Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Pop-Music Magic! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:52 am
As of late, I've been including music to help shut my intellect off while I make self observations and clean up personal blocks. The music helps to keep my mind focused on the solution, as well as wake my emotions up so they in turn can rouse the rest of me in getting rid of what ever block it is i'm working on.

Oft times I will use some more modern bands...some times for the instrumental power, or for the lyrical content....My Darkest Cave Has been used quite frequently.

When intend to visit my benefactor in sleep, rather then have him yank me from whatever dream I'm having, I like to pop this song on...Show me a sign.He finds it amusing.

This is quite a well known band and song, but i've used it to fill the auditory gap in my meditative white zone. There nothing exists but my small garden I tend to, and this song. I have not to do but listen to the message of the song, and tend to growth. Sometimes.....it's almost better the grounding.

I actually avoid grounding to particular songs, because I wish to avoid being linked to the song so strongly. If it were to come on randomly, and I was in a place where I was not expecting....the grounding might not be clean....and that would not end well for me.  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:21 pm
CuAnnan
This one works in Ireland.

Aw, man. I can't express to you, how sick I am of that song. It plays in just about every store I go to.

@ OP: I don't practice magic, so I couldn't tell you the effect it has on me. I do listen to music every waking moment, though. Some kinds of music can help me journey deep into the center of the mind, and others just let me enjoy myself, so I assume it would have great effect on magic practices.

The reason I was first interested in studying magic in-depth was because of musicians like Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) and Dave Mustaine (Megadeth) claiming to have used magic before they were famous; In Page's case, he still claims to this day that he is a Magus, and studied Crowley's teachings intensely.

Would this practice be "fluffy?" I guess that depends on your definition. Jimmy Page claims to have fused his magic with his musicianship, so if the end result is something of the caliber of Led Zeppelin, I'd have to say I don't really care if you call it "fluffy" -- i'm hopping on that boat to creating the greatest music of all time! Haha.

When I want to think, I listen to Frank Zappa. I groove to stuff like this and this though. A lot of stuff in between too; It's hard to think of what I would use specifically to achieve a "magical" aim.  

Nattfodd

Tyrannical Princess

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:15 pm
patch99329
Bacodus
patch99329
I don't so magic, so I'll talk about misc. ritual, meditation etc.

I don't like pop music that much sweatdrop , and so I don't. I'm a bit of a rivet head. xD
I like to listen to industrial music whilst meditating sometimes, it knocks the thoughts out of your head.

I'll echo patch here. I'm a rivethead as well, so generally I make it Feindflug if I need music for some reason.

It's grendel for me 3nodding

Grendel works for the most part as well, mostly because of their hard house influences, but the Full Metal Jacket quotes REALLY distract me on occasion. Since Feindflug is in German, most of the time if I'm not paying attention, it's fairly incomprehensible.  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:54 pm
I personally think that Music is an integral part of life and so should be an integral part of Magic. Since I'm also a big believer in the "use what works" school of thought there is no reason why whatever type of music turns you on should be involved in whatever type of magic gets you off... so to speak.  

Shavis

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:08 am
I don't know if it's actually the appropriate thread, but I've made a copy of one of the two self-written songs that I find incredibly cthartic.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:54 pm
I don't think it would be fluffy to use a certain type of music. Whatever gets one into the right state of mind. And I liked Enya xD  

Gambling Setzer

Sivirs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:04 pm
Classical music, and even some less deity-specific Christian hymns, are pretty adaptable for meditation and magic too, IMO. Gabriel Faure's Requiem, and much of Chopin's work, is also pretty magical for me. And "Abide With Me," for example, is a very, very powerful hymn written by a man as he was dying. That kind of energy stays with the music. To this day, that hymn will make me cry a good 90% of the time I hear it, even if I'm in a great mood. It's pretty cathartic.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:20 am
I have never messed with rituals or magic before, but I meditate fairly often and always to music. The only pop musician I can do it to is Imogen Heap, though, and only certain songs like "Have You Got It In You?" and "The Walk". Mostly because of her airy singing quality and unique style of layering vocal recordings.

Pop music tends to be too simplistic for me to focus on, and not repetitive enough to be absorbed in.
Bacodus
patch99329
I'm a bit of a rivet head. xD
I'm a rivethead as well
I always thought Rivethead was a pejorative label for people like this?  

With Motion

patch99329

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:27 pm
With Motion
I have never messed with rituals or magic before, but I meditate fairly often and always to music. The only pop musician I can do it to is Imogen Heap, though, and only certain songs like "Have You Got It In You?" and "The Walk". Mostly because of her airy singing quality and unique style of layering vocal recordings.

Pop music tends to be too simplistic for me to focus on, and not repetitive enough to be absorbed in.
Bacodus
patch99329
I'm a rivethead as well

Yeah it is.
I'm a rivet head music wise, but on a regular day I don't wear PVC miniskirts and dread falls.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:55 pm
patch99329
With Motion

Bacodus
patch99329
I'm a rivethead as well

Yeah it is.
I'm a rivet head music wise, but on a regular day I don't wear PVC miniskirts and dread falls.
That's very good to hear sweatdrop
I don't mind some of the music associated with it. It can be pretty enjoyable (hocico, vnv nation, haujobb, etc).  

With Motion

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:41 pm
CuAnnan
On depression
For ctharsis, as opposed to counter patterning, I like
this one, this one, this one, this one
I'd never heard of Skunk Anansie. Those were good songs.

CuAnnan
Oh give these clay feet wings to fly / To touch the face of the stars
A prayer I repeat often.

Also, Jonathan Coulton rules.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:04 pm
TheDisreputableDog
Oh give these clay feet wings to fly / To touch the face of the stars
A prayer I repeat often.

Same here. An inspiring song -- it's actually on a playlist I have for when I'm biking the local trail. It's just a great song to move body, mind and soul.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:11 pm
I'm not sure I've used "regular" music for meditation or magic or ritual ever. I do have a playlist of music that...takes me to the next level, I guess I would say. I drop out of normal headspace into something else.

Requiem for a Dream, Paul Oakenfold (and the original)
Silo Lullaby, Toad the Wet Sprocket
Northern Cross, Cry Cry Cry (<- lyrics, couldn't find the whole song but you can look up a sample to hear somewhat the effect)
Prayer for England, Angel, Massive Attack
Inside of You, In Spite of You, When Everyone Forgets, ThouShaltNot (sorry, best example I could find...)
Even Gods Do, Thea Gilmore
Ohureo, Baka Beyond (pretty much only example I could find)
Tik Tik Boom, Peter Gresser
Haunted, Poe
Virginia, God, Tori Amos
City of Delusion, Muse (lots of Muse, actually)
Gravedigger, Dave Matthews Band
Jolene, Mindy Smith
The Police and the Private, Metric
Lightning Rod, Guster
Hunted by a Freak, Mogwai
Eden, Hooverphonic
White Rabbit, Collide (nothing against the original though)
Gin Soaked Boy, Divine Comedy
Beautiful, Joydrop

Some songs remind me of gods, or are to help me know Them better.
Gravedigger is a Wepwawet-Yinepu song. She's Always a Woman is Aset. You Know My Name is Set.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:30 pm
This one is one of the most powerful songs I know. The imagery is fantastic and I love the Black family. I grew up listening to them, so I admit the power may come from that. But I can't listen to that song without the goosebumps crawling from the base of my spine to the tips of my fingers.
I know it's folk, not pop. But I felt I could take liberties.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

With Motion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:34 pm
TheDisreputableDog
I'm not sure I've used "regular" music for meditation or magic or ritual ever. I do have a playlist of music that...takes me to the next level, I guess I would say. I drop out of normal headspace into something else.

Prayer for England, Angel, Massive Attack
Massive Attack is an amazing group. I love the bristol sound.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff