Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Tarot cards!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:20 am
TheDisreputableDog
Reading up on palmistry, and I'm wondering...derived from class stereotypes in any way?

I just keep seeing things like "the fleshier this part of the hand is, the more compassionate the person is" and "long, thin, smooth hands mean creativity and intelligence" and "stubby fingers indicate a criminal tendency." It just smacks of "sophisticated" hands vs "coarse" hands--upper class vs working class--etc.
That's part of it.

There are other things tied to it as well, such as aspects of vedic philosophy and astrology.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:38 pm
My great great grandmother used to be able to read palms, and perhaps it's due to this sort of psychic connection in my family that I've always been attracted to divinatory tools. I've got a Rider-Waite tarot deck, a set of handmade futhark runes, and I've used pendulums as well. I always manage to lose my pendulums, or invariably they break - I'm careful with them and I don't treat them that roughly, so I've started to think that maybe I'm just not supposed to go that route.

I haven't used my runes lately but I'm still practicing with my cards - I have never done a reading for someone else, partially because I'd like to refine my methods first if possible, but I use them for possible insights into my life and relationships with others. I think my method may be a bit odd.. instead of shuffling and then drawing cards for the spread, I shuffle them and see which cards fall out face up. I use those in the order they fall out in a Celtic cross spread. This is just what felt natural for me, so I'm going with it for now.

The runes haven't really felt as intuitive to me as the cards have.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:28 am
Daffodil the Destroyer
My great great grandmother used to be able to read palms, and perhaps it's due to this sort of psychic connection in my family that I've always been attracted to divinatory tools. I've got a Rider-Waite tarot deck, a set of handmade futhark runes, and I've used pendulums as well. I always manage to lose my pendulums, or invariably they break - I'm careful with them and I don't treat them that roughly, so I've started to think that maybe I'm just not supposed to go that route.

I haven't used my runes lately but I'm still practicing with my cards - I have never done a reading for someone else, partially because I'd like to refine my methods first if possible, but I use them for possible insights into my life and relationships with others. I think my method may be a bit odd.. instead of shuffling and then drawing cards for the spread, I shuffle them and see which cards fall out face up. I use those in the order they fall out in a Celtic cross spread. This is just what felt natural for me, so I'm going with it for now.

Heilsan Daffodil ok Allir,

The answer is that they're not for a reason. One needs to understand the worldview of the Germanic peoples to be able to truly get into the Runic headspace. Tarot, by it's pictorial nature, tends to be very easy to intuit, but with the Runes, one actually has to do some homework and delve deeper into the culture of my ancestors, which is often a far greater task than one may at first think based on the writings and interpretations of most Runic authors, whom seem to spout the same concepts just reworded, which is like looking up a set of keys, but the problem with that is the fact that the key opens a door of each Rune to a multi-faceted layered system, that in reality, must be understood as a totality to be able to get anything real out of it. Just knowing that Fehu = Money is completely useless, as it's far more than that, there are factors and nuances based on its location in the Futhark, it's relation to other Runes, the impact of the Rune poems... etc.

Ver thu heil  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:29 am
I'm not sure it is fair to say that Tarot is always easier than the Elder Furthark. I think that has a lot to do with the person really.  

TeaDidikai

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:34 pm
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
Daffodil the Destroyer

Heilsan Daffodil ok Allir,

The answer is that they're not for a reason. One needs to understand the worldview of the Germanic peoples to be able to truly get into the Runic headspace. Tarot, by it's pictorial nature, tends to be very easy to intuit, but with the Runes, one actually has to do some homework and delve deeper into the culture of my ancestors, which is often a far greater task than one may at first think based on the writings and interpretations of most Runic authors, whom seem to spout the same concepts just reworded, which is like looking up a set of keys, but the problem with that is the fact that the key opens a door of each Rune to a multi-faceted layered system, that in reality, must be understood as a totality to be able to get anything real out of it. Just knowing that Fehu = Money is completely useless, as it's far more than that, there are factors and nuances based on its location in the Futhark, it's relation to other Runes, the impact of the Rune poems... etc.

Ver thu heil
That's a good description of the problems I've encountered personally... sometimes I do a fairly good job with the runes, but I do find it hard to interpret some of the deeper meanings, because I've not been able to find a lot of good information that covers all the aspects of them. I have been keeping an eye on Deo's thread about them, though. wink  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:59 am
I don't much understand Tarot cards myself...XP  

MingleSpingle

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:58 am
MingleSpingle
I don't much understand Tarot cards myself...XP
Have you looked into the general psychology of symbols and/or the Hero's Journy?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:14 pm
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
Daffodil the Destroyer

The answer is that they're not for a reason. One needs to understand the worldview of the Germanic peoples to be able to truly get into the Runic headspace.

Oddly, I have the reverse problem - Tarot doesn't come naturally to me, but I can do a solid runic reading that pans out - and I haven't finished my in depth studies yet.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:35 am
Deoridhe
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
Daffodil the Destroyer

The answer is that they're not for a reason. One needs to understand the worldview of the Germanic peoples to be able to truly get into the Runic headspace.

Oddly, I have the reverse problem - Tarot doesn't come naturally to me, but I can do a solid runic reading that pans out - and I haven't finished my in depth studies yet.
You were the one I had in mind when I made my comment earlier. heart  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:45 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Heh. Yeah, I'm always a bit weirded out when I do a reading for them and I can tell them what they're asking me about. I really should cast more regularly.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:56 am
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Heh. Yeah, I'm always a bit weirded out when I do a reading for them and I can tell them what they're asking me about. I really should cast more regularly.
Yes. Yes you should.
3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:36 pm
I use tarot cards and a pendulum. Though I think my cards are broken...

Those who've read my other thread know I recently moved up to Massachusetts and well I did a reading on my boyfriend only to find out the reading was completely off from what I know of him. I'm pretty sure he tells me the truth about everything but I can't understand why my cards were completely off. I did another reading on myself and it felt like I couldn't quit connect with them like I used to be able too. (Also I should note the first day I physically met *long story* my boyfriend I did a reading with the same deck and they were as I found out beyond accurate that day.)

So I guess my questions are has this happened to you and what are possible causes of this happening ?

Or do my cards just hate me for the moment because of where my star sign is located in relation to the moon? [/random astrology thought]

>_<

Mule of Liz Sama

5,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:04 pm
Dristinia
I use tarot cards and a pendulum. Though I think my cards are broken...

Those who've read my other thread know I recently moved up to Massachusetts and well I did a reading on my boyfriend only to find out the reading was completely off from what I know of him. I'm pretty sure he tells me the truth about everything but I can't understand why my cards were completely off. I did another reading on myself and it felt like I couldn't quit connect with them like I used to be able too. (Also I should note the first day I physically met *long story* my boyfriend I did a reading with the same deck and they were as I found out beyond accurate that day.)

So I guess my questions are has this happened to you and what are possible causes of this happening ?

Or do my cards just hate me for the moment because of where my star sign is located in relation to the moon? [/random astrology thought]

>_<

Please- please! Don't take offense.

My guess, my UPG, my personal opinion, my -insert classic Tea-ism comment about mental personal gratification practices applied in M&R-, my best most grounded reasoning is...

That you've outgrown them.

Your deck itself relies heavily on mythologies of a very specific closed culture.

The other four people I know who used and loved that deck for years (in one case, a decade!) couldn't use it after they stopped working with Thought-form shaped deities and started working with actual gods.

I cannot say for sure that this is the case for you. I cannot say for sure that it isn't a freak accident that my friends had these experiences.

I just can't ignore a pattern like that. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:15 pm

I'm not offended in the least. Thank you for the insight. It is rather strange that myself along with other's that you've known are forming a pattern around this deck. Weird. I suppose once I get some free cash I'll have to go deck searching again. sweatdrop

Mule of Liz Sama

5,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

RedRoseSpiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:41 pm
I have two tarot decks and a pendulum. One deck was suppose to be my mother's but she didn't like them much and gave them to me (this is the deck I can't find sweatdrop ) and the other was a birthday present a few years ago, an astro-tarot deck. I use that deck ever once and awhile. It's been pretty accurate over the years. More so when I read for other people than when I read for myself. I'm not sure why.

My pendulum wasn't even suppose to be a pendulum at first. It was just a pretty pendulum shaped necklace my mom's best friend gave me for a birthday. My mom was telling me about pendulum's one day and I remembered the necklace and tried it. Funny thing was, the person who told her and gave her a pendulum was the friend who gave me the necklace and had given the first deck of tarot cards to my mom.

I've been thinking about using rune stones. I'm not sure though. Truthfully, they intimidate me a bit. But I feel it's worth a try.

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff