Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Pomato Soup's Cookbook [Updated 04/11/10] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

no surrender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:51 pm
Here's the redline for you, there are a few mistakes, but hopefully it'll give you the general idea. :P
The two faces down the bottom are a simple way of foreshortening. Just imagine that the face is a triangle, and it'll be far easier to position the features. :>  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:37 pm
I've never seen that triangle thing before... interesting.

Link to old image
Comments

I have absolutely no idea how to do clothing folds on a figure that's in motion. I'll probably look up a few tutorials or something before I finish the sketch and ink, but any tips would be greatly appreciated. Pose was taken from a Pose Maniacs warm-up sketch again. I'm also noticing that I have pretty much no concept of the proper size for men's feet.

Griffonage

Griffonage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:03 pm
Current Image

User Image
Comments

More perspective practice. Basically, any help on the angle, anatomy and clothing would be great. I think the guy's hand is too far forward, but I wasn't completely sure where to put it. This is for an OC contest, btw, so they aren't my character designs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:04 am
i don't see any orthagonals so i can't say for sure how correct it is but its seems fairly in the right place. but i'd double check to make sure ^^  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Griffonage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:11 pm
I think since comments I get here are a bit few and far between, I'm just going to start treating this as a sketchbook thread.

I went to the zoo today. Focused on primates (Golden Lion Tamarin, Mandrill, Schmidt's Red-Tailed Monkey) and birds (Kookaburra, Black-Necked Stilt, Marabou Stork, and two others).

User Image
User Image

Any tips on line quality? I'm not sure how to achieve a bold, single line rather than what I have now since I'm trying to determine gesture.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:27 am
well tbh if you are going for gesture i'd worry less about the line and form and work more toward the gesture. gesture drawings are more emotional i think and should be done very quickly and loosely. try working from the shoulder more to achieve those organic curves. it should consist of basic shapes at the most.  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Griffonage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:41 am
Thanks for the critique. The suggestion "draw from the shoulder" is a bit nebulous to me, though. I kind of get what you mean, but it's a little confusing to try to reproduce.

What I meant by "determine gesture" was not that I was doing gesture drawings- you can see that these are, for the most part, quite static- but rather that I have to do a line of movement to get the gesture down before building up the sketch. The lines just aren't fluid enough for my liking, and that's true for my drawings in general.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:45 pm
I got used to drawing thru with my whole arm by using an easel or putting the paper on the wall and standing back from it. You can also just keep yourself from leaning over the page. Keep your wrist and fingers still. All the motion will come from your shoulder and elbow. Side to side will most likely be from the elbow, and front and back will be from the shoulder. So if you go in a circle, they mix. Give it a try. If you have to, Wrap your fist and wrist in plastic wrap so you CAN'T move it, just to feel what it's like to move from your arm. Sounds extreme, but hey, it might work and it's a hell of a good time to play with plastic wrap.

When you draw with your arm, your line of action and such will seem more fluid. It just takes some getting used to.

Let's see what you do and we can help with the gestures after.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Griffonage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:09 pm
Oh! Okay, I get it now. I'll try that out this weekend.

These are pre-instruction drawings from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Done in an hour (about 20 minutes each).

User Image

For the record, I don't actually look that old, and it looks like I need to go back to practicing drawing hands again...  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:04 pm
Haha, I did those too. I made myself look like a serial rapist. gonk  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Griffonage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:27 pm
More exercises from the book. Optical illusion thing (right side drawn first) and a Picasso reproduction. Five minutes for the first one, about an hour for the second.

User Image

More reproduction sketches later, I think.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:47 am
Huh. I keep walking past that book in the store (Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain), but it looks like there might actually be some interesting exercises in there.

About the line quality -- maybe you could try drawing in pen? It would force you to be bold (and hopefully make more continuous lines). I also noticed that I draw bolder when using scrap paper rather than my sketchbook -- maybe that could work for you too. If you mess up, you know you can just toss it out and forget about it.

It's good to see how your zoo drawings are so complete. It's not easy with the animals constantly moving around. =4  

Sunsway

Griffonage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:06 pm
If nothing else, that book is an interesting perspective on what might make the artist's mind tick when they draw. It's worth at least checking out from the library.

I might try the pen thing, since I generally refrain from erasing when doing life drawing anyways. I found out today that it's a lot harder to control my strokes (i.e. not do short lines) when I draw from life than when I do drawing from imagination.

It's actually easier for me to draw zoo animals when they're moving because I can get a sense of their form/construction. I don't have any zoo drawings of felines or canines because I can't get a sense of an animal that does nothing but sleep. ^^

More birds
User Image
Tapirs (and the beginning of an okapi head)
User Image
Okapi
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:04 am
Lovely! Perhaps the next step would be to fill the outlines? If any of the birds have black on their wings or head (I think it's a pretty natural pattern for many species? Not sure), you could indicate that. Maybe add some feather detail to the wings, though that might be difficult with moving things. You might be able to add those from memory if you're comfortable. <_< Not a critique, just a suggestion.  

Sunsway

Griffonage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:35 am
Yeah. I guess I should get some transparency in here and fess up to what the birds actually look like:
Blue-Bellied Roller
Laughing Kookaburra
Marabou Stork
Southern Cassowary

I drew the Kookaburra in both of my last two visits, and I haven't been satisfied with it either time. The head:body ratio is really strange, and I think my mind censors and "fixes" what's in the real world because it looks off to me. Not sure what to do. I'll try to add in more shading next time, but as you mentioned, I'm not sure how people do that with a subject that's constantly in motion (some more than others).  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff