Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Guns of Navarone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:30 pm
Kingshortpants
MCS4evr0
Melomaniacal

I was just trying to prove a point that anyone can just say bad things about any band.

Yeah, you can. And every time I've been to a streetlight show its true that only like 30% of the people are moving, but thats because half of them come to see the Reggae-Dub bands. Like one time they toured with Westbound Train and Suburban Legends. People who like those 2 bands I don't think are gonna wanna be in a pit during a streetlight show. And streetlight sounds just like their recordings because they are so talented. Their recordings are AMAZING, and when they play live they sounds just as AMAZING. The only reason ASOB would be better is cuz all the ppl there are HXC, and anyone could sound better than ASOBs recordings... theyre horrifically grunge (I do love them tho)
Dude Suburban Legends fands know how to dance every time I seen them the crowd has moved.... Cuz they move. Westbound train it depends when they play but I love them cuz they let you do a nice slow skank to build up your energy for the next band. You dance to the band on stage it doesn't matter who your there for its all about if the band playin makes you want to move. As far as ASOB recording quality.... Three Cheers for Dissapointment.

yeah, what he said. cept the WBT part, not too into them. lol. but, anyways my first point was not to say streetlight sucks a**, just to say they aren't that great live. and bytthe same as their recordings, I didn't mean they sound amazing or whatever. I mean, they just stand and play, they don't get the crowd very involved, they don't do anything crazy, no jumping into the crowd, no getting people onstage to do s**t, no random banter, just like, hey whatsup we're gonna play, k bye.

Dance

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:03 pm
Guns of Navarone
Kingshortpants
MCS4evr0
Melomaniacal

I was just trying to prove a point that anyone can just say bad things about any band.

Yeah, you can. And every time I've been to a streetlight show its true that only like 30% of the people are moving, but thats because half of them come to see the Reggae-Dub bands. Like one time they toured with Westbound Train and Suburban Legends. People who like those 2 bands I don't think are gonna wanna be in a pit during a streetlight show. And streetlight sounds just like their recordings because they are so talented. Their recordings are AMAZING, and when they play live they sounds just as AMAZING. The only reason ASOB would be better is cuz all the ppl there are HXC, and anyone could sound better than ASOBs recordings... theyre horrifically grunge (I do love them tho)
Dude Suburban Legends fands know how to dance every time I seen them the crowd has moved.... Cuz they move. Westbound train it depends when they play but I love them cuz they let you do a nice slow skank to build up your energy for the next band. You dance to the band on stage it doesn't matter who your there for its all about if the band playin makes you want to move. As far as ASOB recording quality.... Three Cheers for Dissapointment.

yeah, what he said. cept the WBT part, not too into them. lol. but, anyways my first point was not to say streetlight sucks a**, just to say they aren't that great live. and bytthe same as their recordings, I didn't mean they sound amazing or whatever. I mean, they just stand and play, they don't get the crowd very involved, they don't do anything crazy, no jumping into the crowd, no getting people onstage to do s**t, no random banter, just like, hey whatsup we're gonna play, k bye.

Dance

Well, that's not the case when they play here.  

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

Slag10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:44 am
oh boy! forgot that i jabbed a stick in this hornets nest too!

Fist off, i've seen ASOB open for Big D and Streetlight, and ASOB hands down blows both of those bands out of the ******** water when it comes to live shows. King Django, who's last show i saw was dull as hell and started at one in the morning, blows streetlight out of the water live. The lame indie pop band that my friend meagan dragged me too was more captivating than streetlight.

Streetlight has the distinct honor of being the only band that has ever put me to sleep at a live show. They introduced them selves, played two songs that sounded the same, and then i was out. my friend Nick Hardy had to wake me up when i was over. I'll also point out that any band that isn't original enough to write a new album and instead covers a whole album by the band that the front man got fired from 6 years prior is a joke and is ripping off their fans, and if you bought that album, you got suckered.

Maybe the reason only 30% of a crowd responds to streetlight manifesto at a show is because the rest of the crowd came to see ska bands, not some hack who's riding the coat tails of an album he wrote 10 years ago, and has pretty much re-recorded twice, and i bet he's going on a third time.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:13 pm
Slag10
Fist off, i've seen ASOB open for Big D and Streetlight, and ASOB hands down blows both of those bands out of the ******** water when it comes to live shows. King Django, who's last show i saw was dull as hell and started at one in the morning, blows streetlight out of the water live. The lame indie pop band that my friend meagan dragged me too was more captivating than streetlight.

To this I say that they must hate wherever you come from, because they put on an amazing show here. ASOB are good live in the same way a**l c**t is good live. Everyone sees how hilarious they are, and they can't help but laugh, dance, and have a great time. Streetlight is a little (understatement) more serious about their music, so it won't be the kind of performance you'll get from an ASOB show ("LOLDUDETHATWASHILARIOUSANDFUNLOL").

Slag10
I'll also point out that any band that isn't original enough to write a new album and instead covers a whole album by the band that the front man got fired from 6 years prior is a joke and is ripping off their fans, and if you bought that album, you got suckered.

All I have to say is that this is the most ignorant and stupid thing I have ever read. Have you listened to the album? Listen to the last song all the way through, I don't feel a need to explain all the wrong things in this statement when it's in the damn song.

Slag10
Maybe the reason only 30% of a crowd responds to streetlight manifesto at a show is because the rest of the crowd came to see ska bands, not some hack who's riding the coat tails of an album he wrote 10 years ago, and has pretty much re-recorded twice, and i bet he's going on a third time.

You know, I expect better from the ska community. You are a shining example of musical elitist dirt bag. I never expected to see people like you within the ska community.

And no matter what you say, I will have a fantastic time at this concert, as always. You can continue to be a negative dirt bag to everyone you disagree with, I wish you luck for the future.

[Edit] - So my anger has settled, so I'd like to apologize if I offended you at all. I'm just saying, watch what you say, especially when you're dealing with opinions. Opinion wars never come out good, as you can see. You can't speak for everyone when you say say Streetlight puts on a bad show. They put on amazing shows by me, but I have seen videos where the crowd just doesn't get into it (it's hard to put a good show on for people who won't move). In my opinion, Kalnoky is a true musical genius, and the whole band is extremely talented (especially with their newest lineup). I do admit that other bands, like say Reel Big Fish, put on a more interactive show, but from MY experiences, Streetlight puts MUCH more energy into their songs.
Well, back to the point, I apologize if I came off a little harsh, it's hard to control that impulse someone else comes off just as harsh.  

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

MCS4evr0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:11 pm
Slag10

Streetlight has the distinct honor of being the only band that has ever put me to sleep at a live show. They introduced them selves, played two songs that sounded the same, and then i was out. my friend Nick Hardy had to wake me up when i was over. I'll also point out that any band that isn't original enough to write a new album and instead covers a whole album by the band that the front man got fired from 6 years prior is a joke and is ripping off their fans, and if you bought that album, you got suckered.

One your a ******** douche, and 2 he didn't get ******** fired, he left the band along with half of the members. He only redid the album because he wrote it, and he felt that the one he did with Catch 22 sucked. Also, Everything Goes Numb was the 1 that came before Keasby Nights in their little "CD Trilogy" so he only felt it was fair to redo it anyways. Besides, streetlight is ******** amazing your retarded, and everytime ive seen them they do move around onstage and get things going. Obviously, you werent at the show and theres no need 2 lie. Just because a band redoes one of the albums that over half the band wrote u don't call them out.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:12 am
MCS4evr0
Slag10

One your a ******** douche, and 2 he didn't get ******** fired, he left the band along with half of the members. He only redid the album because he wrote it, and he felt that the one he did with Catch 22 sucked. Also, Everything Goes Numb was the 1 that came before Keasby Nights in their little "CD Trilogy" so he only felt it was fair to redo it anyways. Besides, streetlight is ******** amazing your retarded, and everytime ive seen them they do move around onstage and get things going. Obviously, you werent at the show and theres no need 2 lie. Just because a band redoes one of the albums that over half the band wrote u don't call them out.

streetlight definitely does not get thing moving here at all, so I'm sure that is the case where he is from aswell, idk, maybe you guys are lucky and they actually don't suck live tehre, or maybe you kids are just worshiping mr. kalnoky a bit much, either way, idc, if you have fun, thats great for you.

to that kid up there criticizing ASOB's live show... whats wrong with having fun at a live show... isn't that what its there for? I mean if you wanted to listen to a cd, you can, if you wanna have fun, you see them live.

anyways this is all getting way too out of hand kids so, how about we calm down and talk about something better, like Madness?  

Guns of Navarone

Slag10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:09 am
i know im down for Baggy trousers. that song sums up my middle and high school career to a T.

i will how ever address one thing-

Melomaniacal
You know, I expect better from the ska community. You are a shining example of musical elitist dirt bag. I never expected to see people like you within the ska community.

And no matter what you say, I will have a fantastic time at this concert, as always. You can continue to be a negative dirt bag to everyone you disagree with, I wish you luck for the future.

I understand that you were angry when you wrote that, as you claim. But I find that to be a very hypocritical statement, that for the sake of everyone, I'd like to discuss.

First off- the fact that you refuse to accept my opionion that SLM is the biggest sham to grace the ska community since. . . well ever, Makes you no different than me. I'd also like to state that being elitist would mean that i belive there is an elite in this scene. Basically i'd be saying "I'm better than you." I don not feel this way, but It seems to me that alot of SLM fans believe Kalnoky and his band to be the elite of the US ska community.

I take offence to this because the band barely has any elements of ska outside of some syncopated guitar playing on the upbeats at some point in many of their songs. I therefore will have a low opinion of them as a ska band. Im not a traditionalist; most of my favorite ska bands are 3rd wave bands with heavy two tone or hardcore leanings(Bosstones and Toasters as respective examples) Also- i will not deny that SLM has talented musicans, but they produce the most over rated schlock I've ever heard. I base this on the fact that many of their arrangements are sloppy to my ears, and that their live shows simply are uninspiring when you consider any other band they play with. Those are my opinions.

secondly-
I don't know where you children thought up "SCENE UNITY." the majority of people ive met who tout this idea simply use it to throw at the big bad old schoolers who think these new jack bands that crop up suck. "your band sucks!" "what about scene unity" Guess what? It doesn't exist, unless you want to homogenize the scene into a bunch of unrelated music like indie rock.
In short- if someone disagrees with you be man enough to fight it out. don't puss out and throw out some misquoted operation ivy song.

In closing- Don't think that because you're arguing the positive end of an argument, that you are being anyless elitist than the guy who argues the negative. Don't spout off about how dissenting veiws dont belong in the ska scene. you like streetlight, i dont. dont get sand in your jockstrap because i make a snide comment about your pet band. oh, and have nice day and enjoy your show. maybe the opening act will be good domokun  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:29 pm
Guns of Navarone
MCS4evr0
Slag10

to that kid up there criticizing ASOB's live show... whats wrong with having fun at a live show... isn't that what its there for? I mean if you wanted to listen to a cd, you can, if you wanna have fun, you see them live.

anyways this is all getting way too out of hand kids so, how about we calm down and talk about something better, like Madness?

I wasn't saying ASOB aren't fun, or that it's bad to have fun, I said it's fun in a different way (a funny way).

Slag10
i know im down for Baggy trousers. that song sums up my middle and high school career to a T.

i will how ever address one thing-

Melomaniacal

I understand that you were angry when you wrote that, as you claim. But I find that to be a very hypocritical statement, that for the sake of everyone, I'd like to discuss.

First off- the fact that you refuse to accept my opionion that SLM is the biggest sham to grace the ska community since. . . well ever, Makes you no different than me. I'd also like to state that being elitist would mean that i belive there is an elite in this scene. Basically i'd be saying "I'm better than you." I don not feel this way, but It seems to me that alot of SLM fans believe Kalnoky and his band to be the elite of the US ska community.

I take offence to this because the band barely has any elements of ska outside of some syncopated guitar playing on the upbeats at some point in many of their songs. I therefore will have a low opinion of them as a ska band. Im not a traditionalist; most of my favorite ska bands are 3rd wave bands with heavy two tone or hardcore leanings(Bosstones and Toasters as respective examples) Also- i will not deny that SLM has talented musicans, but they produce the most over rated schlock I've ever heard. I base this on the fact that many of their arrangements are sloppy to my ears, and that their live shows simply are uninspiring when you consider any other band they play with. Those are my opinions.

secondly-
I don't know where you children thought up "SCENE UNITY." the majority of people ive met who tout this idea simply use it to throw at the big bad old schoolers who think these new jack bands that crop up suck. "your band sucks!" "what about scene unity" Guess what? It doesn't exist, unless you want to homogenize the scene into a bunch of unrelated music like indie rock.
In short- if someone disagrees with you be man enough to fight it out. don't puss out and throw out some misquoted operation ivy song.

In closing- Don't think that because you're arguing the positive end of an argument, that you are being anyless elitist than the guy who argues the negative. Don't spout off about how dissenting veiws dont belong in the ska scene. you like streetlight, i dont. dont get sand in your jockstrap because i make a snide comment about your pet band. oh, and have nice day and enjoy your show. maybe the opening act will be good domokun

First off - don't call me a hypocrite, and don't tell me I'm like you. Listen, it's the fact I posted a topic expressing my happiness towards something important to me, and you come in explaining how Streetlight sucks. You did not state any of this as an opinion, you stated it as fact. If you said "in my opinion, Streetlight is horrible live" I would have accepted it and moved on. But you came in basically saying that you felt sorry for me, as if I'm SUPPOSED to think Streetlight is horrible. Prime example: the last sentence you made there. "Maybe the opening act will be good." Once again, your stating this like I'm SUPPOSED hate Streetlight's performance, and I should only go for the opening acts. As if I'm SUPPOSED to hate their live performances. You came in here and purposely starting being a d**k to me BECAUSE I like Streetlight.

And as for Streetlight not being ska, I agree that they are on the edge of not being ska. But I still say that they are THIRD-WAVE, or PUNK-ska. There are many other 3rd-wave ska bands that are so much less ska-esque then Streetlight, non of which get the argument (I never understood that). It seems like because Streetlight has gotten such sudden popularity, people are trying to be different by not being part of the Streetlight crowd. But I do understand where you're coming from when you challenge their ska-ness.

About your whole "Scene unity" crap, why get into fights when you can agree to disagree? Why make enemies when you can... NOT make enemies? Excuse me if I like being nice. I like to be nice, but sometimes jerks like you decide that it's impossible to be nice to people you disagree with, so this s**t happens.

To sum up my feelings on the situation: It's the fact that you stated your opinion as fact, and almost TRY to make me less happy about this that made me angry. You could have expressed your opinion in a nicer manner, without coming off sounding like the worlds biggest p***k. Everyone has opinions, is how you go about stating your opinions. Nobody likes people who shove their opinions down your throat.

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

Slag10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:10 am
I'll point out that i've made no personal attacks on you, yet you seem hell bent on doing likewise. I may come across as abrasive, but if you read, i make attacks on you, your character, or anything other than tangentally poking fun at your taste in music. So dont try and be the nice guy. cause you're just as big me.

When you engauge an enemy, you become the enemy. When you get into the fray with an a*****e, you're an a*****e. its two sides of the same coin, and niether of us are trying to win. ill sum up every thing i've said in this thread with one sentance

I hate SLM, They suck live(which if no fact, has great truthiness), and some people cant take sarcasm.

Also- I'll close with a final though

"reject that which does not satsify your sould" Budah

"I dont listen to bands that suck" Butthead

examine these two statements and you will find the same thing true- If you dont dig it, don't stand for.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:34 am
i'll point out that the ska community sucks.  

YoshiMexico

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:22 pm
Slag10
I'll point out that i've made no personal attacks on you, yet you seem hell bent on doing likewise. I may come across as abrasive, but if you read, i make attacks on you, your character, or anything other than tangentally poking fun at your taste in music. So dont try and be the nice guy. cause you're just as big me.

When you engauge an enemy, you become the enemy. When you get into the fray with an a*****e, you're an a*****e. its two sides of the same coin, and niether of us are trying to win. ill sum up every thing i've said in this thread with one sentance

I hate SLM, They suck live(which if no fact, has great truthiness), and some people cant take sarcasm.

examine these two statements and you will find the same thing true- If you dont dig it, don't stand for.

Okay, for the record, I do want to work things out here.
All I hate is that (once again) you're stating your OPINION as a FACT. You do realize that, right? Everyone is entitled to their opinion... just make sure you express your opinion as an opinion, not a fact.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:07 pm
when you say something like music or arts are good, or suck, it automatically an oppinion, because its subjective. to designate that saying "So and So sucks" is opinion is redundant. and remember if it sounds sarstic, dont take it seriously  

Slag10

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:21 pm
Slag10
when you say something like music or arts are good, or suck, it automatically an oppinion, because its subjective. to designate that saying "So and So sucks" is opinion is redundant. and remember if it sounds sarstic, dont take it seriously

Well, when you're that aggressive about it, it's hard to tell, especially when you can;t here voice tone. Assuming you meant to type "sarcastic," once again, it's hard to tell when you can't actually hear the person.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:48 pm
Melomaniacal
Slag10

All I hate is that (once again) you're stating your OPINION as a FACT. You do realize that, right? Everyone is entitled to their opinion... just make sure you express your opinion as an opinion, not a fact.

opinions are facts to ones self. if in his opinion they suck, then to him, its a fact that they suck. duh.

also, I told you we should just talk about Madness, because they're better, and there will be less arguing

Dance

Guns of Navarone

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:51 pm
Guns of Navarone
Melomaniacal
Slag10

opinions are facts to ones self. if in his opinion they suck, then to him, its a fact that they suck. duh.

also, I told you we should just talk about Madness, because they're better, and there will be less arguing

Dance

No offense, but that's a horrible way to put it xp
I understand what you're trying to say. Opinions are facts to yourself, but not other people. Keeping that in mind, you can't spread your opinions assuming that they're true to everyone else. Opinions are opinions, facts are facts. Duh.

Also, I'm not crazy about Madness. They're good, but I can't really get into them.  
Rude Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff