Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Apiyo's Sketchbook-Updated 9/11/2009 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Anetra_Pendragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:44 pm
Her knees are a bit chubby looking for the size of her upper body. If she was supposed to be a bigger sort of girl, widening her shoulders and bust area should help. If she wasn't, then the knees could stand to be brought in a bit.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:38 am
I've inked the Tiger pic. Any tips about line weight would be appreciated.

User Image

I also sketched some other stuff the other day when I was bored.
User Image
User Image  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:37 am
That DS girl is wonderful. Very much in the spirit of the system since she's to lively. I would say that when you're moving to more final lines, use a straight edge for the parallel sides of the stylus.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:21 am
I've been working on some realisticly rendered faces.
User Image  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:15 am
I think they got better as you went down the page. The cartoon ones look like their necks are a bit thick, but maybe they're just overweight people and if that's the case, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The more realistic people came out well. I think your should keep working on people from magazines. Don't forget to draw men. (Although it's harder to find decent shots of men.)  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:32 pm
Errol McGillivray
I think they got better as you went down the page. The cartoon ones look like their necks are a bit thick, but maybe they're just overweight people and if that's the case, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The more realistic people came out well. I think your should keep working on people from magazines. Don't forget to draw men. (Although it's harder to find decent shots of men.)

Thanks alot. I think I do better for the moment at copying than drawing them from my head. I copied the three women at the bottom from magazines. I'll see if I can find some good man pictures.  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:24 pm
apiyo
Errol McGillivray

Thanks alot. I think I do better for the moment at copying than drawing them from my head. I copied the three women at the bottom from magazines. I'll see if I can find some good man pictures.
Well, we do studies, which is pretty much copying from life to learn things about the body. That's how any class will do it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:35 pm
I drew some more things. Unfortunately my scanner is wonkey so I could only scan this page Xp. For now we've got a hair model and a disabled Iraqi war vet(I fear he came out looking much too old).

User Image  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:04 am
Okay, here we go. I found a variety of faces to draw.
User Image

And here's some sketches of torsos done with my left hand because my stupid right wrist was sore.
User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:37 am
Some scenes I did that required perspectives. That car at the bottom is way to big...

User Image

User Image  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:21 pm
I sketched out a few pictures of a random person. I'm experimenting with posing and bodylanguage. How well does her body language convey her personality?

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:49 pm
You've been hard at work. That's great.

I've been busy as hell, so I haven't been around much, but fortunately, the brunt of it is over. I will go through as much as I can over the week. Right now, I'm looking at the figures sketches. Anime is a pretty ******** bad anatomy teacher. If you take a look at the skeleton, you know how the femur's got that part where it sticks out at the hip? That's the anatomical vertical mid line of the body. So your legs and feet from there down are the same length as the rest of the body. That should help you not make overly long legs.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:28 am
A link on account of stretched pages.

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs27/f/2009/254/5/a/Sketch_dump_by_mangachan.jpg

I found it in my heart to finally scan some things. This was drawn mostly in the summer except for the freckles girl, and the guy and his little tobagan sister. Those were drawn a few days ago. Thanks for all the critiques, I've been taking them to heart, especially the leg length thing (probably too much, their legs seem kind of small, but mabe it's just me).

I drew some realistic rendered people but left the sketch book and couldn't scan it. I should really condense more. I'm taking a drawing class so now I'm not scared of portraiture any more, so I'll be scanning somemore things. Okay, enough blabbering from me, critique away.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:03 am
Saddly I won't be able to make any posts for the time being because I don't have access to a scanner.  

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:03 pm
Your drawings are getting better and better every time you post.

Be careful of your ground plane. Making the heels and toes line up makes one leg look short.

Also, I know how it goes with the scanner. I don't have one that works right now either. I just take photos.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff