Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
Different Bible Translations Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What is your favorite Bible translation?
  New International Version
  New Living Translation
  New King James Version
  New American Standard Version
  Other
View Results

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:32 pm
I've read King James Version and New International Version.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:12 pm
Priestley
Fushigi na Butterfly
dragongirl42391
Priestley
[
All in all, I think the benefits outweigh the risks (as long as people are taught correct methods for deriving guidance from Scripture).

Interesting how you mention correct methods for deriving guidance from Scripture. What is the correct method, in you opinion? Just outta curiousity.

Not sure if he's of the same persuasion I am, but I would venture to guess that deriving appropriate meaning from Scripture depends a whole lot on the Holy Spirit. Praying before any Bible study session is probably one of the best things you can do to prepare your heart and mind for God's truth. Asking for God's Spirit to reveal to you the most truth from your specific translation is evidence to God that you're sincere in wanting to know the truth.

Persuasion? Wait, what? eek

Yes. Haven't you ever heard that before? It means "of the same thinking" or "of the same mindset." Being persuaded in the same direction as me?? domokun  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:14 pm
dragongirl42391
Priestley
dragongirl42391
Priestley

All in all, I think the benefits outweigh the risks (as long as people are taught correct methods for deriving guidance from Scripture).

Interesting how you mention correct methods for deriving guidance from Scripture. What is the correct method, in you opinion? Just outta curiousity.

Glad you're interested. smile

If you're asking for my opinion, I would say a good method would be to identify what guidance you want (for example, general or specific -- perhaps relating to an issue in particular), grab some kind of concordance (or even a thesaurus and online bible search), read up on as much scripture as you can relating to the issue, meditate on the scriptures in the presence of the Spirit, think about the context around and meaning behind what you have read and make sure when you finally decide to act on your guidance that it is well informed.

In contrast, a poor method would be simply to pick out one piece of scripture and use it to act out some kind of atrocity. I thought I made this quite clear in my previous post about the misuse of Scripture. confused

Oh my goodness, thats exactly what I think! ( about the whole poor method thing. I hate it when people misuse Scripture) But what you are saying is pretty much what I do. I go to my Bible for help for all my issues pretty much. Thats what it's for. 3nodding
But what exactly is a concordance? And do you know of any good online bible searches, because I kind only find Bible searches that search for specific words, instead of topics.

A concordance is simply a topical index in the back of your Bible that tells you where to find verses about certain things or people. Pretty much ever Bible has one.

And if you take a look in the Resources thread in the guild there are a few links to some good Bible sites. 3nodding

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:56 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
Priestley
Fushigi na Butterfly
dragongirl42391
Priestley
[

Not sure if he's of the same persuasion I am, but I would venture to guess that deriving appropriate meaning from Scripture depends a whole lot on the Holy Spirit. Praying before any Bible study session is probably one of the best things you can do to prepare your heart and mind for God's truth. Asking for God's Spirit to reveal to you the most truth from your specific translation is evidence to God that you're sincere in wanting to know the truth.

Yes. Haven't you ever heard that before? It means "of the same thinking" or "of the same mindset." Being persuaded in the same direction as me?? domokun

I'm well aware of the expression, but I do feel a little offended that you'd think I'd study with a wrong heart. emo  

Priestley

dragongirl42391

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:22 pm
Lethkhar

Cool, do you have a preference?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:23 pm
dragongirl42391
Lethkhar

I prefer the New International Version by far.  

Lethkhar

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:15 am
Priestley
Fushigi na Butterfly
Priestley
Fushigi na Butterfly
dragongirl42391
Priestley
[

I'm well aware of the expression, but I do feel a little offended that you'd think I'd study with a wrong heart. emo

What? No! I totally didn't say or imply that. eek I was just saying what I thought you were going to say (and I was wrong, which is why I shouldn't jump to put words in people's mouths but that's beside the point). It's a good idea for anyone. eek sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:03 pm
Lethkhar
dragongirl42391
Lethkhar

Lol, I TOTALLY know what you mean. I used to have the NKJV when I was little and I had NO idea what it was talking about. Then I read the NIV and NLT version the whole thing just completely opened up to me.

I dunno if any of you guys have read The Message translation but sometimes it totally cracks me up. This is a direct verse from the Message and I quote "Mark 5:37
He permitted no one to go in with him except Peter, James, and John. They entered the leader's house and pushed their way through the gossips looking for a story and neighbors bringing in casseroles. "

CASSEROLES! lol lol lol The Message tries to make the whole Bible culture friendly somehow. But, sometimes its just plain out there.  

dragongirl42391

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:37 am
dragongirl42391
Lethkhar
dragongirl42391
Lethkhar

Lol, I TOTALLY know what you mean. I used to have the NKJV when I was little and I had NO idea what it was talking about. Then I read the NIV and NLT version the whole thing just completely opened up to me.

I dunno if any of you guys have read The Message translation but sometimes it totally cracks me up. This is a direct verse from the Message and I quote "Mark 5:37
He permitted no one to go in with him except Peter, James, and John. They entered the leader's house and pushed their way through the gossips looking for a story and neighbors bringing in casseroles. "

CASSEROLES! lol lol lol The Message tries to make the whole Bible culture friendly somehow. But, sometimes its just plain out there.

Casseroles?! eek OMGWTFBBQ?? rofl  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:32 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
dragongirl42391
Lethkhar
dragongirl42391
Lethkhar

I'm hungry...  

Lethkhar

Priestley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:59 pm
dragongirl42391
Lethkhar
dragongirl42391
Lethkhar

Wow. Just wow.

I can understand the need for different language/dialect versions, but this is competition for the sake of shelf space and profit, nothing more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:01 pm
Hey, don't get me wrong, I think the Message has it's good points. But the whole casserole thing just cracks me up.  

dragongirl42391

random_shiichan

Familiar Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:30 pm
hm when i was little, i followed this version called the "Good News Bible"
anyone heard of it??
It was more like a kids/teens version basically and for me it was easy to follow, but then i gave it to my cousin and in the years, till now, ive been following the king james version.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:57 pm
random_shiichan
hm when i was little, i followed this version called the "Good News Bible"
anyone heard of it??
It was more like a kids/teens version basically and for me it was easy to follow, but then i gave it to my cousin and in the years, till now, ive been following the king james version.

Yeah, I've totally heard of it, we have the version at my church which we use in sunday school. I heard it's mostly for kids because it is paraphrased in a way that they can understand and it has pictures.  

dragongirl42391

GuardianAngel44

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:40 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
dragongirl42391
Lethkhar
dragongirl42391
Lethkhar

you want to barbeque casserole?  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas