Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Cleansing Crystals Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:43 pm
Sophist
What do you mean by sacred act? Why should it be one?
You're talking about cleansing a crystal. I may be off base, but if profane cleanings would do- you wouldn't be looking to use saltwater.

Quote:

Because I don't have any! xd And actually according to BlkCat I'd be making my own version. Seems a lot cheaper than buying "special holy water" in a bottle.
Holy Water is free. Just bring your own bottle and take some from the font.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:49 pm
Oh. Well in that case I thought that would be implicit in the fact that I'm not doing a profane cleaning that I intent for it to be sacred. Sorry I wasn't specific.

And taking water that various people have been dipping their fingers into does not seem appetizing to me.  

Bastemhet

[BlkCat]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:05 pm
TeaDidikai
[BlkCat]
TeaDidikai

Quote:

It's right for me because of how I explained how I believe things in another thread. I just like to go by tradition because it's been tried and true and proven to work for many other people.
By that measure- why not simply dip the thing in Holy Water. Works for Roman Catholics!

Exactly XD....Blessed Salt is used in making holy water.
In some of the Western Rites- yes. But I don't see her rushing to pour wine and ash in as well.

Wine and ash isn't in the recipe I was talking about. Anywhere I've ever heard of the Roman Catholic church making Holy water it only includes water, blessed salt, then the mixture of them while in prayer.

TeaDidikai
[BlkCat]

Salt has properties that cleanses or negates dark energies and evil spirits.
Where do you draw this conclusion from?

Why is "dark energy" bad?

And what of the evil spirits from different kinds of folklore that live in salt and salt water?

Quote:
In fact, the Wiccan and Roman Catholic recipes for Holy Water are very close and both contain blessed salt.
I'm curious as to which Wiccan broke their oaths to tell you such. Is there Mystery within the use of salt for the Consecrating of Tools?

Also note- not all of the Roman Catholic traditions include salt in blessing their water.

1. Anything that talks about the magickal properties of salt will say that.

2. It's not innately bad, however if you're going to cleanse/purify something, you want the purest energy you can get.

3. Never said it worked for all spirits.

4. Where does it say that spells/recipes must be kept secret in Wicca?

5. Not sure what you're asking there.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:07 pm
Sophist
Oh. Well in that case I thought that would be implicit in the fact that I'm not doing a profane cleaning that I intent for it to be sacred. Sorry I wasn't specific.
Since that is the case- why wouldn't the cleansing be spiritual in nature over simply symbolic?

Quote:
And taking water that various people have been dipping their fingers into does not seem appetizing to me.
And using salt that people touched and water that fished peed in is? confused  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:11 pm
[BlkCat]
Wine and ash isn't in the recipe I was talking about.
You didn't specify.
Quote:

Anywhere I've ever heard of the Roman Catholic church making Holy water it only includes water, blessed salt, then the mixture of them while in prayer.
More reading then? There's more than one kind of Holy Water within the RCC tradition.

Quote:

1. Anything that talks about the magickal properties of salt will say that.
It's spelled magic.

And no- it doesn't. I can name three traditions that hold no such thing.

Quote:
2. It's not innately bad, however if you're going to cleanse/purify something, you want the purest energy you can get.
What makes you think dark is impure?
Quote:

3. Never said it worked for all spirits.
You said evil spirits. I'm pointing out there are evil spirits that live in salt.
Quote:

4. Where does it say that spells/recipes must be kept secret in Wicca?
It's part of their oaths.

Quote:
5. Not sure what you're asking there.
Wasn't a question. It was a statement.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:13 pm
Come to think of it- as of Vatican II, didn't they stop adding salt except in The Western Rites?  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:13 pm
TeaDidikai
Since that is the case- why wouldn't the cleansing be spiritual in nature over simply symbolic?

It would be. I just didn't think I'd have to describe what I thought of it in exhaustive detail if I was simply asking whether serpentine is safe in salt water. neutral

TeaDidikai
And using salt that people touched and water that fished peed in is? confused

There are many things that are not in my control. However, not taking water that many people have touched while not knowing how cleanly they are, is.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:18 pm
Sophist

It would be. I just didn't think I'd have to describe what I thought of it in exhaustive detail if I was simply asking whether serpentine is safe in salt water. neutral
Which brings us back to the subject of why symbolic over spiritual?

Quote:

There are many things that are not in my control. However, not taking water that many people have touched while not knowing how cleanly they are, is.
I'm sure a Priest would be happy to bless some for you personally. Best to call and ask.  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:25 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist

Which brings us back to the subject of why symbolic over spiritual?

To me it isn't symbolic over spiritual. It can be both. They're not exclusive to each other. The cleansing and items I use symbolically in a spiritual act.

TeaDidikai
I'm sure a Priest would be happy to bless some for you personally. Best to call and ask.

Why would I do that if I can just cleanse it myself? I'd rather not add unnecessary steps. In this case I've already decided to just bury it as it seems safer and infinitely more simple than having to look up the properties of the rock and find out whether it can be damaged by salt or water.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:28 pm
TeaDidikai
You didn't specify.

Sorry about that, =P.

Quote:
More reading then? There's more than one kind of Holy Water within the RCC tradition.

Oh? What are the others? I didn't think they'd complicate such an easy process lol.

Quote:

It's spelled magic.

And no- it doesn't. I can name three traditions that hold no such thing.

Please don't be so ignorant and closed minded, it doesn't make you look very intelligent. Magick is just as accurate as a spelling as Magic is; The "k" has a meaning and isn't there just to "look cool".

Which traditions are these? Also, salt has been known as a bit of a good luck type thing, so it couldn't hurt.

Quote:

What makes you think dark is impure?

When did I say it wasn't? But it's not the purest form, you can make it better by cleansing it.

Quote:

You said evil spirits. I'm pointing out there are evil spirits that live in salt.

Maybe I have to spell it out better for you so you can get what I said, "I didn't say all evil spirits".

Quote:

It's part of their oaths.

I didn't ask whether you thought it was in their oaths or not, that was already stated, I was asking where in them it was. Can you quote the oath that states that?  

[BlkCat]

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:39 pm
Sophist

To me it isn't symbolic over spiritual. It can be both. They're not exclusive to each other. The cleansing and items I use symbolically in a spiritual act.
So where is the spiritual mechanic?

Quote:

Why would I do that if I can just cleanse it myself?
Because you like established ritual and you don't know if you can cleanse them yourself.

Which leads us to the next question- what makes you think burying it will cleanse it?

[BlkCat]

Oh? What are the others? I didn't think they'd complicate such an easy process lol.
Actually, depending on where you live, it's simpler.

There are holy founts and wells that can be drawn from. The water is made Holy by virtue of the fount or well being Holy.

Quote:
Please don't be so ignorant and closed minded, it doesn't make you look very intelligent.
Don't toss around ad hom rather than addressing the point.
Quote:

Magick is just as accurate as a spelling as Magic is;
Actually- it's not. Cursed English and it's orthoghraphy!
Quote:

The "k" has a meaning and isn't there just to "look cool".
Yeah- if you're a Thelemite.

Are you?
Quote:

Which traditions are these?
Well, in a familial tradition I am familiar with, it's used as a measure of prosperity.

Some folk traditions use it as a crossing against fertility- salting fields is very unpleasant.

It's also been used as a ward against rain by the local Asatru Godhi's wife.

Quote:

Also, salt has been known as a bit of a good luck type thing, so it couldn't hurt.
In which tradition?

Quote:
When did I say it wasn't? But it's not the purest form, you can make it better by cleansing it.
You didn't answer the question. What makes you think it isn't pure?

Quote:

Maybe I have to spell it out better for you so you can get what I said, "I didn't say all evil spirits".
So you just made a hasty generalization? Okay. Got it.

Quote:
I didn't ask whether you thought it was in their oaths or not, that was already stated, I was asking where in them it was. Can you quote the oath that states that?
Wait- you're asking someone (not me of course) to break their oath why?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:18 pm
TeaDidikai
So where is the spiritual mechanic?

Believing that crystals are something more than just rocks is the spiritual mechanic. Believing that they can aid me depending on what I program them for is the spiritual mechanic.

TeaDidikai
Because you like established ritual and you don't know if you can cleanse them yourself.

Which leads us to the next question- what makes you think burying it will cleanse it?

I was addressing the idea of salt being a purifier as established tradition. But I don't want to use something from a different tradition that I do not follow when I can use something universally potent- and conveniently, something that is attainable in my home.

I feel that the earth has natural healing and grounding properties just from being in contact with it. The stone came from the earth, so being in its natural element will drain it of whatever meddlesome energies have been added to it since then, reverting it back to its pure state.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:43 pm
Sophist

Believing that crystals are something more than just rocks is the spiritual mechanic. Believing that they can aid me depending on what I program them for is the spiritual mechanic.
Which doesn't address the spiritual mechanism of how the cleansing works.

Quote:

I was addressing the idea of salt being a purifier as established tradition.
However- many of these traditions have sacred acts that make salt "ready" to be used in such a context.

Quote:
But I don't want to use something from a different tradition that I do not follow when I can use something universally potent- and conveniently, something that is attainable in my home.
As mentioned above- it isn't universally potent.
Quote:

I feel that the earth has natural healing and grounding properties just from being in contact with it.
Why? Can't it also harm and pollute?

I mean- there are parts of the world where the earth is so saturated with "natural radiation" that it can kill someone.

And ask someone who has been in an Earthquake recently how healing it is. Or maybe ask that of someone who's love one's died in a landslide.
Quote:

The stone came from the earth, so being in its natural element will drain it of whatever meddlesome energies have been added to it since then,
That's a little like suggesting that tossing drinking water into the ocean then drinking ocean water won't make you sick.
Quote:
reverting it back to its pure state.
Hope you check to make sure a cat hasn't buried it's feces there.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:46 pm
I just had an amusing thought.

I would love to see some neo-pagans bury some uranium to "cleanse" it in their back yards.  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:05 pm
Before I address your other statements I have a question. Do you think doing reiki on the stone can cleanse it of negative energy? Or would that just compound it with the reiki energy?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff