Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Music - Related Topics
What band/artist got you into our subculture's music? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xStephanx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:52 am
Rellik San

Replace with Celtic Frost

Metal.

Quote:
Morbid Angel,

Death metal.

Quote:
My Dying Bride...

Doom metal.

Quote:
keep the Cure,

Who are Goth.

Quote:
Siouxsie

Goth.

Quote:
and Sisters though. :3

And Goth again.

The relationship between Goth and metal is an interesting one. The two subcultures dress similar (although not entirely the same, never seen a Goth with all the black metaller spiked guantlets and stuff). I suppose what really seperates them is a) music and b) where they go to hear it. I can't see many thrash metallers getting much out of Blutengel.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:18 am
xStephanx
Rellik San

Metal.

Quote:
Morbid Angel,

Death metal.

Quote:
My Dying Bride...

Doom metal.

Quote:
keep the Cure,

Who are Goth.

Quote:
Siouxsie

Goth.

Quote:

And Goth again.

The relationship between Goth and metal is an interesting one. The two subcultures dress similar (although not entirely the same, never seen a Goth with all the black metaller spiked guantlets and stuff). I suppose what really seperates them is a) music and b) where they go to hear it. I can't see many thrash metallers getting much out of Blutengel.

I believe its easier to think of the two as to a degree interchangeable and by the way, every metaller and goth I know goes to Jilly's rock world. smile

You can talk about purism all you want, but in the end, the two have borrowed and exchanged from each other so much the line is fairly blurry.  

Rellik San
Crew

xStephanx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:38 pm
Rellik San
xStephanx
Rellik San

Metal.

Quote:
Morbid Angel,

Death metal.

Quote:
My Dying Bride...

Doom metal.

Quote:
keep the Cure,

Who are Goth.

Quote:
Siouxsie

Goth.

Quote:

And Goth again.

I believe its easier to think of the two as to a degree interchangeable and by the way, every metaller and goth I know goes to Jilly's rock world. smile

You can talk about purism all you want, but in the end, the two have borrowed and exchanged from each other so much the line is fairly blurry.

Hmmm... I don't agree at all.

See the Goth and industrial subculture are indeed interchangable. They have crossed over and borrowed to the point some of their biggest artists attract the same crowd - Bauhaus supporting NIN, VNV Nation sharing a stage with Clan of Xymox, and so forth.

Metal is metal. There are indeed Goth metal bands, but they are an exception rather than the rule.

Goths who go to rock clubs are probably settling for second best - something that doesn't really happen around here with the dedicated Goth clubs (such as Slimelight) and metallers preferring live gigs or rock clubs (such as The Underworld) to the (almost exclusively) eletronic modern Gothic scene.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:37 pm
xStephanx
Rellik San
xStephanx
Rellik San

Metal.

Quote:
Morbid Angel,

Death metal.

Quote:
My Dying Bride...

Doom metal.

Quote:
keep the Cure,

Who are Goth.

Quote:
Siouxsie

Goth.

Quote:

And Goth again.

Hmmm... I don't agree at all.

See the Goth and industrial subculture are indeed interchangable. They have crossed over and borrowed to the point some of their biggest artists attract the same crowd - Bauhaus supporting NIN, VNV Nation sharing a stage with Clan of Xymox, and so forth.

Metal is metal. There are indeed Goth metal bands, but they are an exception rather than the rule.

Goths who go to rock clubs are probably settling for second best - something that doesn't really happen around here with the dedicated Goth clubs (such as Slimelight) and metallers preferring live gigs or rock clubs (such as The Underworld) to the (almost exclusively) eletronic modern Gothic scene.

Well I can see your point to a degree, but I think its a matter of seperation via the ages, I know people who do find the roles of goth and metaller interchangeable, hell knows I ride the slip stream between the two myself.  

Rellik San
Crew

AdrianaKitten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:57 am
dramallama NIN > Lacuna coil > bauhaus > Lacuna Coil dramallama  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 pm
I know that Evanesance is rock, but they were sort of my 'gateway drug' to goth.

I think that the first actual gothic artists (okay... more darkwave-ish, but whatever...) that I obsessed over were Collide and The Cruxshadows. Everything just kind of developed from there...  

DreamerSpirit

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:24 am
AdrianaKitten
dramallama NIN > Lacuna coil > bauhaus > Lacuna Coil dramallama

Which means Bauhaus are better than themselves. In theory, Lacuna Coil could be better than NIN which automatically makes Bauhaus better than them too.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:29 am
Candy Bomber
The Cruxshadows, definently.

Kostbarer Alptraum

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:42 am
Laharl Part Deux
Siouxsie And The Banshees and The Sisters of Mercy.

Moi aussi.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:53 pm
While I did like The Cure before, The Sisters of Mercy and Bauhaus brought me into the subculture.  

osirisgoauldgoddess

Oreo the Sphinx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:52 pm

Sounds funny, but the Velvet Underground with "Venus in Furs"
And then Siouxsie and the Banshees for sure ... I discovered them from their cover of "Venus in Furs", and that led on to Bauhaus and the Sisters and stuff
heart  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:29 am
When I started to identify myself as a goth, I was listening to Evanescence a lot, convinced that they were a part of gothic music redface I'm not saying I dislike them now, I still listen to them every now and then, but earlier I just had no understanding what goth music was, neither could I understand that Evanescence were not a goth band.
But well, everyone had to start somewhere razz
Only then I discovered the 80's, and specially Siouxsie & the Banshees, with whose songs I instantly fell in love. They are still very special to me and they have some unique charm I'm not finding anywhere else... so much originality in each one of the songs and albums, and the great voice... and Siouxsie herself is a pretty cool personality too.
Then I got to know more from the gothic rock and also got to like stuff of the ethereal/ambient genre... Now my very most loved gothic bands are still S&TB and also Lacrimosa.  

Ametrin

Labradorescence

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:25 am
Evanescence (not saying they're goth, but I had listened to mostly pop before I got into them)  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:24 am
Hm, let me think. The first band that I heard of was Siouxsie and the Banshees but I hadn't listened to any of their music. The first song I heard was Hurricane Fighter Plane by Alien Sex Fiend. It was the only track I could find on Napster for ASF. Needless to say I was hooked!  

Ms Dahl

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:34 pm
NightOceanGirl221
Evanescence (not saying they're goth, but I had listened to mostly pop before I got into them)

*Shouldershrug* then who was your first goth band?  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff