Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
pencils??? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

which one?
  graphite
  colored pencils
  charcoal
  ink
  i don't draw.
View Results

sisu1kar

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:43 pm
I use Prisma color pencils, which is one of my favorite mediums to use. White blends great and I also use the blending pencil. To get the smooth look, not grainy, you have to build up many layers of color. It's not unusual for me to have 14 or 15 layers of color.
I've looked at all your links. Great jobs!

Karin

Here's a sample of one of my prisma colors:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k263/sisu1kar/Mysister.jpg  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:49 am
Suprisingly enough, I use plain old Crayola Pencils. But I get so nit-picky that I Color dark till the point that it almost doesn't look like colored pencil anymore... But I'm my own worst critic so I get really obsessed with my work...  

Starving_4_Art

Z-MusicalChairMassacre-U

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:35 am
I think what I have is prismacolors too but I'm not sure, my husband packed um by mistake and there some place in my mom-n-laws attiuc ;_: there freakin expensive...but so worth it Oh! and blinders really help make pencil art look awesome too  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:51 am
I Use Faber Castell
they're really good. and they're not dead expensive.
they have good quality and when you sharpen them, the color tip doesn;t come off no matter what kind of sharpener you use.
they last for a very long time ^__^ 3nodding  

MEOWpongky

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:43 am
i personally use charcoal but then again i do draw (when i do draw that is <_<) on huge 18x24 pads i didn't like it at 1st but the control over line quality and shadows got me hooked  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:13 pm
colored pensil = PRISMA COLOR! ... very expensive but are the best...

Pencils
2B
3B
4B
6B
HB

Mechanical Pencils

Charcoal
Conte - 1
Wolf Carbon - 2  

Brent Da Supreme Overlord

Nayumi-kuru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:47 pm
Ah.. well I use as colored pencils, prismacolors.. why? dunno xD just use them, oh and some other colored pencils that I got here and there O.o but I don't really color much, I prefer to ink and sketch.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:44 pm
Though I haven't used them in a while I own some prismacolors. Prismas are great, but only if you know how to use them. As previously mentioned by my fellow gaians the lead breaks pretty easily so you can't push to hard. THe best technique is a gradual build up, it's time consuming but can give beautiful results. Once I get around to taking pictures of some of my old prisma work I'll post them.

As for graphite pencils (my very favorite medium) I usually start with a 3h or 4h to apply a base and gradually work my way up to about a 3b. The h pencils have a harder lead, which gives lighter line work and isn't as greasy, the higher the b the greaser/softer the graphite and so you'll want to make a gradual build up with them. This Drawing gives some idea of how I work.  

Katniss_Blair

Nonobotica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:45 am
I often like to use a H pencil when drawing light sketches or doodles, this way i can draw over them later and the lines wont be as noticeable.

So usualy its:
H
HB

Including mechanical pencils and the darker tones, how ever it depends on what im doing, I wouldnt use a charchol pencil on a light piece unless i was going for some heavy contrast.
But for usual doodling and fun i just stick with the H. Although you have to be careful not to burn the page. But I tend to burn the page more with the mechanical pencil lol.  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff