Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
I think you'll find this highly interesting. . . Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Draco Vampir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:09 pm
There were rumblings about doind something like this at my school. Then again, there really are not alot of actual goths at my school. there's a great deal of mansonites and slipknot fans, but not alot of actual goths. Personally, I wouldn't care either way. my usual garb is black jeans(occasionally I'll wear a pair of bondage pants), a black, nearly knee length tunic with a deep hood(i have light issues) and prescription sunglasses, kind of a dark brownish red color(again with the light issues), black and red striped vans(or black leather harley boots), and a leather belt with a black and silver pentacle belt buckle.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:11 am
I think that clothing that is "in style" promotes death more than anything else. I mean, have you seen the way north american society kills people? We sit around in front of our TV's, and eat our trans fats and sugar. Obesity is rampant. We also cannot be cool unless we get totally wasted at some party on the weekend (for teens and young adults anyway), and act tough by doing stupid things such as Playing leapfrog in cars on the road (like some dumbasses in a town near mine recently who got themselves killed). We also must support our country's military and their murderous ways.

All in all, the norm seems to be fully promoting death in everyway it can find. And I refuse to appear to support what it supports. I don't (at least for myself) promote death. ( I mean, if other north americans want to go kill themselves slowly...well that's just evolution)  

Alice_K8

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:06 pm
exeno rainbow
Rellik San
Firstly, you need to get political savvy, point out, if goth clothing is to be banned, then skate clothing is, sports clothing is, any brand name is to banned. Failure to comply to that request or to dissolve the ban, should then result in petitioning of the school, also remember to invoke your amendment rights as often as possible, should that fail the final step would be to sue the Florida school board for socio discrimination against a specific group without any real justification, don't forget to insight that bands like the beach boys and Buddy Holly were once considered satanic and that your music and fashion are just that, nothing more.

Undoubtedly they will try to use columbine as reasoning for this, so at which point, no official study has proven that the columbine incident was a result of goth culture, as no one so called expert can decide whether it was music, film or video games that supposedly inspired the shooting. Also worth pointing out, that the people involved in columbine weren't goths and were members of the trench coat mafia, which isn't affiliated with any alternative culture.

Follow these steps and worst case scenario, trench coats are banned on the grounds they are very easy to conceal weapons in and there for a security risk. You made your school board look so completely out of touch with everything, there will be an in depth investigation into the board, which will result in members being replaced with more 'in touch' representatives of various alt. cultures.

Works every time. wink

That would work! Rellik San, you're a genius aren't you? Or you've had a lot of experience with this kind of stuff.

In any case, I hate Florida and can't wait to get out of here DX

They told me in college I should be a politician, I'd be a great one were it not for the fact I'm honest and not a crook. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:54 pm
AltruistAlice
I think that clothing that is "in style" promotes death more than anything else. I mean, have you seen the way north american society kills people? We sit around in front of our TV's, and eat our trans fats and sugar. Obesity is rampant. We also cannot be cool unless we get totally wasted at some party on the weekend (for teens and young adults anyway), and act tough by doing stupid things such as Playing leapfrog in cars on the road (like some dumbasses in a town near mine recently who got themselves killed). We also must support our country's military and their murderous ways.

All in all, the norm seems to be fully promoting death in everyway it can find. And I refuse to appear to support what it supports. I don't (at least for myself) promote death. ( I mean, if other north americans want to go kill themselves slowly...well that's just evolution)

I completely agree with you. There are FAR more serious issues that need to be sorted out then the one of what some people choose to wear. The reason they've decided to crack down on this "clothing issue" is largley based on stereotypes, which they ovbviously haven't even bothered to investigate, otherwise this ban wouldn't have been set up in the first place. The idea that we (goths) promote "death" is ridiculous. How would they even define "promoting death"? Would wearing dark shades of clothing be considered promoting death? Or a "Kill 'em all" shirt? I'd say that smoking promotes death more then a pair of Tripp pants. Popular culture has many aspects that could be "death promoting". These people only see things outside that culture as "death promoting"...They pick up McDonalds,(obesity)light a cigarette(lung cancer), drive to work, and suspend some kid just because of his personal fashion choice.

First these people would have to decide what goth is and what styles they are going to consider goth/death promoting. They might just lump everything together and even say the GLOL promotes death. Eventually you'd have to take Rellik San's advice, and point out that all other "alternative" clothing is to be banned or anything that identifies you with a praticular lifestyle.

If the board does use Columbine as an argument for their side, then they don't know anything about it, or are just to lazy to think of a better argument and they probably don't deserve to continue to hold their positions then.

Unless they can come up with some pretty damn good reasoning behind this ban that mostly invovles us, then all the ban does is show their igornace and intolerance and that they deserve to be switched out with more "in-touch" people, like Rellik San said, again. Trench coats are a potential security threat, and I understand if they ban those, but they've gone too far with this.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

The 69th Unknown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:15 pm
You all have interesting opinions on the matter, and I'm glad I posted this!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:06 pm
JeanClaude11
You all have interesting opinions on the matter, and I'm glad I posted this!
We're glad to, for informing us.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:24 pm
Gah. That sucks, man.

If they want something to ban they should ban pants that have the crotch lower than mid-thigh. Damn wiggas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:41 am
spooky_sez
Gah. That sucks, man.

If they want something to ban they should ban pants that have the crotch lower than mid-thigh. Damn wiggas.

I agree with you on that...  

Devils_lilboy

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:00 am
spooky_sez
Gah. That sucks, man.

NEVER!

I love mah parachute pants. D:  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:30 am
heh. i was waiting for someone to bring up the idea of popular society promoting death.

bearing in mind that the worst thing you'd see on a shirt from a gothic clothing company is a skeleton or a blood spatter, I've seen popular kids walking around school with baggy bluejeans that have handgun patches on the sides of them, and tshirts with an Uzi in the exact position it would sit were it on a strap over your opposite shoulder, complete with the strap printed on. no teacher complains to them. I've seen kids walking around in G-Unit tshirts, I've seen kids walking around with basebal caps that say "Sex" or tshirts that say "Natural born killer" and no teacher complains, and yet when I wear a black top with a skull and crossbones on it I'm suddenly a danger. when i wear a hoodie with a pentacle i get odd looks, and when I wear a tunic I get told off by all of my teachers. It's simply bullshit.

So the question is, Why is it that america and canada feel it more neccessary to target the Gothic subculture and completely unneccessary to target the gangsta rap subculture, even after a white guy who was overly obsessed with gangsta rap went on a rampage here and killed several people in 3 cities including my own, and held no regrets for the innocent lives he had taken?  

Draco Vampir

jaenus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:48 pm
Devils_lilboy
spooky_sez
Gah. That sucks, man.

Me too. Try to be sarcastic and suggest banning mini skirts and ultra skimpy bikinis for promoting sex and immorality. Oh, and ban condom commercials too pirate  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:16 pm
You should take Rellik San's advice.

As for the ban itself...that is ridiculous. Gothic style clothing doesn't promote death or violence, it's just a style. You don't see them cracking down on people who wear drug related symbols or short skirts with thongs (shivers slightly at the thoughts of some of the girls in school)! Some things I could understand banning, like trenchcloaks and really pointy spikes, but all clothing with gothic tones in general? That's just plain mean!  

Celestial Anachronism

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:51 pm
jaenus
Devils_lilboy
spooky_sez
Gah. That sucks, man.

Me too. Try to be sarcastic and suggest banning mini skirts and ultra skimpy bikinis for promoting sex and immorality. Oh, and ban condom commercials too pirate

Yah, talk to the Vatican about that, it might actually be taken into consideration.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:43 pm
This is very disappointing.
I'm sorry that the schools seem to be focusing their attention on "problems" that aren't problems.

Why not focus their attentions on something more worth while. Like I don't know...maybe gangs? Or how bout drug use.

dark and demented

The_Super_Nintenho

Rogue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:23 pm
My school does a similar thing, they don't allow chains, long trench coats, and anything that promotes anything inappropriate(like drugs) or sexual. Personally, I think it's pointless to limit what people can wear, because being young we should be able to live life up and express ourselves the way we want, and really every time I think of it I don't see how it affects anything, clothing doesn't do anything, people do.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff