Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Ishrie's mentee thread. (Update 1/22/08.) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold for ye? :{D
  Gold for me! :{D
View Results

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:21 pm

I used this tutorial for this picture's background User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hope it helps you. ^_^

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:27 pm
Thanks for the tutorial!  

Ishrie

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:21 pm
I love this picture, and cant wait til it's finished!
One thing. The face looks a bit....off? Like the nose is too far to the right (his right, our left) That's a perspective issue. Same with the mouth i think...

But great job! Keep it up!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:30 pm
Ishrie
@Pirate: Thank you very much for replying! I'll definitely add it in now, since other people are noticing it, too.

And I would love to see it. surprised

@Errol: Oh, thank you! That's extremely helpful, I'll redo the sky right away. I did Google up a couple pictures before I started coloring it, but I never thought to actually take notes down. That's very clever. surprised

Also, I see what you mean about the feet, but the hands look like they're slightly larger than they should be, which was intentional.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Ishrie/isitcanbeWIPtiemnow2.png

I was taught that with hands, one can always make them larger than they should be (because they'll still be believable up to a certain point), but they can never be smaller. I usually draw them larger because it makes it easier, but I'll change them along with the feet if you think it'll make it look better.

Thanks again, you guys!
The hands are actually pretty small. Anyway, I recently added a hand construction diagram to the resource thread.

Spread your hand over your face and feel where your fingers go. Your entire face will be covered. I think the problem with the hand is that the fingers should be more substantial. Anyway, check out that diagram. I found it to be helpful.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Ishrie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:21 pm
Hoshizz, more comments? You people are lovely!

@Yuri: You know, it's so funny you should mention that. I struggled hardcore with the face, and what I have now is just what I settled with. It's so nice to hear something definite that I can actually fix! I'll get right on that.

@Errol: Wow, you're very right. And here I had no idea. sweatdrop I'll get right on it, and check out that thread. Thank you very much!

old

'Kay, so I was about ready to kill myself over the texturing on the moon, when I started going it over with crazy combinations of basically every textured brush I had. Well, I eventually got to RedHeadStock's Special Effects brushes when I found something that looked right! It was amazing! Funny thing is, though, is that when I went back and looked at the pattern again at the resolution I had painted it at, it turned out that the brush I had used was actually a flower stamp. xp Ah, well. You gotta do what you gotta do!

I'm still thinking about going back and adding more gray to the moon. I dunno why, but it just seems a little too cold to me, even though I'm using a pretty cold color scheme. Then again, I'm not so sure that it'd cast off that same light blue onto the rest of the picture if it were gray(er).

So, I'm gonna go back and fix hands and faces. 3nodding Thanks again, you guys! I couldn't have gotten this far without you. Well, I could've, but the result would have been gross. gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:45 pm
The sky looks a lot better. Still, there's too much symmetry. Try moving the moon to the side a bit and scaling it down. (Since the pillows are adding visual weight to the right of the page, I'd move it left to balance that. At that size, it gets too much attention. Scale it down so things are a bit more even. Also, start to see where your eye is going first. You want to lead the eye on the page by giving people an order to look at things. (Usually in some kind of curved line flow.)

It's coming along nicely.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Ishrie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:58 pm
Hmm, yeah, I see where you're going with that. Thank you, I'll fix it.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:58 pm

THAT MOON IS FRICKEN KICKEN!

I love it! Did you make it yourself or have a tutorial? It's so awesome.

Call Me Stephanie

Ishrie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:01 pm
Uppdayt?

old

I think I touched on everything you guys said. I might not have done it right / enough, though, so feel free to tell me. I had to redo the stars in order to tweak the moon, because I was a dork and put them on the same layer. They're not now, though. I think I might go back and mess with them again; they look kinda uniform.

@Pirate: Thank you, I'm glad you like it!
I sorta winged it. I checked out the tutorial you sent me, and looked at this picture as well as basically every thumbnail that showed up on the Google Image Search for 'moon'.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:54 am
Little details:

The line of his jaw bone is dropping too low/raising not enough, which makes the perspective a bit icky.

The midline of his shirt (with the buttons and such) is too straight to be real. Even if his chest is pretty uniform, there will still be some wrinkles, plus he is seated in a 'crouched' position. His vest's folds should be compressed as well, for the same reason, now they look as if they were getting stretched.

And verify the perspective of his right arm (the one outside), looks a bit weird.

Ignore if you don't see anything. O_o  

Mogtoats

Ishrie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:42 pm
I was going to write a piece-by-piece response to everything you said, but after I wrote it I realized that I just wrote that I agreed with everything you said, so it'd be pretty pointless. xp Thanks so much, I'll go back and fix it.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:54 pm
old

I think I got everything. I started on coloring the pillows, too.  

Ishrie

Ishrie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:37 pm
Hey, all!

Here's a project from my sculpture class that I recently got back:
User Image

Some things are probably off, because I didn't use a reference... This is why I 'm posting it here. Even though I can't change anything (the slate's already had a finish added to it, so putting it back in the sand blaster would throttle it), it's an example of the best I can do by myself anatomy-wise, so pointers are greatly appreciated.

Oh, but ignore her hair. >_> I had it more varied and natural-looking in my concept sketch and initial stages, but the protective paint wore off around the edges of the strands, so when it went through the sand blaster it came out looking uniform and gross. gonk I know better, I swear!

Aaaand, here's an update on what I've had up here before:
old

I haven't been working on it much because art for school comes before personal projects, and I've been very busy trying to graduate.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:18 pm
old  

Ishrie

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:30 am
I think his right foot is backwards... gonk  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers