Reply Adults 18 and Older : Exclusive!
Fat people Beware Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Guardian of Fire 666

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:51 am
In Canada, we've had a couple of articles talking about poor people being more obese then those who are well off. That was due to them having better access to McDonalds and places like that, since they cost less. They kept talking about it and saying it's horrible, yet not giving any thoughts of a resolution for it.
I think it's mainly for the press.
The article that you stated sounds like it's a, hey look! We have some news to talk about! Sort of thing.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:26 pm
*Yeah* I dont know..but If it ever became a law.. i would leave this country so bad..  

Foghorn_Moonlight_Goddess

Original Gaian

14,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200

Melena Rai

Magical Phantom

18,425 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Winter Guardian 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:41 pm
you can't blame everything on it being cheap .. what people dont' realize is that you can easily go to the store and buy the things say a roasted chicken and a bag of lettuce and some veggies .. say spend 10-15 dollars and as long as you portion it right and don't drown it in dressing it can last for 3-4 portions.

grant you i am not in any way able to say it is only cuz they are lazy cuz yes i don't get to the store and i don't take the time to prepare my own meals to cut down on cost or calories but it can be done.. just needs alot of effort.. .. sad but true usa just doesn't budget time or money well anymore.. easy is best in most peoples eyes  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:41 pm
well there are people like me who dont know how to cook.. LOL... I woulddie if I had to cook my own meals all the time.  

Original Gaian

14,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200

Melena Rai

Magical Phantom

18,425 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Winter Guardian 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:52 pm
foghorn_moonlight_goddess
well there are people like me who dont know how to cook.. LOL... I woulddie if I had to cook my own meals all the time.
lol my problem is i get tired of the same meals so when logically it would be great to make like a huge salad to last like a few meals or a larger portioned pasta dish and store it away .. i never feel like cooking or making it  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:51 pm
Melena Rai
you can't blame everything on it being cheap .. what people dont' realize is that you can easily go to the store and buy the things say a roasted chicken and a bag of lettuce and some veggies .. say spend 10-15 dollars and as long as you portion it right and don't drown it in dressing it can last for 3-4 portions.

grant you i am not in any way able to say it is only cuz they are lazy cuz yes i don't get to the store and i don't take the time to prepare my own meals to cut down on cost or calories but it can be done.. just needs alot of effort.. .. sad but true usa just doesn't budget time or money well anymore.. easy is best in most peoples eyes

If you're talking about budgeting, then I don't know. Depending how much you have to spend, buying healthy food is not cheap. While buying something from the store can and usually is cheaper, healthier isn't the case.

Cheap subway sandwich (3 meals) - (2.99 x 3) + tax
Chicken (cooked-not fried) & Veggies (frozen) - 10.99 + 2.00 + tax
Chicken (cooked-fried) & Veggies (seansoned and cooked) - 5.99 + 2.99 + tax
Ramen noodles (3 for 3 meals) - (0.17 x 3) + tax
McDonald's Value Meal (3 burgers for 3 meals) - (0.99 x 3) + tax

**note that uncooked chicken would be cheaper in some cases, but then you go into buying seasonings (if you're into that kinda thing) but they're only pennies if we're dividing it into the amount you would use to cook**

By the cheapest scenerio, if you had a dollar for just the next days (three meals each day), than one day of eating nothing but those cheap noodles could do. For protein, it would be best to get canned meat (tuna's under a dollar), and canned vegetables. But at this point, you're getting way too much salt and you're probably not drinking enough water so high blood pressure is something to look out for. While the best alternative mentioned above is the most expensive.

Being an adult, you have a choice of being fiscally responsible or not. Most people aren't going to forego their electricity bill to eat healthy. And at that point, you probably killed your way of cooking healthier unless you're doing outdoor grilling. Either way, you're consuming money to cook this food.

But if you're making enough to pay bills, and shop for let's say $100 a week, you could buy healthy foods (except in California because everything healthy is ridiculously overprices cause of hippy bastards >.>).

Selene Dendawga

Beloved Lunatic

OoChIcKeNoO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:19 am
Selene Dendawga
Melena Rai

If you're talking about budgeting, then I don't know. Depending how much you have to spend, buying healthy food is not cheap. While buying something from the store can and usually is cheaper, healthier isn't the case.

Cheap subway sandwich (3 meals) - (2.99 x 3) + tax
Chicken (cooked-not fried) & Veggies (frozen) - 10.99 + 2.00 + tax
Chicken (cooked-fried) & Veggies (seansoned and cooked) - 5.99 + 2.99 + tax
Ramen noodles (3 for 3 meals) - (0.17 x 3) + tax
McDonald's Value Meal (3 burgers for 3 meals) - (0.99 x 3) + tax

**note that uncooked chicken would be cheaper in some cases, but then you go into buying seasonings (if you're into that kinda thing) but they're only pennies if we're dividing it into the amount you would use to cook**

By the cheapest scenerio, if you had a dollar for just the next days (three meals each day), than one day of eating nothing but those cheap noodles could do. For protein, it would be best to get canned meat (tuna's under a dollar), and canned vegetables. But at this point, you're getting way too much salt and you're probably not drinking enough water so high blood pressure is something to look out for. While the best alternative mentioned above is the most expensive.

Being an adult, you have a choice of being fiscally responsible or not. Most people aren't going to forego their electricity bill to eat healthy. And at that point, you probably killed your way of cooking healthier unless you're doing outdoor grilling. Either way, you're consuming money to cook this food.

But if you're making enough to pay bills, and shop for let's say $100 a week, you could buy healthy foods (except in California because everything healthy is ridiculously overprices cause of hippy bastards >.>).
YAY HIPPIES! :B

I can honestly say its neither cheap to eat out or eat at home with the way gass prices are the price of food has increased now.

A box of cereal a gallon of milk some bread and bananas cost me $45.00 out here in san jose. I burn through all of those things within a week.

Either way i think the law is kinda dumb. You cant force people to be healthier... you can only encourage and educate them. People have a hard time differentiating what is healthy from their meals and what isnt... Teaching people what is good for their diet based on their life style and body type and amount of excersize is probably the best way to help them loose weight.

A simple change in your diet can help you loose tons of weight, and the meals can still include food that is from a resturant.

I know because im living it now... :]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:02 pm
Good point. Not everyone understand nutrition and what is good and what isn't. Like buying "healthy" cereals that have all the vitamns you need in a day. However, even if it is true, your body's probably not going to absorb all those nutrients from that meal because it might lack enough protien, fat, or minerals for the body to correctly take in the vitamns.

>.<

"Good nutrition" really isn't something taught in school. Unless you count the food pyramid (and the one I learned about in school is now outdated). And just eating the recommended requirements doesn't go into vitamins and minerals and protien and fiber and fats (and the types) and carbs (complex not simple) and etc.

Selene Dendawga

Beloved Lunatic

OoChIcKeNoO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:03 pm
Selene Dendawga
Good point. Not everyone understand nutrition and what is good and what isn't. Like buying "healthy" cereals that have all the vitamns you need in a day. However, even if it is true, your body's probably not going to absorb all those nutrients from that meal because it might lack enough protien, fat, or minerals for the body to correctly take in the vitamns.

>.<

"Good nutrition" really isn't something taught in school. Unless you count the food pyramid (and the one I learned about in school is now outdated). And just eating the recommended requirements doesn't go into vitamins and minerals and protien and fiber and fats (and the types) and carbs (complex not simple) and etc.
**nods** Its true healthy cereals taste like butt to me but ive found ways to make them taste much better. And your right if the meal isnt balanced with protien, fat and minerals then it wont absorb right.

If instead of placing a law that forced people to not serve those who are over weight we should be looking to aid them a bit more with weight loss options. And im not just saying surgeries or just excersize routines.

People need to understand that you can be bad and still loose weight. I have my one naughty meal for the day and its during lunch so i can stay active after lunch and burn the calories i eat. I also have to take my vitamins at night because my body does not absorb them during the day.

There are funny quirks for each person's diet and routine that need to be fine tuned to help them loose weight. So if instead of placing stupid laws saying that someone cant eat at a resturant because they are over weight we should be setting up check points with each person that qualifies as over weight so that they can make the needed changes to their diet to loose weight.

And on another note you cant force someone to loose weight. I know that i dont want to be the text book weight for my height. Ive been that weight before and i didnt look healthy. So the service of helping someone loose weight should be an option, and a free one at.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:34 pm
It'd be smarter that those considered "obese" would now get educated paid by the state. Somewhat like someone can get when they're diagnosed with diabetes. Educating a person on food and how it effects the body can help them lose weight if they want to. I agree with you, if someone doesn't want to lose weight, they won't.

But banning them from restaurants does nothing but boost McDonald's sells. And that will just helps them get bigger.

Selene Dendawga

Beloved Lunatic

Original Gaian

14,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 am
Melena Rai
lol my problem is i get tired of the same meals so when logically it would be great to make like a huge salad to last like a few meals or a larger portioned pasta dish and store it away .. i never feel like cooking or making it

my problem is i cant cook just for myself.. I have to have other people to cook for to be able to cook  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:01 am
Everything you guys have said is very interesting.. to much to comment on.. to early and my brain hurts lol.. but, I know that i eat healhier if I eat out.. if I eat at home im just gonna cook some roman noodles.. or just some chicken in rice.. or a t.v dinner something quick and easy because I hate to cook ..
If I eat out... Im almost 60 % more likely to eat vegetables and get some fruit.. in me as well.. if you know what I mean

honestly I think that eating out.. at least for my own personal habits is a lot better for me.. smile

Original Gaian

14,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200

Selene Dendawga

Beloved Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:03 pm
Everything you guys have said is very interesting.. to much to comment on.. to early and my brain hurts lol.. but, I know that i eat healhier if I eat out.. if I eat at home im just gonna cook some roman noodles.. or just some chicken in rice.. or a t.v dinner something quick and easy because I hate to cook ..
If I eat out... Im almost 60 % more likely to eat vegetables and get some fruit.. in me as well.. if you know what I mean

honestly I think that eating out.. at least for my own personal habits is a lot better for me.. smile

It would depend on what you're eating, from where, and how it was prepared if it's really "healthier" for you or not. Sugar/syruped fruits aren't too good for you because of the excess sugar (because fruits are high in sugars already), chicken that's covered in sauce is just as good as the boiled chicken and rice at home. It might be worse depending on how fattening the sauce is. Vegetables that are heavily seasoned or covered in something (butter, cheese, cream) just ends up being too high in fat.

But it doesn't mean it's bad for you or what you were eating was bad. There's nutrition in everything. If you're talking about nutrition to lose weight, there's a huge difference.

In honestly, it's probably best to eat at home (to control portions and food preparation), and just to change food minorly to see a different (over time, not overnight). Replacing light sour cream than the fattening one, getting 1% milk over whole or even going for soy milk. Getting whole grain breads and pastas over white rice, white bread, and regular pasta. Little things like that help weight lose as long as you're eating the same amount or less as the previous amount of the other version.

1 cup sour cream is better than 2 cups light sour cream. But 1 cup light is better than 1 cup whole.

But meh. Honestly, if you're heavy and looking to lose weight, then it calls for a lifestyle change. You're going to need to be more active, have balance meals, and portions that fit your body. Plus crazy amounts of water to detox and revive salt intake unless you're going to the extremes and watching salt, vitamins, minerals, water intake, calorie intake, protien/fat/carb percentages, and a workout plan that includes aerobic as well as weight training. But most people are much too lazy for that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:06 pm
Selene Dendawga
It'd be smarter that those considered "obese" would now get educated paid by the state. Somewhat like someone can get when they're diagnosed with diabetes. Educating a person on food and how it effects the body can help them lose weight if they want to. I agree with you, if someone doesn't want to lose weight, they won't.

But banning them from restaurants does nothing but boost McDonald's sells. And that will just helps them get bigger.
**nods n snuggles**

EXACTLY!

OoChIcKeNoO

Original Gaian

14,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:13 am
I dont really eat at mcdonalds and stuff like that.. i go to like authentic mexican up the street.. or .. Indian ohh.. I love indian food so much.. aww.. I dont do fast food normally  
Adults 18 and Older : Exclusive!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff