Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Music in Ritual Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:14 pm
Sophist
The ney flute sounds absolutely beautiful but I'm not sure that's it. It sounds more like the equivalent of an oboe to me.

While looking for that instrument, I came across this performance with the sipsi. So amazing!

Edit: EHEEEEE I FOUND IT! It's called a Duduk / Mey.

That sounds beautiful! I'm just learning more about instruments every day. ^_^

I found this website that introduces nine different traditional Iranian instruments. It has brief clips to give an idea of what they sound like. http://www.dejkam.com/music/iran_traditional/instruments/  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:16 pm
mute_coyote
Sophist
The ney flute sounds absolutely beautiful but I'm not sure that's it. It sounds more like the equivalent of an oboe to me.

While looking for that instrument, I came across this performance with the sipsi. So amazing!

Edit: EHEEEEE I FOUND IT! It's called a Duduk / Mey.

That sounds beautiful! I'm just learning more about instruments every day. ^_^

I found this website that introduces nine different traditional Iranian instruments. It has brief clips to give an idea of what they sound like. http://www.dejkam.com/music/iran_traditional/instruments/

Oh, thanks! The page I was using was this list. Even though there aren't any sound clips it helped me to find the instrument combined with youtube. I heart youtube!  

Bastemhet

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:56 pm
Well I see I'm not the only person intrested in bellydance. As soon as I start my job, the local community collage has classes.

Nuri, what type of bellydance do you take? I think the classes they have at BCC (Brevard Community Collage) are either Egyptian, or they teach various different styles.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:15 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Well I see I'm not the only person intrested in bellydance. As soon as I start my job, the local community collage has classes.

Nuri, what type of bellydance do you take? I think the classes they have at BCC (Brevard Community Collage) are either Egyptian, or they teach various different styles.

I prefer more tribal style (not just ATS, but more fusion), but I'm in a veils class, that uses more cabaret techniques right now. Next up is zills. If I can afford it when classes start again.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:22 pm
You're lucky that your community college offers it! From the research I did before it's not easy to find tribal fusion style belly dance classes in my area. Which is ridiculous because I'm just an hour away from San Francisco.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:37 pm
My mom bought me three videos that teach Egyptian, but I don't have the room to practice. Plus, I learn much better in a class setting than on my own.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:37 am
mute_coyote

I love all the music links that are popping up in this thread! New music really makes my day.

Check out the Band Cruxshadows and the Album "Dreamcyphers". When I finally make my own Liturgy.....that's the sound track for it. In particular: Eye of the Storm
Sophia, and Birthday (live)  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:58 am
I don't often use music IN ritual, but I like music with a distinct beat or drumming for things like meditation and trance states.

In addition, over the years I've (by accident) subconsciously assosciated certain songs with certain things. So If I need a particular mindset, I will listen to the song.
For example, for no reason in particular, 'evolution' by korn is associated with hermes ( I was listening to the song alot when I first started reading things about him I suppose). Sometimes I'll listen to it before I pray.

@ether- *claps* I loved eye of the storm, the lyrics were awesome ^_^  

patch99329

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:09 am
patch99329

@ether- *claps* I loved eye of the storm, the lyrics were awesome ^_^

The Song causes a Visseral and Metaphysical reaction in me ^_^. My roomate has said he can see my Aura like....his words: "Purify it self by inverting upon it self and then inverting (so it's right side out again)".

razz  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:44 am
^ I just listened to sophia, and I love it even more! It's so catchy!  

patch99329

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:13 am
patch99329
^ I just listened to sophia, and I love it even more! It's so catchy!

Rouge (The lead singer and Song writer) Drew heavily from what he knew about Gnosticism to compose this album. He did a perfect and excellent job, s I felt this before I ever spoke to him about it.

If someone wants to get the ...Feeling... of my religion, listening to this album certainly expresses it well.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:28 pm
Ethermus Prime
mute_coyote

I love all the music links that are popping up in this thread! New music really makes my day.

Check out the Band Cruxshadows and the Album "Dreamcyphers". When I finally make my own Liturgy.....that's the sound track for it. In particular: Eye of the Storm
Sophia, and Birthday (live)

Those were all awesome. I have to say that Eye of the Storm was my favorite, though. It literally gave me the shivers.

For my part, I always find The Prayer incredibly moving. I also like Beyond the Invisible by Enigma. A lot of their music has this amazing quality that is - to me, at least - almost hypnotic.  

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100

Mor Righ Anu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:43 pm
I don't do rituals often. But when I journey, I use Native american drums. During my monthly shamanic drumming circle,my mentor either beats on her buffalo drum or she puts in music. Sometimes its tibetian bells with chanting or she uses some chaotic drumming. I find it much easier to fall into a trance or journey with drums than with smoothing new age music.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:42 pm
Well, I've not done any rituals or anything, but I do meditate before bed. It helps me empty my mind, and helps calm me to sleep. I usually listen to Holst: The Planets, or my Lord of the Rings Soundtracks. I also like Irish music too, for meditation.  

Lioka-Rose

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:48 pm
Nuri
I trance dance. Music is highly important, to get me reach a trance state. I listen to a lot of dead can dance, and bellydance music.

I love Dead Can Dance too
If you like their stuff, you should listen to Vas. Brendan Perry and Liz Frazer have drawn a lot of influence from the work of Vas...
http://www.vasmusic.com/

Music i a huge part of ritual for me. I have to say that I am not a fan of lyrical music in ritual. However, sometimes it calls for it. For example, if there is a special celebration for one of the group, a piece of music relevant and appropriate to them is a good idea.
I also find that recognizable lyrical music can help ground people somewhat. So it has it's uses.
Generally speaking though, I go for stuff that has no discernible lyrics.

My list has to include lots of the following

Afro Celt SOund System
Jean Michelle Jarre
Azam Ali
Brian Eno
Phillip Glass
Jan Garbarek
Mike Oatfield
The Hilliard Ensamble
Thomas Newman
Vangellis
Tangariene Dream