Submit

Gothic Muffin of Doom

Dangerous Vampire

10,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:34 pm
I'm so glad people are responding to my thread. Thanks everyone.
I can see that people don't usually tend to bother you about what you look like or listen to, I hope the people in my country were more tolerant.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:29 am
Where I live (Colorado of the U.S.) you're judged everywhere you go (unless you're amoung your own people of course). I've had people disrespect me pleanty (some to my face). Music is even worse. I get blank stares when I say I listen to electronic music, trance, darkwave.

But it's not so rare to see goths in public, people don't care unless they're just stuck up that way. It's less comon these days since goth isn't so popular in highschool anymore.

To be goth here I think is nice. It can be rough or easy depending on your atmosphere of course. For me it's calm even though I'm different from just about everyone else.

ShadowLotus

Gothic Muffin of Doom

Dangerous Vampire

10,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:59 am
Quote:
It's less comon these days since goth isn't so popular in highschool anymore.

That's an interesting theory wink
Here Goth isn't popular anywhere.it's just like doing something wrong.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:03 pm
Vampyr Heartagram
Quote:
It's less comon these days since goth isn't so popular in highschool anymore.

That's an interesting theory wink
Here Goth isn't popular anywhere.it's just like doing something wrong.

Aww I'm sorry about that. There are those here that think that way too, especially within certain communities. And certain church groups.

So does everyone there pretty much look the same? That would drive me nuts ^^;;

ShadowLotus

ffsghyanbh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:37 pm
XWraith_LordX
DreamerSpirit
Vampyr Heartagram

Another annoying thing here is that if you listen to anything that's not pop or local music, people accuse you of having a very bad taste in music (especially once you mention Metallica).

People here accuse you of having bad taste in music no matter what you listen to. The most prominent genres of music in America seem to be hip-hop, rock, and pop. Most people listen to almost solely American music, and deem foregin music as being lessser than American music. There is constant bickering about which is better among the fans of each prominent music genre, and if you like other, less prominent genres, then people think that you are odd and that your music must suck (even if they have never even heard of the genres you listen to). People here are wierd about music.
Yeah....many "music fans" out here in America are terrible. Just because I'm not a fan of your genera doesn't mean I'm going to insult you and tell you that you listen to complete noise, I'll respect you as long as you have respect for others. I listen to "foreign music" and don't cosider it lesser at all, but I do know some people who think that it is sadly...Personally, I'm a fan of punk rock, goth rock, metal, and some grunge. I like some other stuff here and there too....You know what I really hate though? The "celtic doom metal is better than your speed metal crap" or "thats such an emo band you loser" conversations.... stressed

Well, the thing is, there's only one true Celtic doom metal band and that's, you know, Celtic Frost, they've got it in their name. And speed metal is limited anyway, so it's kind of another way of saying "Celtic Frost kicks Motorhead's a**", it's a twenty-dollar form.

Statistically, there have been emo bands in the past that have been listened to by losers. Trufax, and now you know.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:14 am
When I used to live in the US, I lived in a country town in Texas. When I started dressing goth, it was virtuously unheard of. We were getting threatened and old people yelled at us in grocery stores and stuff, lol... I still hear this happening but, its a lot more popular now. Every once in a while you get a retarded person that just comes up to you and says something stupid... and you really get outrage if thats what your asking for, but its definatly gotten alot better.
Now I live in Germany. I don't really go all out anymore but I have a couple of times and the people on post don't seem to care, and likewise generally out at the markets and stuff... I think i'm stared at more because i'm an American than that I have purple hair or baggy pants lol.

lyssiah

Violette the Violent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:29 am
In Germany being goth - above all in the country or in smaller villages - means to be starred all the time and to be called 'Satan' or something like that.
In bigger cities nobody really cares about ones look but one still has to be more careful behaving right in public than people who are dressed the normal way. Men are very prejudiceful if they find any reasons I think...

Personally I experienced that teachers wanted to talk to gothic pupil's parents because they thought they would be strange...  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:29 am
SUICIDE AS AN ART FORM
XWraith_LordX
DreamerSpirit
Vampyr Heartagram

Another annoying thing here is that if you listen to anything that's not pop or local music, people accuse you of having a very bad taste in music (especially once you mention Metallica).

People here accuse you of having bad taste in music no matter what you listen to. The most prominent genres of music in America seem to be hip-hop, rock, and pop. Most people listen to almost solely American music, and deem foregin music as being lessser than American music. There is constant bickering about which is better among the fans of each prominent music genre, and if you like other, less prominent genres, then people think that you are odd and that your music must suck (even if they have never even heard of the genres you listen to). People here are wierd about music.
Yeah....many "music fans" out here in America are terrible. Just because I'm not a fan of your genera doesn't mean I'm going to insult you and tell you that you listen to complete noise, I'll respect you as long as you have respect for others. I listen to "foreign music" and don't cosider it lesser at all, but I do know some people who think that it is sadly...Personally, I'm a fan of punk rock, goth rock, metal, and some grunge. I like some other stuff here and there too....You know what I really hate though? The "celtic doom metal is better than your speed metal crap" or "thats such an emo band you loser" conversations.... stressed

Well, the thing is, there's only one true Celtic doom metal band and that's, you know, Celtic Frost, they've got it in their name. And speed metal is limited anyway, so it's kind of another way of saying "Celtic Frost kicks Motorhead's a**", it's a twenty-dollar form.

Statistically, there have been emo bands in the past that have been listened to by losers. Trufax, and now you know.

Yah but no body ever has any basis to back what they're saying up, then they change their opinion the very next day...  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Gothic Muffin of Doom

Dangerous Vampire

10,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:01 pm
Thanks everyone for sharing you opinions. smile
Quote:
So does everyone there pretty much look the same? That would drive me nuts ^^;;

Yes dear, especially girls,they look so much the same that sometimes i can't tell the difference, there is a trend in here that whatever comes in fashion is followed by everyone (Not including me) and by whatever i really mean it. And it drives me nuts too.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:20 pm
I've never had any weird looks for how I dress.

As for my piercings, that's another story.

And when I shaved my head, THAT got some looks. Women with shaved heads usually do. But I wanted to do it, so whatever.

If my parents won't kick me out of the house for it, I do it.

Sucks to know that you're being screwed into a cookie cutter mold, my friend. >.<

As for music, can you even compare Celtic Frost to Motorhead? It's like going, "Hey, Granny Smith Apples are the BEST of all Apples and therefore beat all Oranges as well."

It doesn't work. xD

Any of my "obsessed with music, majoring in it" friends will tell you that. You should have seen some of my friends when these two guys were arguing over who was the better band: Emperor or Amon Amarth.

Man, Eddie was like, "STFU you're doing it wrong."

When it comes down to *me* saying who I think the better band is, I don't really go into music theory reasons so much as personal tastes. I like one band, and may not like another band, even if they sound similar. There are certain "combos" that hit it for me, and even then, I may only like certain songs by those bands.

Cause, you know, once you break that combo, my love for you is over 9,000. I may just do a barrel roll over it.

(Like my list of awesome on my profile that I need to update. XD)

Simim

5,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Gothic Muffin of Doom

Dangerous Vampire

10,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:23 pm
I guess a girl with a shaved head will be looked at anywhere :S.
And beleive me i hate that cookie molder thing, i have three peircings in one ear and people already call me crazy for getting them, they can't hurt themselves.
and in the music thing, I don't know what motorhead is, I listen to Heavy metal and thrash metal, and some times gothic rock, but here the bands that you call mainstream (like Korn, Megadeth, etc...) are not even famous so it's so weird that i even know them. I might take a look at celtic forst then smile .  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:10 am
Hm dunno really...in Italy I always had a some kind of interesting sometime exagereted style, ofc people where looking at me quite a lot but not many of them where bothering me except my father =P anyway I was doing an art shool and that is a free enviroment where to express yourself.  

YellowRavenInk

Opinionated Bibliophile

12,775 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500

Oreo the Sphinx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:50 am

I live in South India, where there is a small population of Goths. I know of one other girl who's Goth (and she is more Goth than me, in terms of clothing and make-up at least. But she listens to Green Day and Fall Out Boy, so I'm not sure if she's really THAT Goth), but they're very rare over here.
Siouxsie and the Banshees is the only Goth band whose music you can buy here in India and it's hard to dress up Goth because you simply don't get that much Goth-looking stuff here. Black nailpolish is really rare and so is dark make-up (but I'm not really into make-up besides nailpolish xd ). I found a silver pentacle pendant that I bought in this tiny store and apparently it's the last of its kind because I've never seen it there again, and I've never seen anyone else with a pentacle.
There's hardly any stigma associated with being a Goth in india because no one even knows what Goth society really is. biggrin It's a funny situation, really.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:07 pm
The situation i south India is a little similar to Egypt. Here Goth stuff is so rare too especially the clothing, the make up is available though. Goth accessories are found along with punk and Metalhead ones are found in one store. I have never come across a Siouxie CD here. And last but not least, I'm not an expert in the Goth music but i know that green day and fall out boy aren't goth bands.  

Gothic Muffin of Doom

Dangerous Vampire

10,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0

The Goth Apple

Dapper Dabbler

14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:45 pm
lyssiah
When I used to live in the US, I lived in a country town in Texas. When I started dressing goth, it was virtuously unheard of. We were getting threatened and old people yelled at us in grocery stores and stuff, lol... I still hear this happening but, its a lot more popular now. Every once in a while you get a retarded person that just comes up to you and says something stupid... and you really get outrage if thats what your asking for, but its definatly gotten alot better.
Now I live in Germany. I don't really go all out anymore but I have a couple of times and the people on post don't seem to care, and likewise generally out at the markets and stuff... I think i'm stared at more because i'm an American than that I have purple hair or baggy pants lol.
I dunno... people said stupid things to me before I started dressing goth... I don't think it's connected.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff