Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Fantasy fantasy fantasy? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:40 pm
TeaDidikai
Some of them look at neo paganism, others draw from the myths of older cultures. Tolkin? Can we say "Norse Spin off" Alfen, Dwarves "middle earth". Heh.

What impresses me is how spot on Terry Pratchett is. ~swoons~ Esme...

Anyway- most authors can at least scratch the surface of different mythos and religions to make something seem plausible. That's what a good author does. I don't see why it should surprise anyone.
You make so many good points all over the place. 3nodding The various strains of Neo-paganism take most of their elements from the myths and religious systems of older cultures, so when you think a book is based on Neo-paganism it might more likely be using concepts of older systems. Tolkien is the master. If anybody thinks he got his stuff from Neo-paganism, well... I think I'm justified in saying that you're wrong. Am I right? Certainly a Christian mindset (he was a theologian as well as a linguist) with some Norse (thank you Tea) and possibly some others mixed up with his own creative abilities. Not all Christians are "the devil."

I can't believe I forgot about Terry Pratchett. //facepalm// Good one there. He just reaches in there and pulls our world apart and puts it back together again and says "Here, this is what we could be."  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:38 pm
TheDisreputableDog
If anybody thinks he got his stuff from Neo-paganism, well... I think I'm justified in saying that you're wrong. Am I right?

He was known to own a couple different copies [read: translations] of the Eddas- that's for sure.

Pratchett... how on earth did JK ever outsell him?!  

TeaDidikai

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:44 pm
TeaDidikai
I know. It's such a pity that everyone knows her name whether they've read the books or can even read or not and people stare at you funny for mentioning Pratchett. Each of his books are different, even when they involve the same people. Rincewind is always running away but Pratchett says something different with him every time. Rowling doesn't even do humor well, and her plots are getting weaker and weaker. Pratchett seems to have an endless font of good/interesting plots.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:19 pm
I'm in love with Esme Weatherwax. I hope I can be that crotchity when I am her age...  

TeaDidikai

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:29 pm
TeaDidikai
I'm in love with Esme Weatherwax. I hope I can be that crotchity when I am her age...
Yes. Being right can lend to crotchety-ness. I'd say you've got a good bit of that going for you already. Good luck. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:46 pm
I've heard so many good things about Pratchett, I just have to go and read them now. Next time I see Erishkegal, I'll ask her if I can borrow them. She's got a bunch.  

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Wings Akimbo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:13 pm
Yeah that's true.... I noticed that. The wheel of time, Eragon, Tamora Pierce, oh... I can't think of any others, but I know I've read many more.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:49 pm
Crazy Bananna
Yeah that's true.... I noticed that. The wheel of time, Eragon, Tamora Pierce, oh... I can't think of any others, but I know I've read many more.
Tammy was one of the first to get me into the EXTREME fantasy genre ( I eman by that such things that take place on modern earth and are for the most part realistic arent extreme, Tammy, Mercedes Lackey and some Peirs Anthony are)

shows how young I am.  

Deandriea

Nerd

12,050 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:48 pm
fantasy is my FAV. to read. ^-^ i've also read the Dragon Prince books and the books that complet the set, the Dragon Star books. i think i have my fav. authors on my profile.....my spelling sucks so I won't totaly discrase thier names. ^-^  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:32 pm
TheDisreputableDog
TeaDidikai
Yes. Being right can lend to crotchety-ness. I'd say you've got a good bit of that going for you already. Good luck. smile
Why thank you DD... I think. mrgreen

EladrinStarmist
I've heard so many good things about Pratchett, I just have to go and read them now. Next time I see Erishkegal, I'll ask her if I can borrow them. She's got a bunch.

Good news: Most of his books are Stand Alone and need not be read in order to enjoy them.

I suggest you do read them in order if you can- it adds a dimention of humor that I can't quite put into words correctly.

Bad News: His first couple are a little rocky. Wyrd Sisters is about when things get really good.  

TeaDidikai

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:58 pm
TeaDidikai
You've got a lot of knowledge and a healthy dose of common sense. That smacks of Weatherwax to me. I'd say that gives you the right to be crochety. I'm surprised you don't invoke it more often. wink (Also I changed "TD" to "Tea" in an earlier post of mine, sorry about that.)  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:59 pm
Gaiman's actually quite good at his god invoking; his Odin is spot on, from my UPG, though I don't like his Thor. His cosmology carries with it a "gods get their power from humans" element, though, which I don't agree with.

I worry when people start mixing fiction - even good and well researched fiction - with religion. Authors owe allegience first to the story, not to accuracy, and the cosmologies of their world are often VERY different from the world we live in. Also, there's a "lone hero standing against the dark," element to a lot of fiction which feeds Mr. Dark stories; the trend for everyone to be their own unique snowflake battling the fires of hell is getting a little old.

I've also seen cases where people have developed a distinct pathology associated with mistaking fiction for reality. For example, the obsessive pagans who stalked and threatened Mercedes Lacky after she wrote the Diana Tregarde books, claiming she was a Guardian and she had betrayed them by writing about it. THere is a dark, dangerous tendency there, and it makes me wary.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Lotus Poem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:18 pm
Deoridhe

I've also seen cases where people have developed a distinct pathology associated with mistaking fiction for reality. For example, the obsessive pagans who stalked and threatened Mercedes Lacky after she wrote the Diana Tregarde books, claiming she was a Guardian and she had betrayed them by writing about it. THere is a dark, dangerous tendency there, and it makes me wary.

That is so sad,I remember when the Diana Tregarde incident happened. One of her people was even practically assaulted at a convention at one point and she decided to just stop writing them. Tragic those are awesome books. She was talking about it at a book signing shortly after it happened since I brought my Jinx High for her to sign and she asked if I went to Jenks and I told her I went to Union (Jenks v. Union on of the top High School rivlaries in the US at one point smile ) and she signed it "Jenks gets what Jenks deserves!" (sorry off topic at the end there redface )

She was going to write several more of that series too. Of course I understand and respect her putting the safety of her friends and family ahead of a book. I would do the same thing.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:52 am
TheDisreputableDog
TeaDidikai
You've got a lot of knowledge and a healthy dose of common sense. That smacks of Weatherwax to me. I'd say that gives you the right to be crochety. I'm surprised you don't invoke it more often. wink (Also I changed "TD" to "Tea" in an earlier post of mine, sorry about that.)
I evoke my rights, and evoke in my rites- I don't need to invoke my rights, they are already present. wink

Deo>> I missed that drama. People really need to stop smoking crack. cry

How do you feel about the blending of theory (not of story line etc) with faith?

And example would be Granny's Headology- does the concept, because it is based in fiction become invalid?  

TeaDidikai

TagraNar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:23 am
TheDisreputableDog
TeaDidikai
I know. It's such a pity that everyone knows her name whether they've read the books or can even read or not and people stare at you funny for mentioning Pratchett. Each of his books are different, even when they involve the same people. Rincewind is always running away but Pratchett says something different with him every time. Rowling doesn't even do humor well, and her plots are getting weaker and weaker. Pratchett seems to have an endless font of good/interesting plots.

The only problem I've seen with Pratchett is that his plots seem to be based around the same idea: start out with an unassuming characterand then throw them into a situation that escalates to the point that the "hero" must do the right thing or the world will end. I got into a Pratchett kick and was reading book after book (even buying three at a time at the book store) and while each story was different, it all seemed to end up with that basic backbone.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff