Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Stephen King Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Merlinssister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:09 am
My mum's a huge Stephen King fan and has most of his books but I've never actually got around to reading any of them. If I ever do get round to it which ones do I HAVE to read? I've seen some of Kingdom Hospital and was pretty freaked out by the giant aardvark.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:46 am
Merlinssister
My mum's a huge Stephen King fan and has most of his books but I've never actually got around to reading any of them. If I ever do get round to it which ones do I HAVE to read? I've seen some of Kingdom Hospital and was pretty freaked out by the giant aardvark.

Well, I have read only the Dark Tower books, so I'll feel free to recommend them. Yes, you can freely start with them  

LotesseElf

xpumkynxmonkiex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:54 am
sadly, ive only read Cujo.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:54 am
my parents dont approve of him. not even Carrie, which i want to read ever so much crying  

xpumkynxmonkiex

Mink Biscuit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:57 am
Eh. I've always been more of a fan of his short stories, but I've heard such nice things about the Dark Tower series that I might pick them up after I get through my current book queue.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:00 pm
Every time I hear Stephen King's name I feel a chill go down my spine, he is truley one of the greatest horror writters of all time! I've read parts of his books and I have to close them after a while because it weirds me out.

Every time one of his movies come on I want to run into the other, I eventually watch them during the day time because I feel safer then ^^

Rose Red was awesome! It's super long but it is a joy and I love how he plays the pizza guy in his movie ^^

I've seen the shinning way too many times to count and Carrie once (I also saw Carrie 2 but was that actually made by him?).

Secret Window is awesome! (But I mainly just watched that one because it was Johnny Depp but the Stephen King thing was extra goodness ^^ ).

Lunar_Aphrodite

Shiama

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:32 pm
My mother lvoes stephen king and has all of his older books and if she had more time to read she would have the latest ones. She is even, even though it isnt bad and I watch it to, the NIghtmares and Dreamscapes he made for television. Good show.

Either way I tried reading one of his older, older books, and I never got all the way through it. It wasnt that the story wasnt good but I couldnt really keep going with the writing.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:07 am
Eh... I can take King or leave him. I think he tends to pile the twists on a little to thick in his novels. You know, where he could leave it with a chilling suggestion, he fills it out like a third grade teacher. I usually stop reading his longer novels between 15 and 50 pages before the "spine tingling" finale because it's old hat by then.

His characters are sometimes kinda fun tho' - especially some of his local color guys. Really, I got the same problem with M Night Shamyalan. His stories are okay and kinda spooky and his characters are interesting... right up until the denouement. I think you only need one per telling and both King and Shamyalan disagree.

But I like most his short stories. I kinda suspect some of the folks in this guild might be shills for various media interests, but I'm gonna mention Nightmares and Dreamscapes, and do their horrible job for 'em anyway. I was glad they adapted "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band" I think it's called and doubly happy Steven Weber ('sthat how you spell his name?) Landed the roll. 'Course, I don't have cable, but it was glad news anyhow.  

Harbone

Sol-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:56 pm
I love Stephen King, though I've discovered several times that staying up until two in the morning reading his books isn't a good idea for people like me. At two in the morning, the tiny amount of common sense I had flies out the window and leaves me scared out of my mind. sweatdrop
Seriously, though, I loved Carrie, Cujo, Christina, The Dead Zone, The Stand, and Insomnia. They are very good. ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:20 pm
Cassandra_the_Prophetess
Ooooh, i've only read The Dark Tower series, but i LOVED it! Cried soooo much, it was superbly written.

so im not the only one who's cried?!
yay!
how far have you read?
wondering if you are crying over the end of the final book or what... god i hope not, that would mean the ending is bad... and that would be bad!!  

haelia

haelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:28 pm
depp_lover
Every time I hear Stephen King's name I feel a chill go down my spine, he is truley one of the greatest horror writters of all time! I've read parts of his books and I have to close them after a while because it weirds me out.

Every time one of his movies come on I want to run into the other, I eventually watch them during the day time because I feel safer then ^^

Rose Red was awesome! It's super long but it is a joy and I love how he plays the pizza guy in his movie ^^

I've seen the shinning way too many times to count and Carrie once (I also saw Carrie 2 but was that actually made by him?).

Secret Window is awesome! (But I mainly just watched that one because it was Johnny Depp but the Stephen King thing was extra goodness ^^ ).

dude, secret window was a king book?
looking back now, yeah, i can deffinately see it.
i never knew that though, and i like love stephen's works!!
but i too only wanted to watch secret window b/c of johnny depp. i love johnny, my favorite actor. oh, and that it was suposed to be "scary". i didn't think so...
and i am generally easily scared by movies, not so much by books though.
like pet cemetary. i checked it out from my library because the back said something like "king's scariest book by far!" i was sorely disappoined from the lack of scare-age. i mean seriously, my step dad got me all pumped ( i had to refind the nerve to be scared shitless three times before i actually read it) and while it was an excellent book, i didn't find anything too terribly scarey about a little boy stabbing his mother and saying "i have something for you mommy, i have something for you!!!" and that was the freakiest part of the book...

ok

to end my novel....

peace y'all!!

~*Hae Hae*~  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:02 pm
hehe, i found it.
it's not a novel, but a short story!!
that would be why!!
i am in the middle of reading it right now...
quite different from the movie...

but then, they always are....  

haelia

witchhunterrobin80

800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:20 pm
What about Stand By Me, one of the ultimate King movies, also IT but that is way better in book form if you have the stamina for it. Rose Madder, The Eyes of the Dragon, Insomnia and sooooooo many others, Stephen King's books are all a bit of fantasy even in a horror setting with the dark tower series drawing it all together. If you are having trouble getting started there is always the graphic novels. And if you are looking for the hardbacks, the best place to look is used bookstores. I have gotten some really great deals there and I have every Stepen King novel except for the new one which I am reading from the library.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:31 pm
I've read Carrie and loved it. I own Stephen King Goes to the Movies which is a collection of all his short stories that have been adapted into films. My fave story of all time is The Shawshank Redemption or, as it's known in the novel form, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. Green Mile comes in a close second.  

Celestiara

murphyad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:56 pm
The Shinning is good

and

Skeleton Crew  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers