Welcome to Gaia! ::

The RPS Guild: Dungeon Crawls For All

Back to Guilds

The RPS Guild is for RPing using the simply-named Roleplaying System (RPS) to manage combat. 

Tags: Role Play, Fantasy, Dungeon, Adventure, System 

Reply RPS Guild
The first DM discussion thread.(Current topic:Recruiting) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 33 34 35 36 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:38 pm
Well I think Perrian and L.a.v. have pretty much outlined the general process. I can't say I would do it any differently. Try to resolve the issue through pms. If it is not settled that way move on to a higher dm authority. But after all, you are a dm. If a person is trying to ruin the game for everybody, engineer a plot device that makes him powerless and unable to do so.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:04 pm
Begging your pardon, but I am afriad I would have to use a slightly different approach. I don't feel right using my position as a DM to railroad my players into any course of action, be it for good or for ill. If the player keeps posting offensive posts, said posts can be ignored by the other players if they choose, and later be deleted by a major or minor DM if deemed necessary. Please don't misunderstand; repercusive action will be swift. The rules here are pretty easy and I will enforce them strictly. I just don't like to use game resources to do so.

((On an entirely personal note, I also don't like the idea of a negative, selfish player being permitted to force me to change my plot by being an absolute a**hat. My personal belief is that plot changes should occur in response to roleplay, not shennanigans. ))  

l.a.v.

Versatile Vampire

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Inquisitor 200

FARGORE
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:41 pm
Unfortunately there is also the issue that no matter what you do to a character as long as they can post they can still cause problems.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:08 pm
I believe it is the DM's responsibility to assess the impact of all characters, and react accordingly as early as possible. If one bad egg begins to test the waters, (so to speak) a private warning seems appropriate. If in the course of the warning, or in posts thereafter, the character continues being disruptive, then a ruling request to a higher power is in order. Collect the facts; it's important to show why you think the situation is untenable. Ultimately, the senior DM's will support you in your decision.

After the issue has been dealt with, you should as a courtesy ask the remaining players if they wish to continue. This allows anyone with ties to the offending player to withdraw. You can then bring in new characters as appropriate and continue your story with no negative repurcussions.  

Master of Gladiators

l.a.v.

Versatile Vampire

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Inquisitor 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:14 pm
*points at Master of Gladiator's post*

Yes, what he said. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:38 pm
Well, being a DM you do have the power to just kill thier character right? And it dosen't even need ot be an obvious retaliation to their disruption. After all if their character is being disruptive in the story then it only makes sence that the monsters would be more attracted to him. Fargore, GC if this is something you do not endorce just let me know.  

Firu Nicorusu

DM of Death

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:39 pm
Firu, going for the "Rocks fall, you die!" mentality? Though I think only a very few events should even have this possibilty be mentioned, It does have its uses UNDER EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES ONLY! Most of the time, if the issue can't be resolved by non-game standards, then I think only the Head DM's have the authourity to straight up "Kill" a character.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:04 pm
I have also never been one for the “instakill” tactic. A major reason being that if I’m going to take someone out of the game I want them and everyone else to know why. I’m just not one for playing games when it comes to stuff like that. I want it all to be out on the table.  

FARGORE
Captain

Master of Gladiators

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:24 pm
I have always felt that using the "I am DM and if I don't like you I will kill you" tactic is unfair, overbearing, unfun, and just plain rude. Using it tells your players that they may be next if they don't consider carefully how to play the game "your" way. Which ultimately takes the fun out of the game for everyone. Why try to out think the DM's strategy if you could be punished for it? With the Sword of Damocles hanging over everyone's head, the game suffers. Keep it fair, keep it honest, and keep it open.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:43 pm
I am only advocating that as a last resort if the person will not behave and stop bother in the other players. Also there is trying to out think the DM and then there is "I will attack the town guards and then try to rob the local store". If the player is acting like a bandit or a mindless savage when they are suposed to have some kind of goal that kinda ruins the entire quest. Fo rexample if the player must get into a castle and the guards deny acces untill they acuire some kind of token or permition. Then obviously this is a plot devise that will lead to other things, but if the players instead ingnor the adventure seed and try to attack the guards and force their way in how would you respond. Would you tell the players they are not allowed to attack the guards, or let them try it and get thier @$$'s handed to them.  

Firu Nicorusu

Master of Gladiators

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:49 pm
Absolutely let them try and take the guard! The idea is to provide them with a story plot; if they decide to go another route, tailor the game to their needs. If it has been made abundantly clear to them that the guard force is way out of their league, and they try to take them anyway, then they are getting exactly what they asked for. unfortunately, your carefully thought out story thread may be over, but there's no reason why you can't offer it to the next adventuring party...  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:05 pm
Just curious, since I don't see a dungeon that everyone died in a dungeon before, do the party members in a dungeon still get the CP if they all died in the quest?

Also, one other question. For custom made characters, like bosses and other new creatures, do we just make the stats or do we first need to get them approved by a higher up dm?  

Perrian
Vice Captain

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200

FARGORE
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:23 pm
Three points.

I completely agree with Gladiators about letting them attack the guards and die. If you made it clear that they could not handle it and they decide to anyway. Well it’s just like real life. There are some things you just can’t handle.

I would figure that if the entire party gets killed off as long as they got a reasonable way into the quest I would go ahead and give them 1CP each instead of two. That’s another advantage of the 2CP thing we have going now.

And as far as custom monsters and bosses go, you can make anything you want that uses current content on RPS as long as it follows the rules. Essentially as long as it is made using the same rules as a character of the same CP value its fine and I don’t even see the need for you to tell me about it. Just make sure that if they are going to have items the characters can plunder that they are listed in your inventory of items that are going to be given away for the quest (that has to be approved by a major DM before hand).  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:44 pm
Kudos to Master of Gladiators smile  

l.a.v.

Versatile Vampire

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Inquisitor 200

FARGORE
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:57 pm
Now as this has been a good topic of conversation, and I’m glad we had it, I do think we should get directly back to the topic as to whether to promote the three potential acolytes.

Do any DM’s have any further questions for the three potentials? (Once we are done with the questions I will add a poll and ask the 5 current DMs to vote in it. When the vote reaches five we will use that result for the acolyte in question and move on to the next. If the count hits five and a DM did not vote please notify me so I can reset the count.)  
RPS Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 33 34 35 36 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff