Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Questions on many things. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Am i crazy?
  YES.. you should be in a mental facility
  NO... you were mislead on a few things but its true.
  I honestly do not know, Sorry.
  .................. (gold option)
View Results

Ayita

Moonlight Comrade

10,500 Points
  • Winter Warrior 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:11 pm
Quote:
2. my veiw's of the god and the goddess i think has gotten confused with some of my own imagination. i've been writing a story for many years that involve a god and a goddess and i started to call them by the names of those characters, and starting to beleave some of the mythology that i've created for them. i'm not sure if i should continue to call them by those names or not.

I have my own sect of Paganism, which isn't really a sect, but I have my own set of beliefs taking from various faiths. I personally don't see anything wrong with calling the gods and goddesses by your own special names. As long as they represent what you believe. Even if they have attributes that coincide with the so-called real gods, I'm sure they'll understand that it is just your own way of addressing them.

Of course, I don't mind people calling me not by my name. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, but I can relate to your general situation. I'm in the process of sorting out my own faith, so I can't offer much advice.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:41 pm
Ayita
I'm sure they'll understand that it is just your own way of addressing them.

Of course, I don't mind people calling me not by my name.
What if they do mind?  

TeaDidikai

Ayita

Moonlight Comrade

10,500 Points
  • Winter Warrior 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:43 am
TeaDidikai
What if they do mind?

I see your point, but what's in a name? Names are something people give to distinguish one thing from another. You can call a cat a cat, and I could call it a horse or a brick in my own (meaning in any other) language, and we'll be referring to the same thing, but 'cat' may not mean that to me. I personally think it's more sacred to not use names or words. It's closer to nature in my eyes.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:48 am
Ayita

I see your point, but what's in a name?
In my tradition and many others- a part of people's soul. eek

Quote:
Names are something people give to distinguish one thing from another.
That might be a bit simplistic.

Yes, names do distinguish this from that- however, they become entangled with personal identity, the understanding of the self verses the external, they can have power. Some people adopt new names when they make oaths. Names can signify lineage and familial connections.

In a scene when so many people are of the belief that words have power (a hell of a lot of power in some cases), we must look beyond mere phonyms to the meaning of the sounds we make.

Quote:
I personally think it's more sacred to not use names or words. It's closer to nature in my eyes.
Hmmm... I find speech to be very well integrated into the nature of humanity.  

TeaDidikai

Sivirs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:15 pm
TeaDidikai
Yes, names do distinguish this from that- however, they become entangled with personal identity, the understanding of the self verses the external, they can have power. Some people adopt new names when they make oaths. Names can signify lineage and familial connections.

In a scene when so many people are of the belief that words have power (a hell of a lot of power in some cases), we must look beyond mere phonyms to the meaning of the sounds we make.

Yeah, agreed here. I mean, I could be telling a story and go "And then the ****** at the register gave me some change." or I could say "And then the black lady at the register gave me some change."

Technically, if I used the racial slur, you'd know exactly which race I was talking about, but boy would it get a different reaction than if I used the word black, or African American, or dark-skinned, or just left out a racial identifier altogether.

On a less extreme note, if someone calls my cell phone and says they wanna talk to TeaDidikai ('cause uh, y'know, we are our gaia usernames wink ), I'd tell them they got the wrong number and say goodbye and hang up. Maybe they really did wanna talk to me, but they used the wrong name, so I'm assuming they don't.

And that's not even going into the more magical applications of words and their meanings.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:17 pm
TeaDidikai
Ayita

I see your point, but what's in a name?
In my tradition and many others- a part of people's soul. eek

Quote:
Names are something people give to distinguish one thing from another.
That might be a bit simplistic.

Quote:
I personally think it's more sacred to not use names or words. It's closer to nature in my eyes.
Hmmm... I find speech to be very well integrated into the nature of humanity.

Again, I see what you're talking about, but names don't have that kind of implication to me. I'm not trying to press what I believe, but names just seem to make everything more complex.  

Ayita

Moonlight Comrade

10,500 Points
  • Winter Warrior 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:39 pm
Ayita
Again, I see what you're talking about, but names don't have that kind of implication to me.

So people calling you names doesn't invoke feelings in you?

Has anyone ever called you by the wrong name? Did you correct them?

What I suggest is that names have as much meaning to you as they do to me. You just haven't looked closely at the implications of names in order to come to conclusions that match both the reality of situations and your philosophy.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:51 pm
TeaDidikai
So people calling you names doesn't invoke feelings in you?

Has anyone ever called you by the wrong name? Did you correct them?

What I suggest is that names have as much meaning to you as they do to me. You just haven't looked closely at the implications of names in order to come to conclusions that match both the reality of situations and your philosophy.

Sure, it's ingrained in us to have meaning to names and words. They imply certain meanings, sometimes negative. But I've come to find it doesn't bother me when I'm addressed by the wrong name, unless it has specific negative implications behind it. But even then, it's the intent--rather than the word itself--that upsets me.
They probably don't have the same amount of meaning to me as they do to you, however. My name is not special to me, and any name I can think of doesn't particularly fit me either. Maybe I've yet to happen upon this reality that you speak of, but so far, I maintain my thoughts about this. As I've said before, I'm in the process of re-evaluating my beliefs and comparing them to what I know.  

Ayita

Moonlight Comrade

10,500 Points
  • Winter Warrior 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:18 pm
Ayita
Maybe I've yet to happen upon this reality that you speak of
It's possible. But with you maintaining your personal position, do you also maintain such for the gods?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:33 pm
TeaDidikai
It's possible. But with you maintaining your personal position, do you also maintain such for the gods?

If I believed in a higher power, perhaps my views would be different, but this is the process of my re-evaluation. When I did believe in such, they knew of my reverence, and names did not matter.

I just find it difficult to claim residence in a single sect of beliefs, because I see much of what makes sense displayed in a plethora of religious systems...combined with a bit of science. (Not that I suspect you will, but I would prefer to keep the science vs. religion dispute out of this. I have respect for you because you know what you're talking about. There doesn't need to be arguing on something that never will be solved--in here or out.)  

Ayita

Moonlight Comrade

10,500 Points
  • Winter Warrior 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:37 pm
Ayita
When I did believe in such, they knew of my reverence, and names did not matter.
My question would be "who is they"?

Quote:
I just find it difficult to claim residence in a single sect of beliefs, because I see much of what makes sense displayed in a plethora of religious systems...combined with a bit of science. (Not that I suspect you will, but I would prefer to keep the science vs. religion dispute out of this. I have respect for you because you know what you're talking about. There doesn't need to be arguing on something that never will be solved--in here or out.)
I'm married to a Chemist with an interest in quantum physics, my best friend has a degree in mycology, her husband and the best man at my wedding has his PhD in microbiology.

I have no problem with science (well, I have plenty of problems, but it comes from being dyslexic and the fact that I currently couldn't balance a Chemical equasion to save my soul at the moment). Non-issue. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:20 am
TeaDidikai

I never gave them names. They were a balance of male and female, one god to each. I suppose they were similar to the Wiccan concepts of the Lord and Lady (or am I confusing that with something else?).

Quote:
I'm married to a Chemist with an interest in quantum physics, my best friend has a degree in mycology, her husband and the best man at my wedding has his PhD in microbiology.

I have no problem with science (well, I have plenty of problems, but it comes from being dyslexic and the fact that I currently couldn't balance a Chemical equasion to save my soul at the moment). Non-issue. wink

Like I said, not that I thought you would bring it up smile  

Ayita

Moonlight Comrade

10,500 Points
  • Winter Warrior 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Pelta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:52 am
Ayita
I never gave them names.

Nameless gods I can understand. Saying a particular name is of no consequence can be a little more dangerous.

Certain people may call me "b***h." However, I expect most people to call me by a name that I respond to favourably. If someone calls me "Diana," or "whore" I simply won't answer.

Let's take this a little further. Say you're dealing with a goddess who has been specifically named in her mythology, and in fact has taken epithets which she prefers being called. Say you were dealing with Diana. Say that, since names aren't important, you decided to call her Venus. Right off, you've insulted a goddess who has very little to do with men by calling her the equivalent of a goddess of desire. Aside from that, you've switched pantheons and used a Roman name! That may be insulting and nearly inexcusable - you might have difficulty ever dealing with Diana again, and who knows, the next time you take a bath you might be turned into a deer.

Or, you know, she simply may not answer because she thought you were talking to someone else. wink

Some people may say names are unimportant. However, if someone unacceptable refers to me from across a crowded room as "Hey, b***h!" I may be disinclined to think of them favourably.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:45 am
Ayita
TeaDidikai

I never gave them names. They were a balance of male and female, one god to each. I suppose they were similar to the Wiccan concepts of the Lord and Lady (or am I confusing that with something else?).
Please understand- I mean no offense, but is it possible that the reason you are currently in a state of flux is because instead of addressing deities in your initial practice, you addressed vague archetypes?  

TeaDidikai

Ayita

Moonlight Comrade

10,500 Points
  • Winter Warrior 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:45 am
TeaDidikai
Please understand- I mean no offense, but is it possible that the reason you are currently in a state of flux is because instead of addressing deities in your initial practice, you addressed vague archetypes?

It's possible. But I think there are more psychological reasons than religious. Not to sound childish, but I never lived in a place long enough to adjust. I have a hard time feeling a sense of belonging to anything (or anyone), name included. I'm working on that, and I probably need some counseling, which I intend to get when I have a bit more time. I'm just feeling that I need to sort through everything I want to be, and everything I think is true.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff