Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Ramdragn's Sketchbook Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ramdragn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:56 am
Hi-

Anpu's:
Umm, the palm down? sounds intriguing. Gonna try it lol.

Orockthro-sama:
I see. Yes indeed, it makes sense. I do was scared of overusing the opacity and blending tools. They say, "a master is made by the perfection of many techniques," so I just wanted to try using layer blending by itself.

That's actually a good idea. I was multiplying the line art layer
so it let me see in between, but with opacity I would be able to actually follow the line with the color.

Update. These are two drawings. An old one made a little more in depth and a new one gone bad now that I see it uploaded lol.

Steph-T2 She actually has a pretty face >.< In reality, maybe because of the paper, it doesn't show as if the left half of the face is melting down. (I think it might make sense to add that the "marco" is bended. It was drawn to fit in a bend object and when opened flat it might be because it looks like that . . . lol)

An old project I added some details(like the supposed feathers in the chicken), worked with the shadows and gave it a twist. In this one I had a lot of trouble with the game boy. I discovered it's hard for me to do solid and straight object (I'm mecha disable lol)

-Thank You

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:58 pm
heart
Nifty. You might want to try getting comfortable with one technique before moving on to the next. I've often found myself getting frustrated with programs, but figuring out what you're good at can make a frustrating project really exciting. 3nodding

Multiplying the line art layer is one way of getting the lines separate but you might want to try playing with other ways of doing it too. What I do is make a duplicate channel of "Blue", invert it, and then go to "layers" -> "load selection" and then fill the moving dotted lines with black. Then, you can just delete or fill white the original line art layer. This gives you more flexibility than just using the multiply setting as you can change the color of your lines later on. 3nodding
Here's a less confusing tutorial of how to do that.
Click!

The new drawings:
Yay! I love seeing your traditional work - it's lovely.
I think you're coming along nicely. heart
One of the things I noticed is that, with most of your drawings, you have a great start and you get the main ideas down, but you don't quite seem to go quite far enough. Push your limits and don't stop drawing until you really feel that the drawing is complete. It is possible to go too far with something, but you won't know what too far is until you try.

I recommend working with form and volume and practicing drawing faces, like Steph's, from real life so you can see how shadows move and fall and create the beautiful forms that they do.
heart

I can't wait to see what you draw next.

3nodding

Orockthro

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items