Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Workshops and Classes Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ever Taken a Class/Workshop?
  Yes, several
  Yes, but just a few
  No, but I want to
  No, and I'm not interested in them
View Results

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:53 am
Fan+asmagoric

I think it's good to make an effort to get out and meet other Pagans, seeing how we're a minority. If I have to meet hippies in the process, awesome. biggrin
Don't see the merits in it myself.

Not worshiping YHVH is not enough reason unto itself for me to be friends with a person.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:25 pm
Fan+asmagoric

I think it's good to make an effort to get out and meet other Pagans, seeing how we're a minority. If I have to meet hippies in the process, awesome. biggrin

Yeah, that's one of the functions classes and workshops can have. There are other ways of finding practitioners in a local area. Depending on what you're taking, you won't neccesarily be running into fellow Neopagans though. Sometimes classes on 'Witchy' topics are offered by other organizations. Went to a class on chakras once that was at a Franciscan organization... I don't think one of them would have self-identified as Neopagan. Still, there's a worthwhile lesson in that. We don't need to limit ourselves to looking just within the Neopagan community; there's a fair deal of othes who are interested in topics that overlap with Neopagan paths.

That, and it can often be easier (at least in my experience so far) to find classes set up by other organizations than by Neopagans. We're not the most organized bunch, after all... so getting classes together doesn't seem to happen all that much in most places. xd  

Starlock

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:42 pm
Starlock

That, and it can often be easier (at least in my experience so far) to find classes set up by other organizations than by Neopagans. We're not the most organized bunch, after all... so getting classes together doesn't seem to happen all that much in most places. xd
My experience is that it is easier to find topics hosted by pagans. Book shops are your friends.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:17 am
TeaDidikai
The Association for Research and Enlightenment.

They did things like test us to see if we could sense colors with our hands, they worked with biofeedback monitors, they tested us to see if we could see auras and the like.

I was a bit of a teacher's pet I guess. sweatdrop

Cool. *has a look*

I don't tend to have enough cash to attend classes, and I'm nowhere near experienced in pretty much anything to be teaching anybody anything unless they want to learn how to crash and burn, maybe.

Bookshops do have a variety of magazines that often show where you can go for get togethers, courses and the like. Most stores around here aren't neo-pagan-ish as much as alternative, so they'll have things like reiki classes, spiritual cleansing, tarot readings, some shamanistic introduction classes and kinesthetic classes (I think they were called) and.. *ponders*

Well, nothing specific for a religion or a revival of a religion. Mostly just methods and techniques.  

Maze

Starlock

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:18 am
Yeah, it might just be the area I live in right now. Seems to be a Neopagan deadzone. Go about an hour south or north though, and it's a different story. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:29 am
Maze
I don't tend to have enough cash to attend classes, and I'm nowhere near experienced in pretty much anything to be teaching anybody anything unless they want to learn how to crash and burn, maybe.
That- and teaching is a serious weight.

I don't subscribe to the whole "Teachers are responsible for what their students do with their knowledge"- largely because I'm a big fan of personal responsibility.

But there is an art and science of teaching. And it isn't something anyone should take on lightly.
Quote:
Most stores around here aren't neo-pagan-ish as much as alternative, so they'll have things like reiki classes, spiritual cleansing, tarot readings, some shamanistic introduction classes and kinesthetic classes (I think they were called) and.. *ponders*

Well, nothing specific for a religion or a revival of a religion. Mostly just methods and techniques.
Heh... I always look funny at Reiki "classes". But that's largely due to my attunments.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:27 pm
TeaDidikai
Maze
That- and teaching is a serious weight.

I don't subscribe to the whole "Teachers are responsible for what their students do with their knowledge"- largely because I'm a big fan of personal responsibility.

I agree that I'm not responsible for what students do with their knowledge, but if what I teach is wrong, that is my responsibility.

Quote:
But there is an art and science of teaching. And it isn't something anyone should take on lightly.

I'm not too shabby at presenting ideas in a way that people will remember, but if I'm not sure of the knowledge, I'm not so sure that pronouncing it as gospel is the way to go.

Quote:
Quote:
Most stores around here aren't neo-pagan-ish as much as alternative, so they'll have things like reiki classes, spiritual cleansing, tarot readings, some shamanistic introduction classes and kinesthetic classes (I think they were called) and.. *ponders*

Heh... I always look funny at Reiki "classes". But that's largely due to my attunments.

You've mentioned those before. What, exactly, do you mean with 'attunments'? o: My knowledge of Reiki is somewhat limited, so if that's something to do with that, it obviously goes beyond what little I know.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:17 pm
Maze

I agree that I'm not responsible for what students do with their knowledge, but if what I teach is wrong, that is my responsibility.
I completely agree.

Quote:

I'm not too shabby at presenting ideas in a way that people will remember, but if I'm not sure of the knowledge, I'm not so sure that pronouncing it as gospel is the way to go.
I don't think most teachers worth their salt aim to teach their truth as the only truth when it comes to metaphysical practices.

Sometimes you can't argue with Objective Reality.

Quote:

You've mentioned those before. What, exactly, do you mean with 'attunments'? o: My knowledge of Reiki is somewhat limited, so if that's something to do with that, it obviously goes beyond what little I know.
There's actually a Reiki thread here in the guild and currently one on the front page of M&R. Perhaps we should leave our chat about Attunements for those threads?  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:37 pm
TeaDidikai
Maze

I completely agree.

Quote:

I don't think most teachers worth their salt aim to teach their truth as the only truth when it comes to metaphysical practices.

Sometimes you can't argue with Objective Reality.

Score! Well, sort of, anyway. I still don't think I'll be teaching much of anything any time soon, hehe.

Quote:
Quote:

There's actually a Reiki thread here in the guild and currently one on the front page of M&R. Perhaps we should leave our chat about Attunements for those threads?

Oh, certainly, if there's a more appropriate place to discuss it, then I'll gladly have a look there (and possibly get my answer before even having to make a post, hehe.. :XP smile I hadn't really checked the M&R forum this week, I must admit. Been lying about with a bruised foot. Which is only a nuisance when I forget my copy of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell or when there's absolutely nothing interesting on the telly.

Ah, I've located the thread in the M&R forum, but I've yet to find it in this Guild. I'll check again tomorrow, as it's getting late-ish, and I do need to rest my bones appropriately, but I should have enough time to have a look through the M&R thread, and possibly pose my question there. 3nodding Thanks for the redirect!  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:49 pm
Maze

Score! Well, sort of, anyway. I still don't think I'll be teaching much of anything any time soon, hehe.
Which is good. Someone who isn't up for teaching shouldn't be teaching.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:02 pm
TeaDidikai
Maze

Which is good. Someone who isn't up for teaching shouldn't be teaching.

*nods* ... Bah, my English is a bit muddy this morning. Suffice it to say I agree and have thought as much for some time now.

On that note, I should head off. I'll check the other thread for a reply later today as well. 3nodding Night all. biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:28 pm
TeaDidikai
Fan+asmagoric

Don't see the merits in it myself.

Not worshiping YHVH is not enough reason unto itself for me to be friends with a person.

Not the point I was trying to make.

I do not pick my friends based solely on their religious/spiritual beliefs. Aside from crazy fundamentalists, who does?

The merit I see in meeting other Pagans (and those who don't identify as Pagans, but are interested in it), is discussing and debating topics that other people may not find interesting. Personally, I enjoy hearing what other people have to say and I like to hear other perspectives.

Obviously, you do care to meet other Pagans, regardless of whether you are here to inform others of your knowledge or here to socialize, otherwise you wouldn't be in this guild if you didn't want to interact with other Pagans or people interested in aspects of Paganism.  

Lore Lux

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:41 pm
Fan+asmagoric
The merit I see in meeting other Pagans (and those who don't identify as Pagans, but are interested in it), is discussing and debating topics that other people may not find interesting. Personally, I enjoy hearing what other people have to say and I like to hear other perspectives.
i think you might be pleasantly suprised about what people are interested in and what they aren't.

my Catholic friend, who has seriously toyed around with the thought of becoming a priest, enjoys hearing and discussing more about the different paths of paganism and the like than one of my prior Atheistic friends.

Fan+asmagoric
Obviously, you do care to meet other Pagans, regardless of whether you are here to inform others of your knowledge or here to socialize, otherwise you wouldn't be in this guild if you didn't want to interact with other Pagans or people interested in aspects of Paganism.
i don't know if you've noticed, but there are people in this guild who aren't pagan. they know a considerable amount about many pagan religions, or simply have a good bit of advice or knowledge to add when it comes time.

the presence of one in any guild denotes not necessarily their intentions.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:55 am
Fan+asmagoric
I do not pick my friends based solely on their religious/spiritual beliefs. Aside from crazy fundamentalists, who does?
And what I am saying is that I don't care what religion someone is at all. Period.
Quote:

I enjoy listening to intelligent people. I don't care what religion they belong to. I would rather listen to a smart Roman Catholic than a Fluffy Pagan any day of the week.

Quote:

phoenix shadowwolf

the presence of one in any guild denotes not necessarily their intentions.
Quoted for truth.

But just as some back story- I joined the Rehab guild at the suggestion of Reagun Ban after he and I tangled in M&R over the ethics of cursing people.

I continued because I enjoyed tormenting questioning Deo, Nuri and Reagun.

I never have had an interest in meeting people on the grounds they don't worship YHVH. And I never will.

Pagans are 70% Bananas.  

TeaDidikai

Starlock

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:34 am
Well, to put in a little advice from someone who HAS gone to classes, sometimes course descriptions can be misleading and it can be good to know something about the instructor. There's a few classes I've taken I was a bit dissapointed in. Part of that was the instructor and her personality; a bit domineering and instead of really teaching the others how to do the divinations themselves, she pretty much dictated what it all meant without explaining why's or asking participants what they saw in the reading first.

It's also good policy, especially if the organization is relatively well established and has lots of classes, for them to have evaluation forms. If they don't, ask why they don't because they probably should. How else can they know whether or not to invite a particular instructor back?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff