Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}
~The Golden Compass: All Christians NEED to Read this!~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lyneun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:19 am
That's what Good Omens is about? I've seen it several times...Maybe I should go read it, haha. *runs to bookstore*  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:57 pm
The way I see it, if you're firmly set in your faith a movie shouldn't really disrupt your beliefs all that much.

I probably won't go see it simply because I don't go see a lot of movies in theatres, but if some friends were to invite me to go see it, I would. I've heard the books are fantastic (I never got around to reading the book).

freelance lover
Crew

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:13 am
Lyneun
That's what Good Omens is about? I've seen it several times...Maybe I should go read it, haha. *runs to bookstore*

Yup. It's really funny and I highly recommend it. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:32 pm
Lethkhar
Lindpen
Lyneun
Quote:
It's motives are to turn children away from God!

And the author has said this? Through all of this, I have seen no one quote the most important source in this topic: the author! So let's see it. Give me a damn interview, people. scream

I'd like some direct quotes as well (excluding Pullman's venom toward Narnia); things specifically about "killing God." Even before this thread, I've only gone by hearsay. I'm too sleepy and lazy right now to research for myself, but maybe I can find some things in the morning and post them.

Well, it's technically illegal for me to give you a quote directly from the book, but here's the essential gist of the whole "killing God" part *SPOILER ALERT*:

There is an entity known as The Authority. This entity created himself from Dust (A magical substance) before any of the other "angels". He tricked all the other "angels" into thinking he had created them, when they had really created themselves. Having done this, The Authority proceeded to take control of the entire multiverse. In many universes, he is known and worshipped as a deity. However, over time The Authority becomes weak as it gets old. It places one of its lieutenients in charge of the "Kingdom of Heaven", since its failing health does not allow it to do so.
One of the characters of the book, Lord Asriel, puts together an army and overthrows The Authority, proclaiming it a false god. He actually executes the lieutenient, not The Authority. The Authority actually gets away inside a crystal box thing (I can't remember what it is...basically, it protects its frail body from the outside world). The main character, Lyra, opens this crystal box thing to let him out, but the exposure to the outside world accidently kills him, and he disperses back into the Dust that he started as.

More information here.

I don't think Pullman hates Narnia because of its Christian references, but because of its depiction of childhood. Since, as I have already said, his trilogy is really about growing up, this is understandable.

Why what's wrong with how Narnia depics childhood?  

ryokomayuka

Familiar Member

10,400 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Lyneun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:30 am
I'm reading the book to see what the big uproar is. Figured I should be educated on the subject at least. I'm going to poke around the author's website, too, to see if he says anything specific on the subject.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:27 pm
anti- golden compassers:
you may be pleased to know that The Golden Compass had very disappointing results at the box office. as much as i would like to see the movie (i never did get around to finishing the book...), i probably wont because it would support a radically anti-Christian childrens author!! but i must say, if people hadnt made such a big deal about this, it would have gone over everyone's heads!
i am pretty much anti-movie when it comes to the moral, but as entertainment, i'd like to see it...
ok, ive solved nothing here, have i??  

Rainbow Bubbles of Doom

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:14 pm
Lyneun
I'm reading the book to see what the big uproar is. Figured I should be educated on the subject at least. I'm going to poke around the author's website, too, to see if he says anything specific on the subject.

That's a good idea. My friend read it and she said she hated it because of the blatant anti-Christian sentiments, but then again, she's ultra-conservative. sweatdrop Let us know how it is, Lyn (you mind if I cut your name down??). 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:15 pm
Quirky Alice
anti- golden compassers:
you may be pleased to know that The Golden Compass had very disappointing results at the box office. as much as i would like to see the movie (i never did get around to finishing the book...), i probably wont because it would support a radically anti-Christian childrens author!! but i must say, if people hadnt made such a big deal about this, it would have gone over everyone's heads!
i am pretty much anti-movie when it comes to the moral, but as entertainment, i'd like to see it...

I've heard that the movie both sucked and was great. I'm guessing that means it was mediocre. confused  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lyneun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:02 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
Lyneun

That's a good idea. My friend read it and she said she hated it because of the blatant anti-Christian sentiments, but then again, she's ultra-conservative. sweatdrop Let us know how it is, Lyn (you mind if I cut your name down??). 3nodding

Lyn reminds me of Lyndis from Fire Emblem. I don't like her. sweatdrop

But sure, I'll let you know how it is. I'm halfway through the first book, and thus far, there's absolutely no [anti] religious sentiment at all. There is only a small mention about how a religious organization is behind the acts of the Gobblers (a secretive group which causes the disappearances of children). I've heard concern about the usage of the word "daemon," suggesting that it would inspire darker themes into the story. The "original" Greek form of the word daemon didn't mean "demon" as we understand it to-day, but the wikipedia definition of the His Dark Materials daemons pretty much covers the information presented early on in the book. (Can't quote it; I forgot to underline it sweatdrop )

I'm guessing people have a problem with where the story is leading. The Amber Spyglass especially. I flipped through it some and read some passages. It deals a lot with the Authority (which is God) and his angels. I read an interesting passage dealing with Metatron and how he was (supposedly?) Enoch at one point in time. I can definentally see where people would have problems with it, but I'm trying not to judge what I skimmed of the final book in fear that I'm taking it out of context. I'll get there when I get there.

But as a side note, I'll be underlining pro/anti text in the novel itself and maybe write a short essay about it. People should at least see a comparative essay instead of a steeply biased one.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:54 pm
But the last three letters of your name take a whole extra half a second for me to type~~~ -whinewhinewhine- Okies, I'll call you Lyneun from now on. 3nodding Sorry if I took a liberty with shortening your name (for the record, I don't care what anyone calls me so feel free to shorten my name all you want 3nodding ).

And yes, please do that. eek I would love to read it once you've finished writing it.

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lyneun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:05 am
The sn actually has an important meaning to me, believe it or not. wink

I'm almost done with the first book. Just reached Pt 3 last night. I can say one thing thus far: Pullman is a genius. I felt every emotion the characters did, especially the horror and sorrow with certain events in the latter half of the book.

EDIT: I finished the book. (suprise) Tell me how you all would like me to go about with the info I have. I could just give you my underlined text groups and let you draw your own conclusions, but I don't have time now. Let me know.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:55 am
Lethkhar
You do realize, of course, that the bigger a deal you make out of this the more people will get curious and go see it?

I second that. I myself am curious to see it. gonk The movie was said to have the anti-Catholic/Atheist highlights removed, so it can't be TOO bad. Everyone just seems to be worried about the books and progressing throughout the series, where the atheist elements become apparent. (Then again, I wouldn't know, as I've never read the book.) I think everyone's just worried about weak-minded children getting a hold of the books; they hardly understand religion, they're too busy being, y'know, kids. It'll probably end up like harry Potter, where everyone's like, "the book was better." And then everyone else will go read it. o 3o

-sneaks back out before she starts something-

`Monox!de

Lyneun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:49 pm
Quote:
movie was said to have the anti-Catholic/Atheist highlights removed, so it can't be TOO bad.

I'm going to put this bluntly. In this sense, it was worse than the book. The word "Magesterium" was said maybe four times in print, and "Christian" was said twice; they quoted the Bible once. In the movie, it was all too clear who the antagonist was, and who Lyra's true enemy was. It wasn't Lyra vs. Mrs. Coulter, it was Lyra vs. the Magesterium and the Authority (Authority=God). There was a religious...distaste, in the movie that was not present in the book.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:50 pm
Michan Starfire,

i stand here as a Christian, and have been fully aware about the "subliminal messaging" behind the Golden Compass, I have not, and will not see it.
But i have one thing to say in response to your original post- You said "Sorry for standing up for what i believe in" or something to that respect. and that's wrong. You dont have to be Sorry for that at all. You should be proud that you, me and others actually do and have stood up for what we do believe as opposed to sinking into the vast majority and ignoring it all.

Yours in Christ
Morgan Jane  

dont-pass-me-by

Rainbow Bubbles of Doom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:46 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Quirky Alice
anti- golden compassers:

I've heard that the movie both sucked and was great. I'm guessing that means it was mediocre. confused

i heard that it wasnt very good... my sister saw it and said it was disappointing. it also had very low numbers at the box office.  
Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff