Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Tchick's ArtPad - Update 8/11/07 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xyirii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:36 pm
Okay, this is my first time paying a visit to this thread, and as I've gone through your pieces, I have noticed your progression in them. You aren't quite there yet, but I can tell that you are working at it, and that is excellent n_n;

Your anatomy is what I think requires the most work at the moment, and once you get that down, everything else will seem just a little bit easier to work on. One thing that I suggest looking into is studying the muscle structures of the human body. It is the muscles that define the shape of the human body, and then depending on the height of the skeleton itself, that will determine how the muscles appear on the body. I don't know of any good websites to really look at for true medical anatomy because I taught myself from the umpteen dozen anatomy/physiology and biology classes I took throughout my schooling, but I'm sure there are some good ones to look at. Also, let me tell you this, the 'seven heads high' bit is not always true. It is simply a generalization of how to make proportions, not the exact way to do it.

That's pretty much it for now. Your creativity is solid and as long as you keep practicing, you can only improve from here. Take care!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:25 pm
KotokoPlum - Haii! Thanks for stopping by. I am indeed very keen on developing style, I think it is one of those things that some people just seem to get, but feel for me it is something I will have to work towards. I know that it is only when I have nailed my anatomy and can draw relatively realistically and in proportion that I can begin fooling around with altering things and stylising them. Understanding the fundamental form is key, and I WILL keep practicing if it kills me! XD And no, it didn't sound too lecture-y, you made a lot of sense. ^^;

Btw, love the pic in your signature, is that your own work or something someone else did for you? :3

Xyirii - Thanks also for paying a vist, it's nice to know that some people are popping in here. ^^; It is relieving to know that you can see at least SOME progression, I sometimes feel like I am spiralling into an endless obiss of getting nowhere fast xD. I completely agree with you, my anatomy needs work, that's why I am driving myself crazy with it. @___@; I have found most people here to be very helpful though and I will take your advice and try looking up muscles and muscle structure, I have a rough idea in my head from what I've picked up in biology class but have never scrutinised it in much detail. I use the seven heads high rule as a guide, because I like to have a sort of 'safety net' to lean back on to make sure my drawings are roughly in proportion, I'm trying to not be too dependant on it however 3nodding .

I'll be sure to keep practicing and pushing myself, thanks again for your advice. ^-^

Miscellaneous/Everyone Else:-
Okaayyy, this isn't too great but I'm gonna post it here anyway. I did another drawing of the body, this time trying to home in on the fluidity and motion/stance of the picture. There are certain parts that I am very pleased with and other bits I am not so fond of. The right arm looks WAY too thin now that I've scanned it in, I'm gonna fix that on the paper now. But other than that I don't think it went too drastically wrong.

It is a tad scribbley and not too well defined, but I think it conveys the basic movement of the picture. And from sketching that I learnt a couple of things or rather, observed them. Like where the hips and shoulders fall in relation to each other and weight distribution.

Take a look here and let me know what YOU think.

Tchick

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:10 pm
Great improvement. 3nodding

there are just some minor things wrong with the position of things I think.
I did a redline for you To give you an idea of how to better position them?

I hate hands, btw... >_>

hope it helps!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:53 pm
User Image

Nice, it does look very fluid. The head and neck are good!
One thing you should remember about the hips and shoulders is that they should be at opposite angles.
Here's a redline (but don't trust me too much)
Okay, the ribcage seems to be collapsing a bit. You need to remember the bulk of the ribcage (that's roughly the highlighted yellow/green area) because it's present from almost every angle.
The arms - the forearm widens out at the elbow, it doesn't continue straight on from the upper arm. I think I might have overdone that widening a bit, but you get the idea.
The wrist thins out from the forearm, and then the palm kind of juts a bit from there. It shouldn't just continue in one straight line :3
The hands are too small, which I think I forgot to fix in my redline. Whoops.
And the feet are a little awkwardly positioned, IMO. I also pointed out the toes (kind of)

`Famire

KotokoPlum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:20 am
Famire's drawover lines are so smooth. @____@

But, Tchick! Yeah, there are some people who get lucky and develop a unique style quickly, but most people just hafta do it the old-fashioned way. xDD;

Oh, I wish I drew it! xD; ProdigyBombay drew it for me as a random auction freebie. C: I was quite lucky.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:18 am
Tchick, in order to really tell you if it's accurate, I need to see what you used. If it's a nude, make sure you follow the rules for that. Otherwise, just post whatever model you used.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas