Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Sin Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:28 pm
Since I feel like a discussion of feline psychology doesn't completely address the topic at hand, I'd like to bring up a couple things that stood out to me.

First of all, why do you feel guilty over being favored as a child? That's your parents' problem, and they're the ones who should deal with any guilt resulting from the ill affects. Not you. Do you feel guilty that you enjoyed being favored? All children start out selfish. The question is whether they grow out of it.

One thing you never specified were the circumstances under which you 'abandoned' Melody. This is an important distinction, because there's a big difference between leaving a cat on the side of the road and leaving it at the local no-kill shelter (or wherever else). You say that you "shied away from responsibility". Was this because you didn't have enough time or money? Was it simple disenchantment? Did you feel like you were too immature to take responsibility for another life?

When looking at something like this, details matter. In the end, it comes down to understanding what can reasonably be expected of you.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:04 pm
You make several good points Mute.

On the subject of being "selfish", I am also inclined to believe that accepting the benefits of familial prosperity at times are though of as selfishness in different pagan theologies that idealize asceticism.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:24 am
Tea? Could you direct me to a source in regards of the CAT and PET scans? I find myself interested, but unable to find CAT scans of the brain of the cat. All that turns up are CAT scan articles in general, and a bunch of pictures of the underside of cats taken with a scanner such as one might find at home. XD

While interesting viewing material, that's not quite what you meant, I'm thinking. *grins*  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:37 am
Maze
Tea? Could you direct me to a source in regards of the CAT and PET scans? I find myself interested, but unable to find CAT scans of the brain of the cat. All that turns up are CAT scan articles in general, and a bunch of pictures of the underside of cats taken with a scanner such as one might find at home. XD

While interesting viewing material, that's not quite what you meant, I'm thinking. *grins*
I'll drop you a line.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:09 am
TeaDidikai
I'll drop you a line.

Much appreciated. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:08 pm
TeaDidikai

Quote:

I don't really have any scentific support for this. All I have is my personal experence. After 20 years of having cats, I have found that those that don't pick someone as "thiers" tend to grow distent as they get older. They still like to get pet, and they might play with you but not as much as the others. They are also more likely to leave and find a new home.
My experiences differ. In fact- some of them (such as my cat Lucky) directly contradict yours.

I have noticed that a cats personality match well with their chosen person. Not all cats act the same.

Quote:
Do you present as a care giver? Do you present as an "alpha" (believe it or not- cats do respond to that as well), does your sister present as an omega? Does your sister present as a lower quality care giver? How about the other cats? How do they treat this kitten? How do they treat you? How do they treat each other?

I see.... I have always been more motherly then my sister, and he did bond very well with my cats.

Quote:

CAT Scans show images of the brain. PET Scans (again, no pun intended) show activity in the brain. CAT Scans (and dissection ect) show that a domesticated feline's brain isn't structured in a way that PET Scans show activity in relation to emotion.

oh. cool ^-^

Quote:
Quote:

very true. I'm constitly telling my fiance that his cat dosn't think like a human, and she dosn't things for the same reasons a people. (like knock his brackables over because she is mad, If she was mad at him she would be trying to eat his leg. She can be quite evil. She used to attack me. ^-^)

No offense Neko- but your initial post said cats do feel love, loyalty and gratitude. Now it seems like you're agreeing with me. Could you explain what I am misunderstanding?

Sorry for the confusion. I do think they can feel these things, but they don't think like a person dose so they wouldn't act the same way a person would. They show love by purring and cleaning eachother (and me). When they are pissed off they have a tendicy to swat at anyone who comes near, me included. They react the way a cat would.

In tune with being on topic. I was also wondering what happend with Melody.  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:12 pm
Aesi
The pain it causes makes it a moral issue.

In your opinion.

Pain does not necessarily make morals or ethics inevitable. And separation may or may not cause pain.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:05 am
Neko_Bast

I have noticed that a cats personality match well with their chosen person. Not all cats act the same.
---
I see.... I have always been more motherly then my sister, and he did bond very well with my cats.
What I would suggest is that this kitten identified you as a "care provider", and in an attempt to survive, clings to you in order to ensure it's needs are met.

Quote:
They show love by purring
Actually, puring can also be induced by fear and hunger. Well fed non-abused domestic cats often pur in response to pleasure as well, and it is suggested that this might be a habit that stems from early domestication. That is to say- for the reasons I mentioned above, it doesn't corralate to "love".
Quote:
and cleaning eachother (and me).
Cleaning is usually a bonding exercise in most animals. Bonding usually leads to survival.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:02 am
TeaDidikai
Quote:
Actually, puring can also be induced by fear and hunger. Well fed non-abused domestic cats often pur in response to pleasure as well, and it is suggested that this might be a habit that stems from early domestication. That is to say- for the reasons I mentioned above, it doesn't corralate to "love".

Not to mention injuries. Apparently, the vibrations do something to the cat's body which then, in turn, heals faster/better. I read it once, ages ago, so no source available right now, I'm afraid.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:09 am
Maze
TeaDidikai
Quote:

Not to mention injuries. Apparently, the vibrations do something to the cat's body which then, in turn, heals faster/better. I read it once, ages ago, so no source available right now, I'm afraid.
I've read that as well. There was also a suggestion that it helps regulate hormones.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:24 am
TeaDidikai
Maze
I've read that as well. There was also a suggestion that it helps regulate hormones.

It has to do with the frequency. 3nodding The fundamental frequency of 25hz, and the multiple (harmonics) of 50, 75, 100, 125, 150 and so are extremely beneficial to bone growth, ligament and tendon injuries, and a bunch of other things. A cat's purr tends to be somewhere between 20 and 200hz, apparently.

[source]
[more source]  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:32 am
Judgement sometimes comes from within, rather than an external source.
No one can ever hurt me as grievously as I can hurt myself.

That having been said, I find judgement, vengeance, and even justice, to be largely useless concepts. They have their place, but I have rarely seen any lasting good come of them. They don't ameliorate the wrong done to provoke them, and are splotchy on whether they do anything to prevent such wrongs from happening again. But then again, I consider dwelling so much on a past we cannot change to be folly, and extol people to look to the present, where they can make a difference. If you are concerned about what you have done, make amends where you can, and avoid that failing in the future.

We can never wash the blood from our hands, but we can resolve to stain them no further.  

Fiddlers Green

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces