Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Coming Out of the Broom Closet Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starlock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:59 am
TeaDidikai
Starlock
TeaDidikai
Perhaps you should communicate more clearly. I suggest using qualifiers to avoid blanket assertions.

Perhaps.
Perhaps as well you should avoid assuming a statement is an absolute when it is not written as such?
mrgreen
However- it is written as such. No alterntives are listed, no qualifiers placed.

Am I expected to read your mind or your words?

No, it isn't written as such, you interpreted it as such for whatever reason. It isn't an absolutist statement, but I can see how it can be read that way; it seems in reading you tend to presume a statement is an absolute unless qualified or punctuated with alternatives. Others may not approach things with that assumption. Even better, others might think, 'well, they didn't exactly say this is always the case, nor did they add a qualifier which explicitly stated it wasn't always the case. Since I don't know for sure... hmm... maybe I should ask the poster for clarification before assuming what they meant?'
mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:42 am
Starlock

No, it isn't written as such, you interpreted it as such for whatever reason. It isn't an absolutist statement, but I can see how it can be read that way; it seems in reading you tend to presume a statement is an absolute unless qualified or punctuated with alternatives. Others may not approach things with that assumption. Even better, others might think, 'well, they didn't exactly say this is always the case, nor did they add a qualifier which explicitly stated it wasn't always the case. Since I don't know for sure... hmm... maybe I should ask the poster for clarification before assuming what they meant?'
mrgreen
Actually, The Writing 101 courses I am familiar with explain that positive assertions are intended to be held as fact and it is the author’s job to support their position and make exceptions.

Granted, I don’t expect people to express themselves flawlessly, but I do expect intellectual honesty and for them to make corrections to clarify their meaning instead of pussyfooting around semantics.

Now- I could have said Writing 101 Courses explain that positive assertions are held as fact and it is the author’s job to support their position or make exceptions, but that wouldn’t be the kind of positive assertions someone who is intending to communicate a clear idea would use.

The posts of yours I object to most use a lot of High School level psychology to justify themselves. The problem with that is that it is a watered down system designed to be an introduction to a complex and ever changing field. For all I know- you honestly believe the fluffy psych you post.

I guess in the future instead of saying “Where was it said that … ?” You could say “Oops. I meant…”. If only for the sake of intellectual honesty.  

TeaDidikai

PaganPanda89

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:35 am
AngieAki
I have thought about coming out about being a Neo-Pagan to my friends and family. My parents wouldn't be too upset just a little condescending and my fear is that they may try to convert me back to being a Lutheran. For the past few years I have been "Christian" but not really "Christian" but a lot of different religions, in the closet with my family. I don't think they will kick me out or anything like that.

I know that in order for me to be able to really expand spiritually and express my spirituality they would have to be aware of my religious standing. I would have to be able to have books, practice rituals, have an alter without being afraid of being caught. I don't want to hide anymore.

What do you suggest that I say to my parents? I have a basic idea but I want to know some of yours. How did you come out?

Well my mom is very accepting and my dad died before I could come out to him so I didn't have much trouble there. With people that I fear might have a problem with it, I just start talking about pagan beliefs like I were just talking about something I had learned. That way I get to feel them out on the subject and better decide what to say so that when/if I finally say "I'm pagan" it's not as much of a shock. Also I can give them information about pagans that is more accurate than anything calling us devil worshippers or non-existant without exactly coming out. Connecting my beliefs to Christian ones to make them seem less threatening works sometimes, but a lot of Christians think we're all going to hell if we don't call ourselves Christian and accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior and/or whatever else they feel one must do no matter what we say. There's always going to be Christians who want to convert us. It's almost a right of passage among out pagans to have at least one attempt made to convert you. It can even make you stronger in your beliefs and help you figure out what you know and what you should know about your religion and beliefs. If they don't accept you now, you can always just shut up about it, laugh it off if they mention it, and hope they forget or think you're no longer pagan until you're either out on your own or they become less strict about religion. Good Luck!  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff