Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Official Post Your Progress Guild*~ Writers Support!

Back to Guilds

We support fellow writers by tracking and displaying word and page counts. 

Tags: Writing, Write, Poetry, Novels, Stories 

Reply Plot/Character/Genre Discussion
Writing Fantasy Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nefas Fatum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:35 pm
LOL, yep, that is scary.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:41 pm
it truely is.. it think we've just spawned the first guild meme.  

P a r a d i s e Garden
Vice Captain

Sparkly Star

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:46 am
Wow, I wet myself in fear.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:18 pm
What's a meme?  

Lt Oblivious

Nefas Fatum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:20 pm
Lt Oblivious
What's a meme?

Quote:
Meme
/meem/ n. [coined by analogy with `gene', by Richard Dawkins] An idea considered as a replicator, esp. with the connotation that memes parasitize people into propagating them much as viruses do. Used esp. in the phrase `meme complex' denoting a group of mutually supporting memes that form an organized belief system, such as a religion. This lexicon is an (epidemiological) vector of the `hacker subculture' meme complex; each entry might be considered a meme. However, `meme' is often misused to mean `meme complex'. Use of the term connotes acceptance of the idea that in humans (and presumably other tool- and language-using sophonts) cultural evolution by selection of adaptive ideas has superseded biological evolution by selection of hereditary traits. Hackers find this idea congenial for tolerably obvious reasons.

Jargon File 4.2.0

The current usage of meme certainly came from there, last time I came across one was on 4chan.. P a r a d i s e Garden, are you hinting at something?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:44 am
Nefas Fatum
Lt Oblivious
What's a meme?

Quote:
Meme
/meem/ n. [coined by analogy with `gene', by Richard Dawkins] An idea considered as a replicator, esp. with the connotation that memes parasitize people into propagating them much as viruses do. Used esp. in the phrase `meme complex' denoting a group of mutually supporting memes that form an organized belief system, such as a religion. This lexicon is an (epidemiological) vector of the `hacker subculture' meme complex; each entry might be considered a meme. However, `meme' is often misused to mean `meme complex'. Use of the term connotes acceptance of the idea that in humans (and presumably other tool- and language-using sophonts) cultural evolution by selection of adaptive ideas has superseded biological evolution by selection of hereditary traits. Hackers find this idea congenial for tolerably obvious reasons.

Jargon File 4.2.0

The current usage of meme certainly came from there, last time I came across one was on 4chan.. P a r a d i s e Garden, are you hinting at something?

I apologize for the connotation, I was an avid GDer a few years back so I guess i still have a somewhat warped definition of the term. I suppose it would have been apt to just call it an inside joke.

You can just call me Paradise or Paradi if you'd like. My username is a pain in the a** to type out  

P a r a d i s e Garden
Vice Captain

Sparkly Star

Nefas Fatum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:36 pm
lol, copy - paste smile best way for me to not misspell anyone's name.

Was that when the raids were happening? I have a lack of concept of time but I do remember that at one stage the ToS forbid us to tell someone depressed to kill themselves.. they've taken that out since.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:45 am
Nefas Fatum

Was that when the raids were happening? I have a lack of concept of time but I do remember that at one stage the ToS forbid us to tell someone depressed to kill themselves.. they've taken that out since.

yeah, the raids are actually why I have this account, my other one got raided--it was awesome.  

P a r a d i s e Garden
Vice Captain

Sparkly Star

Lt Oblivious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:36 pm
Nefas Fatum

You're still not supposed to tell people to kill themselves. A mod told me that was against ToS, and I reported somebody for it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:29 pm
Lt Oblivious
Nefas Fatum

You're still not supposed to tell people to kill themselves. A mod told me that was against ToS, and I reported somebody for it.

Wait, you mean like this?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
That picture makes me laugh so much.

theyrenotgonnagetus

Nefas Fatum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:13 pm
Lt Oblivious
Nefas Fatum

Only if the OP reports you.. otherwise, I would now be able to confirm that to you... stupid people! don't tell me I can insult you!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:07 pm
I think we might've gotten just a might bit off topic there xD.

Not that I'm going to be a nag about it, but as the vice captain i do have to inforce some kind of order--so try not to let the bunny trails carry for more than a page or two...or three  

P a r a d i s e Garden
Vice Captain

Sparkly Star

saint_savin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:28 pm
Best OT thread evar XD.

Ahem.

I confess. I like a little sparkly in my fantasy. Bust just a little! And I think most fantasy needs a little sparkle to work well. But! Too much sparkly is like too much rosemary. You will make your readers gag.

I'm getting a little hung up in some fantasy-character profiles I was working on. Too much shiny stuff. Need more regular people who fight with toasters or something...  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:45 am
Example of too much shiny sparkly stuff = Twilight.

I dread to think what the movie is going to be like...

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

P a r a d i s e Garden
Vice Captain

Sparkly Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:10 pm
My fantasy tends to come off as industrial at first, then it becomes sparkly--but its an elegant sparkle. Lol

Acctually in all seriousness if I had to say anything about my brand of fantasy i would have to say that it's thought out almost to a fault.  
Plot/Character/Genre Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff