Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Faery (Fairy, or whatever) books- crowding our bookstores? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you oppose all these faery or however you want to spell it books?
  Yes
  No
  Goooooold!
View Results

Psychomech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:49 am
If that's the case, they are indeed crowding our book stores. However, if they're crowding our sections, they also sell, gaining the writers and their publishing companies and whomever else money, thus causing other publishing companies 'n' things to also accept and publish fairy-related books, hoping they'll sell. Of course it's smart, but when somebody has three shelves out of, say, ten in a fantasy section crowded with fairy books... well, despite liking fairy books, I'd walk to another shelf just to avoid having to choose. xP

The fairies I find I like best are O.R. Melling's. ^^; I don't dwell into new fairy books because I'm not really interested in them, and I don't wanna experiment with this many damned books on the popular market right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:31 am
Demi Goth

As long as they're not all sweet, benevolent, little-kid faeries, I don't mind.
I like seeing folklore incorporated into modern literature. Phookas and kelpies and what have you... that deeply delights me.

I agree. Lately most of the fairy books have been going back to the traditional view of them- as tricksters and often malignant beings. Well, kinda. I enjoy them. As long as they're done well, I have no objection.
Now if they were cute, kiddy fairies, I would. those get old fast.  

Tarantellatears

LadyMarcy

6,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:42 pm
I don't mind the faery/fairy taking over the bookshelves. I didn't even know they were the popular read now. I thought everything was still all vampires.

Faeries are better than vampires at least. (the tricky ones, not the goey fluff happy ones.)  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:02 pm
Faeries are awesome. I have several of the books on faeries on my shelves, in fact. Also, they can be just as dark as the best gothic vampire stories.

Laura K. Hamilton's Gentry series is one i recommend for people who like fae fantasy.  

Fae Yin

Sparkly Genius

07nightshade

Beloved Fairy

15,650 Points
  • Expert Converter 250
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:51 am
Demi Goth

As long as they're not all sweet, benevolent, little-kid faeries, I don't mind.
I like seeing folklore incorporated into modern literature. Phookas and kelpies and what have you... that deeply delights me.

I agree with you !00%! I love Fairies, both good and bad. I look at it like this, if people were not buying Fairy books, the stories wouldn't stock them. Why would they load their shelves with books that won't sell.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:20 pm
I like fae stories -- I'm all about the fae.

But I don't read them _all_ still a lot of them are written pretty well and I love fae folklore it makes me happy.

Anyway, the phase will pass -- it was dragons, now its fae, next it will be dwarves or something equally ridiculous wink

danniqi

Tarantellatears

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:05 am
LadyMarcy
I don't mind the faery/fairy taking over the bookshelves. I didn't even know they were the popular read now. I thought everything was still all vampires.

I think it's about half and half. I bet you it will be demons or shapeshifters next. Epic fantasy's going out of trend again as well.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:08 pm
I love books about Fae. There awsome. The last book i read about faes was a book called Wicked magic..

I love books with Faeries, elfs, Magic.. Anything really.  

Wolves_Witches_and_Love

Anxious Cat

8,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Tegan_Sky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:13 pm
I have always enjoyed a a good fairy book every now and then, but your right if there is too many the stories get kind of old unless a new spin is put on them. I have recently read a fairy series by Frewin Jones. The books are The Faerie Path, The Faerie Queen, and The Sorcerer King. All are extremely good books and Jones has a created a wonderful new adventure. If you haven't noticed, I definitely reccomend this book.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:19 pm
I do think they're getting a bit generic, but I enjoy most of them. Charles De Lindt does fairies sort of, but more magic beings. Inkheart was pretty good too.  

fairywaif

Shinigami_Princess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:19 pm
I don't mind them as long as they're written well and not all Barbie-Happyish. That'd be extremely annoying and for little kids. I like the Faery Tale books written by Holly Black, they're called Tithe, Valient, and Ironside. They modern and exciting and awesome.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:44 pm
Honestly, we must be looking at different bookshelves. I see a trend toward more and more vampire and werewolf fiction than fairies.

I do see some instances of Faerie (the world) popping up in series I'm already reading. Anything from the Dresden books to a series of non-fantasy by Evanovitch has had appearances of Faerie or its people. I don't think this is a bad thing.

If you dislike the current reading choices, just wait around. Trends change.  

Wissakins

TheBlueFeathers

Desirable Sex Symbol

5,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:59 pm
I'm not quite sure where you live but man would I love to go to your bookstores.
I hardly can say that Faery books crowd my libraries or stores, I crave them! But they are no where in sight around here...either that or I'm just blind....I'm probably just blind 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:46 pm
yeah, i really like fairies, ye ken? and iono, but there aren't an abundance of fairy books where i live...  

miriflower17

Kahahana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:59 pm
Just so you know, I do live probably very far from where you people are. Hawaii... We're behind on a lot.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff