Welcome to Gaia! ::

Panic! At The Disco Fan Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for Panic! At The Disco fans to gather and discuss. 

Tags: Panic! At The Disco, Brendon Urie, Music 

Reply Other Music Discussion
Illegal Music Downloading: Yes or No? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should it be illegal?
  Yes!
  No!
  No opinion
  Don't care.
View Results

GoodbyeLights

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:50 am
~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
tanyjames
I think that music downloading shouldnt be illegal because the music suppliers just try to take money from you if u just buy it from Itunes or somethin. i think it should be free because music is a good way to express yourself..

it might not make sense...but, its my opinon
Well, what about the artists? Don't you think they deserve a little something for their work?

I totally agree with you girly. You'll be surprised at how little artists get for their songs. Most of it goes to the record label xP. It's like what my math teacher said. If you keep illegal downloading, the less money the artists would get, and they would stop making songs, b/c they would know it would be useless to make songs if they don't get the money they would need. and if you want free songs to download, heck, use Napster, not Limewire xP
That's a good point.

Though, on my essay, I kinda exaggerated and said that if enough people illegally downloaded, music production would come to a screeching halt...
That isn't bad, is it? redface

xd
lol, for once my math teacher made sense about what he said.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:51 am
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
tanyjames
I think that music downloading shouldnt be illegal because the music suppliers just try to take money from you if u just buy it from Itunes or somethin. i think it should be free because music is a good way to express yourself..

Well, what about the artists? Don't you think they deserve a little something for their work?

I totally agree with you girly. You'll be surprised at how little artists get for their songs. Most of it goes to the record label xP. It's like what my math teacher said. If you keep illegal downloading, the less money the artists would get, and they would stop making songs, b/c they would know it would be useless to make songs if they don't get the money they would need. and if you want free songs to download, heck, use Napster, not Limewire xP
Why is Napster any better than Limewire?

Napster lets you download music for free legally. The company actually pays the artists.
=O
How do they get this kind of money?  

Leowna

Friendly Conversationalist

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200

Leowna

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:52 am
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
tanyjames

That's a good point.

Though, on my essay, I kinda exaggerated and said that if enough people illegally downloaded, music production would come to a screeching halt...

xd

Well, it's a significant issue.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:58 am
~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
tanyjames

That's a good point.

xd

Well, he overheard somebody talking about Limewire, and the dude was laughing about it. He was sooo pissed when he heard him laughing, he just exploded, went on saying about the music industry, and said "You think it's funny? Well, it is a crime to steal somebody's music and you are laughing about it?"
But he isn't usually like that, so it was really shocking. My math teacher is really hyper and funny....

GoodbyeLights

Leowna

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:00 pm
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65

That's a good point.

xd

Well, he overheard somebody talking about Limewire, and the dude was laughing about it. He was sooo pissed when he heard him laughing, he just exploded, went on saying about the music industry, and said "You think it's funny? Well, it is a crime to steal somebody's music and you are laughing about it?"
But he isn't usually like that, so it was really shocking. My math teacher is really hyper and funny....

The worst part is when the album isn't even RELEASED yet.

*coughJanuaryleakofInfinityonHighthati'mstillpissedaboutcough*  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:13 pm
~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65

That's a good point.

xd

I never really realized IOH was leaked. xD I just thought: "Leaked. Ok. Whatever." I just waited for the official release for some reason....I waited for my late b-day present scream

GoodbyeLights

Leowna

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:50 pm
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65
~[girlygirl]~
punkguitar65

xd

I never really realized IOH was leaked. xD I just thought: "Leaked. Ok. Whatever." I just waited for the official release for some reason....I waited for my late b-day present scream
Good girl. *headpat*

I got it a month or two after, but when I heard it was leaked, I felt sorry for those poor boys. emo  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:34 pm
Eh. IOH leaking gave them a ton of publicity... I mean, they even made an EP out of it.. which means more money for them. Now I don't know if that makes up for the amount they lose off of illegal downloads... but, in their case, it doesn't really matter much because they're already successful and totally loaded xp

And yet bands that are just starting out and actually need the money, often let people stream their entire album and ask them to burn it to CDs and pass it out and do whatever they can to promote the band..

I guess I don't really thinking downloading music is such a bad thing. Yes, bands sell less CDs. But they also gain thousands of fans because people all over the world have easy access to their music... and then they can go on tour and they make money off of that too.

Polyphonic Twilight

GoodbyeLights

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:13 pm
Polyphonic Twilight
Eh. IOH leaking gave them a ton of publicity... I mean, they even made an EP out of it.. which means more money for them. Now I don't know if that makes up for the amount they lose off of illegal downloads... but, in their case, it doesn't really matter much because they're already successful and totally loaded xp

And yet bands that are just starting out and actually need the money, often let people stream their entire album and ask them to burn it to CDs and pass it out and do whatever they can to promote the band..

I guess I don't really thinking downloading music is such a bad thing. Yes, bands sell less CDs. But they also gain thousands of fans because people all over the world have easy access to their music... and then they can go on tour and they make money off of that too.

Good point. Concert ticket sales are up like 20-30%. But I don't want CD's to be obsolete gonk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:09 am
CD's are going to become obsolete pretty much no matter what. People want their music on their computer and iPod/mp3-player. How many people still have CD players? Not that many.. well at least not portable ones. A lot of people probably still use stereos.. although with iHomes and mp3-docking stations and speakers, I wouldn't be surprised if people stopped using stereos also [I did..]

If I buy CDs now, chances are I already have all the songs on my computer. I just buy the CD for the booklet, really... and I don't think I'm the only one who does that.

And now that you can have lyrics and artwork right on your iPod, CD booklets are becoming less important too. Some people still like them, but some people could care less...

Polyphonic Twilight

GoodbyeLights

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:59 am
Haha. My family's like anti-pop music, so getting a CD is a good thing for me. And my dad is anit-Apple too xp Not that I really want an iPod...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:23 pm
>.>
But Poly, touring costs a lot too!  

Leowna

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200

GoodbyeLights

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:47 pm
Really? I thought tours cost like $20 bucks average...(which is pretty cheap)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:50 pm
Yeah, but even if it's expensive, bands still profit from touring.. whether it's financially or just publicity.

On Panic!'s first tour, the only profits they got were from t-shirt sales xp They put on such a production that it cost them a fortune xp

[off topic: did you hear about Pete breaking his foot? surprised sad

Polyphonic Twilight

GoodbyeLights

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:41 pm
Yeah, I heard and seen the pictures. His foot is really swollen and medically ugly looking sad

Other Music Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff