Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Limely's Sketchbook Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Limely

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:45 am
User Image
Awrighty, here's what I currently have. :3 What do you think about the composition now?
(does it stretch your page, btw? Doesn't stretch mine, but I have a rather big screen...)

I'm going to play around with colours in Photoshop a bit and see what I can come up with now.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:47 pm
I've started to roughly block in the colours. I've decided to paint this digitaly after all... Though it's coming along rather slow since my tablet is of the more wonky type (Trust, whoohoo).
Will continue tomorrow. It's late now, but I'd love to hear it if you think there's something I'm doing extremely wrong already.

With the pencil sketch:
User Image

Without the pencil sketch:
User Image

Like the sunrays. I'm extreeemely uncertain about the sunrays.  

Limely

Ramdragn

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:44 am
hHi-

I don't think you really need the sun rays. It would look better without them as a matter of fact. You might want to make highlights on the objects to emphasize the brightness of the sun instead of actually making the sun rays. For example, a very bright highlight at the sole of rayman's shoe. That's just a suggestion though

-Thank You

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:00 pm
I'm thinking the sun-rays are a bit too much as well. x 3 Thank you.  

Limely

Orockthro

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:36 am
Wow, this is coming along great! heart
The flipped mast and added characters really helped the composition. 3nodding (I love the frogs! xd Your characters have such life to them - it's quite refreshing to see)

I don't think the sunrays are a major problem. If you're not sure, plop them on a separate layer and click visible/invisible over and over again. xd
The pros of the sunrays are that they add a cartoony feel.
The cons are that they might be distracting and "too much information".
You might try experimenting with clouds. You could maybe achieve the same cartoony feel that way but have a less radient (hehe...) focal point.
Then again, if you want to draw attention to the mast, then the sunrays are perfect.
*shrugs*
In the end, it's entirly up to you.
heart

Question: Do you plan on keeping any lines in the final picture?

My only suggestion right now is to make sure your colors don't get too "heavy". The sunrise will have a lightening effect on everything, especially the water, and that can look pretty darn cool. whee I know you've only blocked in color, but for when you get to the actual coloring, don't forget the awesome power of the sun (dun, dun, dunnn......)

mrgreen

Sorry for the late reply on this.
You should post when you've got some more done. heart

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:38 pm
Thank you once again for awesome crits. : 3

I'm definitively going to try out clouds. That might turn out just as nice, I think, if I can get them right.

Nope, I don't think so, the lineart is so messy, and I'm doing sort of corrections to the composition as I go as well, so that's not going to work...

Here's what I've currently got. Haven't gotten much farther as my youngest brother ended up in hospital (but he's okay now) and life in general happened on me and stuff. But this weekend I plan on painting and listening to my new Kaizer's Orchestra cd and do nothing else. |3
User Image
I've also planned out the shadows and highlights on the original sketch so that I have a rough plan. :3

Limely

Orockthro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:43 pm
whee
Yay! heart
First off: I'm sorry about your brother! Eep! Ironically, my brother was in the hospital too... (he's also okay). I'm glad everything is alright. heart

You're making wonderful progress!
Something I suggest is to clean up your color's edges. I'm sure you planed on doing this anyhow, but since you aren't using lines it's important to have clear boundaries between your shapes. 3nodding

Another option (which I'm sure you're aware of) is to digitally make lineart that's cleaner than your sketch. 3nodding Or just turn your sketch to a low opacity... or to do what you're doing and leave it off. xd
Experimenting might get you to where you want to be. 3nodding

I really, really like how things are going - the colors of the sunrise are lovely. I'm afraid I can't help very much more yet. xd

Don't limit yourself to what feels safe! Have fun! heart And good luck. I can't wait to see the next update on this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:10 pm
Wow, it's a small world. xD I'm glad everything's alright on your part too. x3

Actually, the deadline of the contest was today, so I had to whip together an aquarelle-version of this to make it, but I'm going to try and finish this digital version nevertheless, because I need the practise. x3 And I'm getting such lovely help. :3

Here's the aquarelle-version if anyone's interested. I don't really know if I like it or not. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't.
User Image

Nice and sloppy.  

Limely

Orockthro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:39 am
Yeeps! I know I responded to this. Gaia must have eaten my post.

It's too bad about the deadline creeping up on you - I hate it when that happens. BUT, all things considered, you did a great job! You got it finished, after all, and that's half the battle. heart

You chose great colors for the sky. heart I really love those.

You could kinda see this as a color study for your digital piece if you wanted - you got to see what worked and what didn't work 3nodding

I've never used aquarelles before... but they look kinda difficult! xd

Hehe... looks like you had fun though.

Keep working on the digital version! I can't wait to see that completed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:12 am
Thanks for the wise words again. :3
I kinda hated that deadline and the fact that I couldn't take my sweet time on this painting, but oh well...
Aquarelles are fun. :3 They are challenging to work with, and you really have to think your actions trough. Ruining your work is easily done in one brush-stroke. And that's what makes it fun. x3
I'll soon get a better tablet (really, painting digitally is no fun when you have to wrestle with your tablet to make it work again every ten minutes), but until then I think I'll let that painting lie and work on something else meanwhile. I have a sketch I'm currently working on but won't be able to upload in a while, as I don't have scanner access right now, but I'll upload it once I do. :3

Limely

Limely

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:36 pm
I thought I'd let you know I won the contest I participated in with that picture! Thanks so much for your help, I don't think I would've if it wasn't for you! : D  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:41 pm
Wahoo! heart
Congratulations on the win! mrgreen That's super awesome. You totally deserved it.

3nodding

Orockthro

Limely

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:17 pm
*huggles* x3

I have no idea what I won though. It's probably your standard white t-shirt, size XL, with the Ubisoft-logo printed on it or something... x3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:57 pm
xd Too bad it's not $$$.
But hey, better than nothing, right?
heart

Orockthro

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items