Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Hiya! I'm new to the guild but... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:27 pm
Dristinia

Of course I will actually have to find the library up here... @.@

Though in lamens terms what is Kabalism? So when I start researching some of the stuff I have a better idea of what I'm looking at. Is there maybe a thread on it in the guild somewhere?

Short answer:
Jewish mysticism.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:37 am
I'm also new here, but i have been on many other pagan forums, and since this is a fluffy rehabilitation center i probably won't have the same problem i normally do....but i do tend to get a bit snippity, so if you see me starting just tell me to shut up biggrin  

JewelWoods

Mule of Liz Sama

5,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:02 pm
TeaDidikai
Dristinia

Of course I will actually have to find the library up here... @.@

Though in lamens terms what is Kabalism? So when I start researching some of the stuff I have a better idea of what I'm looking at. Is there maybe a thread on it in the guild somewhere?

Short answer:
Jewish mysticism.

Interesting... Now I'm curious. *researches when she doesn't have a splitting headache from playing tech support to her mother and doing a final exam. *

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:48 pm
Dristinia

Interesting... Now I'm curious. *researches when she doesn't have a splitting headache from playing tech support to her mother and doing a final exam. *
Just a friendly reminder. YHVH doesn't play well with others and this is his system.  

TeaDidikai

Mule of Liz Sama

5,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:44 am

>_< YHVH ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:15 am
Dristinia

>_< YHVH ?
The god of the Jewish and Muslim people (and to a certain extent, the Christians- but that debate is for a different thread)  

TeaDidikai

Mule of Liz Sama

5,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:21 am

Never heard them called that before. sweatdrop does YHVH stand for anything?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:35 am
Dristinia

It's a name. It doesn't have a meaning outside of being the name of their god.

Edit: Outside of numerology.  

TeaDidikai

Mule of Liz Sama

5,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:17 pm

Vezy interezting...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:57 pm
TeaDidikai
Dristinia

It's a name. It doesn't have a meaning outside of being the name of their god.

Edit: Outside of numerology.
You've mentioned before that people aren't supposed to say his name... When I was being brought up in the Christian faith, we did learn at some point that God had a name that the Jewish people weren't supposed to know because it wasn't supposed to be said out loud - but I have always heard many people pronounce YHVH ("Yahweh" or "Jehovah") as if it were not taboo in the least.

I've always been a little confused... if YHVH doesn't want anyone to say his name, then why did he tell them what it is?

Along the same lines, I've known some people who would write "G-D" instead of "God" when referring to him. They said that this was representative of the fact that they were not supposed to say his name, but I didn't understand that as "God" is more of a title and not a name.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:26 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
You've mentioned before that people aren't supposed to say his name... When I was being brought up in the Christian faith, we did learn at some point that God had a name that the Jewish people weren't supposed to know because it wasn't supposed to be said out loud - but I have always heard many people pronounce YHVH ("Yahweh" or "Jehovah") as if it were not taboo in the least.

YHVH has no vowels in it in Hebrew. The vowels it is pronounced with are taken from, I belive, Adonai.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:26 pm

Wait so the Christians have a god that doesn't want to be called by their name? o.0 That seems a little... I don't know weird? It seems like the god doesn't care to be recognized by people who follow these ideals. (I guess is how I can word that) I'm also curious what the meaning of this name is in numerology .

Mule of Liz Sama

5,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:37 pm
Dristinia
Wait so the Christians have a god that doesn't want to be called by their name? o.0 That seems a little... I don't know weird? It seems like the god doesn't care to be recognized by people who follow these ideals. (I guess is how I can word that) I'm also curious what the meaning of this name is in numerology .

*shrugs* Names hold power. An unnamable god would be quite sercure.

Also,t here's fun stuff you can do with it re: a monotheistic deity being synonymous with the unknowable, ineffable all, which if it is named is limited and thus is no longer the unknowable, ineffable all.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:53 pm
Deoridhe
Dristinia

*shrugs* Names hold power. An unnamable god would be quite sercure.

Also,t here's fun stuff you can do with it re: a monotheistic deity being synonymous with the unknowable, ineffable all, which if it is named is limited and thus is no longer the unknowable, ineffable all.

I suppose so but aren't their phrases in the bible that says stuff like "Call upon the name of God to ward off demons" and things like that? I could be confusing it with old memories of preachers twisting the bible to control a mass group of people for monetary value. sweatdrop

Edit : I guess the question is how can one call on god if they aren't allowed to say his name? I mean just using the term "god" could result in calling on another god that just felt like answering the plea?

Mule of Liz Sama

5,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:21 pm
Dristinia
I suppose so but aren't their phrases in the bible that says stuff like "Call upon the name of God to ward off demons" and things like that? I could be confusing it with old memories of preachers twisting the bible to control a mass group of people for monetary value. sweatdrop

Edit : I guess the question is how can one call on god if they aren't allowed to say his name? I mean just using the term "god" could result in calling on another god that just felt like answering the plea?

Well, you could call on him by using "father" (Adonai) or the like, but I was never really Christian, so my scripture knowledge is spotty.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff