Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Just what is culture rape? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gambling Setzer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:39 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
There's also an aspect of culture rape which ties into the systemic racism of Western culture. For example, the white author writes about Native American traditions and makes millions, while hte Native American's are starving in their homes without cars, roads, or public transportation to get to jobs, much less money to spare.

Buckland anyone?

Raymond Buckland I take you mean? If so, I read one of his books. Some of it was ok, but he was far too cocky for my tastes, and rather discriminatory. Rather disappointing, considering my mother bought the book...  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:44 pm
I just got back from the Renaissance Festival and naturally the Celtic Knot and Cross were plastered all over the place, so it sparked my curiosity, as I find the symbol beautiful, but I don't want to be culture snatching. So here we go:

I was wondering, as this has been stated many times, if the Celtic culture is a closed one, then whereabouts in this mess does the "Celtic Cross" fall? Is it or are the contemporary Celtic knots considered part of the "closed-ness" of the culture? (I know that sounds pretty dumb, sorry.)  

puerdemon

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:42 pm
Firstly, just for general information, there is no one Celtic Knot or Cross. They are a genre.
I would argue that what you get is not part of any closed culture.  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:36 pm
Gamble Away Setzer
Raymond Buckland I take you mean? If so, I read one of his books. Some of it was ok, but he was far too cocky for my tastes, and rather discriminatory. Rather disappointing, considering my mother bought the book...
He's pretty bad. His stuff on "G~ Sex Magic" always makes me cringe.  

TeaDidikai

niamhybeag

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:55 am
CuAnnan
TeaDidikai
Fiddlers Green
One thing to look out for tho, is when a Culture is closed, but the religion they are claiming exclusive rights to is not. Not all gods struck pacts of exclusivity with their worshipers.
In the case of oaths between humans and gods, that is one thing, but when a group tries to claim, with no ecclesiastic backing, that their gods belong to them alone, then what?
Good question. A good example of this is Asatru- we see it reflected in the turmoil of the White Supremacists within the theology all the time.

The division between cultural practices and faith are then noted in my book.

This came up in conversation with a Catholic friend of mine last night at dinner.
We were talking about the Gael and how being Catholic did not preclude her from being a Gael. I drew the comparison between Judaism. (Which lead on to the Rabbi/Druid comparison)

I operate under the assumption that most Irish people don't practice the Culture so I asked her. Turns out she is, as was massively demonstrated by her outrage at finding out that the white power movement attempted to coopt CĂșchullain.

That still makes me angry. Who gave them the right? Or put it into their heads that they had the right?

Actually, that brings a question to mind. What do we do about it? Is there any constructive way of combatting culture rape?  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:52 am
niamhybeag
What do we do about it? Is there any constructive way of combatting culture rape?
Education.

Through discussions and a call to intellectual honesty people can be informed of the taboos they are violating and hopefully come to understand the ethnics involved in understanding other cultures.  

TeaDidikai

Gambling Setzer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:19 pm
TeaDidikai
Gamble Away Setzer
He's pretty bad. His stuff on "G~ Sex Magic" always makes me cringe.

I'm afraid I haven't heard that yet. I have heard of him mentioning sex magic, however, I'm not sure he's mentioned her in it completely. Some of his information seemed rather fluffy to me.  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:41 pm
Gamble Away Setzer

I'm afraid I haven't heard that yet. I have heard of him mentioning sex magic, however, I'm not sure he's mentioned her in it completely. Some of his information seemed rather fluffy to me.
Her?  

TeaDidikai

Gambling Setzer

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:30 am
TeaDidikai
Gamble Away Setzer

Her?

Sorry, explain that to me... I was just going to bed when I wrote that, and just waking up now ><  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:03 am
G~ is an abbreviation for an ethnic slur. ~points at the link in her Sig~  

TeaDidikai

Gambling Setzer

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:21 am
TeaDidikai

Ahh, okie, I remember now.
And I've signed the petition as well as read in your journal the contents.  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:22 am
Gamble Away Setzer
TeaDidikai

Spiffy.  

TeaDidikai

Gambling Setzer

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:00 am
TeaDidikai
Gamble Away Setzer
TeaDidikai

Spiffy.

Quite.  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:01 pm
Possibly a dumb question, but I was rereading some of this and realized I haven't seen this addressed in specific:

What about the name of a god or other important theological/mythological figure being used for something else entirely? I'm not talking co-opted for religious aspects, but someone going "gee, this is a neat name, let's use it devoid of context?" Like the Japanese using names like "Shiva" and "Cuchullain" for summonable critters in the Final Fantasy games?

To what level is the name itself something that shouldn't be messed with?  

TatteredAngel

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:27 am
TatteredAngel
Possibly a dumb question, but I was rereading some of this and realized I haven't seen this addressed in specific:

What about the name of a god or other important theological/mythological figure being used for something else entirely? I'm not talking co-opted for religious aspects, but someone going "gee, this is a neat name, let's use it devoid of context?" Like the Japanese using names like "Shiva" and "Cuchullain" for summonable critters in the Final Fantasy games?

To what level is the name itself something that shouldn't be messed with?

The FF creators actually often reference the deities pretty specifically. Odin even rode Sleipnir (albeit Sleipnir with two legs ripped off) when he showed up.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff