Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:33 pm
SavageDamsal
Ixor-san
Meh...

Harry Potter and D&D have nothing to do with the occult. It's all fantasy. Not real. Any one who thinks it is has bigger issues than an interest in the occult. I've been Wiccan. There was no firing lightning bolts out of sticks and we didn't ride around on brooms.

And why are wizards and magic and demons ok in LotR but not in other things?

Not everyone thinks that LotR is ok but those who actually know what they're talking about know that LotR is an allegory and mirrors the battle between good and evil. Narnia is the same too. JRR Tolkein and CS Lewis were friends.
There wasn't nearly the same level of outcry for it as for Harry Potter. And not everyone knows what everything is supposed to represent. To some people, they are both just a form of entertainment. If Harry Potter can lead people into the occult, so can LotR, despite the authors best intentions.

Again, not that either really has anything to do with anything that could constitute rl occult.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:53 am
If one was to take an orthodox view of Christianity and the culture of Jesus' time, one could say nearly everything in the world should be outlawed apart from that particular way of living.

Personally, I've found life isn't as black and white as that.

Priestley

Silver Wingling

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:51 pm
LOTR IS NOT AN ALLEGORY! Tolkien himself said so. It's what he called applicable reading. Just defending my favorite author's interpretation of HIS book.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:08 pm
I've always thought that people read a little too into things sometimes. Like the Matrix being so religious and all. Maybe it is, and maybe people are just finding things that aren't there.  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

SavageDamsal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:14 pm
The Book Never Written
LOTR IS NOT AN ALLEGORY! Tolkien himself said so. It's what he called applicable reading. Just defending my favorite author's interpretation of HIS book.

You're right, it's not a strict allegory. It also has a lot about the economy of the time and satire, etc but part of it he did intend to be allegorical.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:45 pm
the reason why there is alot of hate from the church to harry potter is because of the witch craft and sorcery to it all and the bible says to stay clear way from witch craft and the likes  

Disciple-116

GuardianAngel44

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:22 am
But what they say is witchcraft is actually modifyded (yes, I misspelled on purpose) Latin.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:38 pm
SavageDamsal
The Book Never Written

You're right, it's not a strict allegory. It also has a lot about the economy of the time and satire, etc but part of it he did intend to be allegorical.

Actually, no. I've read his biography. He's on record as stating that he hated allegory. His faith was very strong, though, and God's influence leaked into the pages. smile

Seriously, though. It is not and was never intended to be allegorical. [/debate]

Back on topic, I think that the Harry Potter series is something to be read with discretion, but not banned. I've never actually read the series with the exception of the first few chapters of The Sorcerer's Stone. (I found Harry to be a bit of a brat, actually.) Most of my friends have read it, though, so I get info that way.

So long as you make sure to separate fantasy from reality, I see no problems.  

CrystalMind

Familiar Prophet

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:47 pm
Maybe all this is because the hardcore Christians believe that as they believe everything that is written in a book is truth, completely literal and uncompromising, some of them see that ALL books are that way? *ponders* I'm sure there's SOMEONE out there who fits that bill.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:30 pm
I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan. And I honestly see no wrong in it.
Some people might feel convicted if they watch, though.

Like, my boyfriend's grandparents, for an example.
They don't like Harry Potter so, they don't watch it but they don't mind if he and I watch it. Ya know? =3

It's fiction. Purely that. It's not dealing with God and Satan.
(Like say The Golden Compass.) >_>;
It's pure fantasy, like say a vampire book!

It's just fun to read, that's all.
But if there are Christian's who feel bad about reading it or watching it, no one should get on them.
As they shouldn't get on others who do. =3

I hope I'm making some sense. XD

Romans Chapter 14~

Koutsuku

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:55 am
I agree with you, 100%. Especially about the vampire books. -diehard Twilight fan- xd  
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:15 am
As long as fiction can be put back where it belongs instead of remaining in our hearts, and the Word of God remains in our hearts instead of getting dusty on the shelf, what's the problem?  

Priestley

mistymorning14

3,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:25 pm
Personally I love Harry Potter but I despise J.K. Rowling. I hate how she made Dumbledore gay. I think she did it just to get more readers.

I think that if someone doesn't take the books seriously then whats the harm in reading them? Yes they may be about magic but good triumphs over evil.

I have heard of younger kids believing that they are wizards or witches and trying witchcraft because of the books. I think that the parents have to make the decision. If their kids aren't mature enough to realize that Hogwarts isn't real then they shouldn't let them read HP. Both my parents didn't like the books and wouldn't let me read them because of what they had heard. But when I was 11 they said I could and I love them. My parents don't mind them anymore but they don't particularly like the 4th books ending. Its very dark and I myself don't like it.

Thats my view.  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:28 am
Lethkhar
I think it's funny. Harry Potter was a great series, though I did have some complaints around the time the fifth one came out.

'Nough said.

The movie or the book?  

GuardianAngel44

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:37 pm
GuardianAngel44
Lethkhar
I think it's funny. Harry Potter was a great series, though I did have some complaints around the time the fifth one came out.

'Nough said.

The movie or the book?

The books, of course.

The movies just suck.  
Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items