Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Eragon, the trilogy. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fuyuri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:56 am
Eragon was good. But really, it was like a Lord of the Rings for kids. So many things were similar.
The story is interesting to read though. I can't complain. whee

I haven't bought Eldest yet, but am planing to. I'm busy at the moment with other books so it will take a while until I read it. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:52 pm
Eragon is predictable... eldest is SOOOOOOOO much better mrgreen  

hyper_azn_girl

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:34 am
I've heard that the Eragon trilogy is one of the most derivative works of fiction ever (read that as "the author ripped stuff off from other places"). I've just heard so much negative stuff about the book (apparently the main character is a Gary-Stu-i-fied version of the author) that I'm tempted to read it to see if it's really that bad.

I don't know. I might try it and see. I might not. Depends on whether or not there are any other books I want to read. At the moment, I'm chasing down anything I can find by David Eddings or Mercedes Lackey, two authors that I've only read a bit of but already like a lot. If I get time, perhaps I'll try Eragon.

P.S. I started writing when I was nine, so I don't think age has anything to do with it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:31 am
[Shadow.Elven-mage]
I've heard that the Eragon trilogy is one of the most derivative works of fiction ever (read that as "the author ripped stuff off from other places"). I've just heard so much negative stuff about the book (apparently the main character is a Gary-Stu-i-fied version of the author) that I'm tempted to read it to see if it's really that bad.

I was tempted to read it, just to see what all the fuss was about it... but then I read like 10 lines from it, which he claims are his favorite, and I was like, "Er... no. That sounds stupid." Oh, and not only his favorite, but his best part. Or something. I can write better than that. Sometimes. Yeah. So no reading Eragon for me, no matter how many star reviews and obsessive fans I see.  

NightIntent
Captain

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:24 am
NightIntent
[Shadow.Elven-mage]

I was tempted to read it, just to see what all the fuss was about it... but then I read like 10 lines from it, which he claims are his favorite, and I was like, "Er... no. That sounds stupid." Oh, and not only his favorite, but his best part. Or something. I can write better than that. Sometimes. Yeah. So no reading Eragon for me, no matter how many star reviews and obsessive fans I see.

I'll probably be the same. It just doesn't look like the type of thing I'd like, to be honest.. Besides, I have more important things to do - track down books I've been wanting to read, finish writing my god-damned novel trilogy (it was a single book but my muse went hyperactive on sugar and gave me a plan for three books instead) and take over the world by the most forceful means necessary figure out how to get past Lord Voldemort on the Sorcerer's Stone game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:29 pm
[Shadow.Elven-mage]

I'll probably be the same. It just doesn't look like the type of thing I'd like, to be honest.. Besides, I have more important things to do - track down books I've been wanting to read, finish writing my god-damned novel trilogy (it was a single book but my muse went hyperactive on sugar and gave me a plan for three books instead) and take over the world by the most forceful means necessary figure out how to get past Lord Voldemort on the Sorcerer's Stone game.

Oh, look, another person who wants to take over the world! Let's see, that's how many people I know that want to take it over? Four. And one who wants to destroy it. I know weird people. I have the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone game for GameBoy Color. Beat it way too many times, got bored, and haven't touched it in forever.  

NightIntent
Captain

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:54 pm
NightIntent
[Shadow.Elven-mage]

Oh, look, another person who wants to take over the world! Let's see, that's how many people I know that want to take it over? Four. And one who wants to destroy it. I know weird people. I have the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone game for GameBoy Color. Beat it way too many times, got bored, and haven't touched it in forever.

I have Sorcerer's Stone for PC and Chamber of Secrets for GameBoy Advance (PC Emulator version).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:13 pm
Ah. I don't play PC games much. I stick with game consoles most of the time.

Lalalalala... shhh! We're not off topic! n.n  

NightIntent
Captain

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:12 am
NightIntent
Ah. I don't play PC games much. I stick with game consoles most of the time.

Lalalalala... shhh! We're not off topic! n.n

I don't have any consoles so I play PC games a lot.

...If you haven't already, you should try Age of Mythology. Lots of cool myth stuff in there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:41 am
Ooo, sounds neat. I'll have to look it up later.  

NightIntent
Captain

Empress_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:05 am
I recently read Eragon, it was alright. I wasn't expecting much, but it really wasn't that bad. I then read the bit at the back, the thank-you's by the author; he seems extremely annoying, if I had read that first, I'd probably not have continued.

It certainly wasn't the best of books, but it was enough to amuse me for a day or two, and I'll definately look into borrowing Eldest from the library or a friend. I wouldn't buy either, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:46 pm
I've read Eragon..and Eldest. I liked them. Sure, there's a lot of negative feedback but I like the storyline. Sure, it's majorly predictable but his writing gets way better in Eldest. Not as much foreshadowing. I can't wait for the last book, most likely called Empire but I'm a bit put out about the movie coming out in December.  

isidar_mithram

Devaki~Kao

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:11 pm
I think Eragon is a very good book. The only problem is Paolini seems a bit like a Tolkein wannabe. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:51 pm
Rabid Nozomi
It was pretty good for a 15-yr-old, but who really cares about his age? I didn't know about his age when I read it. I really don't care how old he was. I don't believe people should mention his age when telling how good the book is. Unless its something like "Its pretty good for his age." Something like that. Or something.

Anyone know what the third book will be called?

I love Saphira. She's so sarcastic and smart. And Arya. I just like Arya for some reason.

The third book will supposedly be called Empire.

But I really dislike Arya. I find her annoying. I'm not really sure why.  

Hiitachin Kaoru

Lonora

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:27 pm
I LOVE the books heart , but I HATE the author evil !!! On an interview once, the host asked him who would win between Harry Potter and Eragon. And, he said Eragon would win (quote) "Way over that Potter kid!!!" (unquote). Harry Potter canNOT be beat!!! And, it seemed like Paolini took bits and pieces and details from other fantasy books and pieced it together. Especially Lord of the Rings. gonk  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff