Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Raptures’ sketch book Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chaotic Mana

Conservative Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:30 am

I just wanted to comment on your wip. I think it's quite lovely and I can't see much to critique about it except I get a feeling her hair makes her head look too big. Besides that, I'm quite taken with this picture and hope to see it finished. Your attention to details makes your work all the more interesting.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:07 pm

Chaotic Mana
I just wanted to comment on your wip. I think it's quite lovely and I can't see much to critique about it except I get a feeling her hair makes her head look too big. Besides that, I'm quite taken with this picture and hope to see it finished. Your attention to details makes your work all the more interesting.

First off, thanks for the comment, it's much appreciated.
As far as the head goes, I see where you coming from. Drawing heads, or at least the tops of them to large is a problem I have been having a lot recently. I don't know if it is just the style I have adopted or a blatant mistake on my part, but I'm working to correct it. When I get motivated to draw again I will scale the top of her skull down slightly and rework it a bit to see if that doesn’t get rid of the problem. When it comes to details, I'm always afraid I'm not doing enough or sometimes to much, but I'm glad that my efforts in this area are being noticed. Thanks.

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:49 am

Okay, for awhile there I lost internet but now that I’m back, and now that I have my own computer again, I will be updating every Saturday! Yay me!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:20 am

Hello! I'm so glad to see another mentee around here (considering everyone else is kinda on hiatus?).. Sorry XD Just rather excited cause right about now, you'll be the only one else who'll be updating constantly.

GREAT!) I believe you've nailed the anatomy right in your current WIP - the pose is very relaxed and comfortable (unlike mine DX so super stiff), and you've even repositioned the tail so it looks better.

BAD!) Can't find anything at the moment. But big hairs can actually look good on some people. (This is good actually).

Ah yeah... commenting cause there's no one else to comment on. (Everybody's semi-gone, I repeat, everyone's semi gone.)

Elixias

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Elixias
Hello! I'm so glad to see another mentee around here (considering everyone else is kinda on hiatus?).. Sorry XD Just rather excited cause right about now, you'll be the only one else who'll be updating constantly.

GREAT!) I believe you've nailed the anatomy right in your current WIP - the pose is very relaxed and comfortable (unlike mine DX so super stiff), and you've even repositioned the tail so it looks better.

BAD!) Can't find anything at the moment. But big hairs can actually look good on some people. (This is good actually).

Ah yeah... commenting cause there's no one else to comment on. (Everybody's semi-gone, I repeat, everyone's semi gone.)
I noticed a lot of people don’t really update on a regular basis… kinda sucks. Anyways, thanks much for the comment and I’m defiantly going to stop by your thread, harass you a bit.
Moving on, I’m glad you like the pose, it’s really hard for me to get poses, especially male poses, to look natural. Hell, when it comes to male anatomy it’s hard for me to get it right at all!
Again, thanks for the comment, I’m going to leave this up a bit longer, fix a few things I cough and then start adding the finer details and doing the line art… yay line art…
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:21 pm

Overall, good stuff!

Small comment on Dain: Too much highlights and too smooth for fur (we assume that she has fur), only frog skin has such highlights. Careful with the size of her thighs, they're pretty big (unless that was intentional).

And, blue Panda? biggrin Cute.

Mogtoats

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:24 pm

Woot, this week I did some male anatomy studies, it was hell, but I think I did... okay. Anyways, my scanner ATE it and I did a shity job pieceing it together, witch acounts for that stupied line that runs though it.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:31 pm

The Martian
Overall, good stuff!

Small comment on Dain: Too much highlights and too smooth for fur (we assume that she has fur), only frog skin has such highlights. Careful with the size of her thighs, they're pretty big (unless that was intentional).

And, blue Panda? biggrin Cute.
Thanks for the comment!

I see what you mean with the sheen on the fur, coloring is not my thing so, when I was doing this I was kinda just winging it. Anyways, despite the foggy look, thanks to the shine on her, I really do like how the over all look came out. As for her thighs, yes, I know they are chunky and that was intentionally done just though they suited her, that, and I like big thighs.

The panda does look kinda blue, don’t she? I never really noticed that. Either way, she a commission piece I ended up likening… well… except for the braids, never in my life will I EVER do braids again!

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:53 pm

Okay, so yet another up-date. I got the 3rd edit of my current WIP up. I moved the eye up, made the chest bigger and started drawing in his other arm. I'm still putting off the hands though, lol
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:29 pm

I think this would benefit a lot from understanding the skeleton. His legs aren't meeting his pelvis properly and it's looking very strange as things move down past the waist.

User Image

See how much higher his legs connect than how you have it?

Errol McGillivray
Captain

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:20 pm

Humm… Okay, now that it has been pointed out I think I see what you mean. His hips aren’t to wide, as people in the PP have been saying, they are just to far down on this body, making his torso a bit to long and the connection of his legs wrong. I think I see how I can fix it… I think, but I would like your opinion after I do so. Also, where did you get the above diagram? Skeleton is something I need to study a lot better
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Okay. So, I went ahead and started the line art on him only to find out I have more corrections to make, not that I’m complaining. Anyways, right now, since it has been pointed out by Errol, I’m working on his hips and the way his legs connect to his body. I moved his hips up and changed a few things in that general region but, looking at the skeleton diagram above, I think the hip/leg connection is still to low. Also, I shortened his arm and resized the hand a little, just to get the proportions better. So far, I think this is coming along nicely. I’m going to keep working on the hips and such and try to iron out some the uncertainties I have about that region of his body.

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:33 am

From my class. You can find similar stuff on the net though.

If you learn the skeleton, you will always have a relatively correct base and structure. If you learn the muscles, you will have correct form. Knowing both will let you know where the surface detail will show on the skin. (There are bones that show a bit.)

Anatomy for Artists by Sarah Simblet is a really great book that shows you pretty much all of this in a very visual way with diagrams that pay over models and with models of different sexes and races. It's really a great tool and an easy read. (Also, I think something a lot of people don't do is actually read these books. The pictures are there to help you understand, but you have to read the words to learn.)

His pelvis makes a lot more sense now. His thighs look a bit meaty for a male though. Did you use photo reference for the anatomy?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:39 pm

Sad to say but, most of my anatomic studies have nothing at all to do with skeleton or muscle structure. Though I want to learn proper anatomy so far, the most I have done is look at pictures of real humans rather than the underlying frame, witch I know I should do…
Anyways, I have herd about that book before, I think a friend of mine referred it to me, but I haven’t yet had a chance to pick it up. I live in the middle of no where so, the closes Borders is 50 miles away… Next time I’m in there I’ll defiantly pick it up though. If there is one thing my recent attempts at male anatomy has showed me, it’s that I need to know the skeleton and muscles better.
I started out with a photo reference but… well, that didn’t last long, I eventually went so far in the opposite direction that the only thing I was using the photo for was proportion measurements. I tend to do that a lot, start out with a reference photo and then totally ignore it because it gave me a better idea… As for his thighs, I have been getting variations of “there to big” for awhile now. I however, thing they are fine. Being a digitigrade (sp) I think his meaty thighs are quite appropriate, after all, standing on your toes constantly would bulk up your legs, least I think it would.

enticing rapture

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items