Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
ADF, or Those Elitist Pagan Punks! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:10 pm
TeaDidikai
Is there any guideline for ethics (outside of the bloodletting) when it comes to taking from other cultures for public ritual?
context and verifiability, as far as guidelines go, but i don't think it would be considered ethics. much of what has been constructed has pulled from multiple cultures where something seems to be fairly prominent.

when it comes to offending the Kindreds, during each ritual we offer a piacular sacrifice. it has on occasion been thrown back at us. in that event, we either consider if there were unused offerings or forgotten ones, or end the ritual right then and attempt to deduce what went wrong.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:08 am
phoenix shadowwolf

when it comes to offending the Kindreds, during each ritual we offer a piacular sacrifice. it has on occasion been thrown back at us. in that event, we either consider if there were unused offerings or forgotten ones, or end the ritual right then and attempt to deduce what went wrong.
Interesting- are you able to discuss some instances of this?  

TeaDidikai

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:06 pm
TeaDidikai
phoenix shadowwolf

Interesting- are you able to discuss some instances of this?
certainly. the most recent being our blessing rite on 8/18.

as part of our ritual order, we always have a piacular sacrifice lined up. this particular saturday was feeling a little less than it usually does, and when the Celebrant went to put the three incense sticks for that saturday's piacular, one broke and one fell as soon as it was placed. it might not sound like much, but added to the distinct feeling of not being connected, the celebrant asked us if any had intended on making offerings and had not.

there were a few who had grabbed for something but had not made them during the praise offering part, so they came up again, and meanwhile a friend and i remembered that another member had left halfway through the ceremony, so i made a sacrifice in her name to her patron.

if that wasn't enough, when the celebrant went to take the omen, one of the things given was struggle.

talking with her after, she said all the Kindred were yelling at her when it came time for the piacular. i told her if it happens again, she needs to end the ritual. at least when it comes to taking the omens, if it is not good and it indicated the Kindreds do not accept the sacrifice, we are supposed to simply end the rite. stands to reason the piacular should follow suit.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:22 am
Intersting stuff!

Is ADF another druid order? Or is it an offshoot/something else completely to druidry?  

patch99329

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:16 pm
patch99329
Intersting stuff!

Is ADF another druid order? Or is it an offshoot/something else completely to druidry?
sadly, it is considered another druid order. once i flesh out how i want the post to appear, i'll lay out my opinions, experience and conversations with other members upon that word.

technically, it is an offshoot of Reformed Druids of North America (RDNA), and Keltria hived from ADF. Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids (OBOD) is completely seperate, although some members belong to both (which is also the case with the Troth).  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:09 pm
phoenix shadowwolf
Ár nDraíocht Féin, as it is translated, means literally "our own magic". Depending on who you speak with, they might take it as "our own path", or even the common "our own Druidry" (more on the use of the word "Druid" later).

The only valid translations of "ár ndraíocht féin" are "our own magic" or "our own druidry". "Our own path" would translate to "ár slí féin".
(Don't worry, I'm not going to bring my personal crusade into your thread)  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:10 am
Cuchullain
phoenix shadowwolf
Ár nDraíocht Féin, as it is translated, means literally "our own magic". Depending on who you speak with, they might take it as "our own path", or even the common "our own Druidry" (more on the use of the word "Druid" later).

The only valid translations of "ár ndraíocht féin" are "our own magic" or "our own druidry". "Our own path" would translate to "ár slí féin".
(Don't worry, I'm not going to bring my personal crusade into your thread)
no worries, really. most of my dissension with the use of the d-word is linked back to you and Tea. you both made valid points and am in the process of coming up with an alternate title.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:52 pm
TheTroth? Are you saying that some members of ADF are Asatru as well?  

RubyLight

SweetAngelOokami

Dapper Shapeshifter

8,250 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:10 pm
RubyLight

Hope saint dreya doesn't mind me peeking in. *is also an ADF-er*

Yes, ADF is a Pan-Indo-European group of sorts. We call the pantheon a group or individual works with their hearth culture and any culture within the Indo-European group is considered acceptable for public rites (many members worship non-Indo-European deities in their private practice). So we have Norse members, Hellenic members, etc. and a lot of people also maintain memberships in groups whose focus in on their hearth culture (like The Troth, Neokoroi, Hellenion, etc.).  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:04 pm
Sorry, I've found the answer to my second question. I can't edit my post. sweatdrop  

RubyLight

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:50 pm
RubyLight
yeppers. myself, the Senior Druid of my grove, her husband, and five others in our grove. pretty much, my local Kindred (Troth community) are also members of ADF.

i'm just so new to it that i don't quite have near the knowledge that Deo and Ulfrikr and don't feel comfortable speaking about the Germanic aspect.

SweetAngelOokami
Hope saint dreya doesn't mind me peeking in. *is also an ADF-er*
no mind at all - are you a solitary or do you have a local grove?

SweetAngelOokami
Yes, ADF is a Pan-Indo-European group of sorts. We call the pantheon a group or individual works with their hearth culture and any culture within the Indo-European group is considered acceptable for public rites (many members worship non-Indo-European deities in their private practice). So we have Norse members, Hellenic members, etc. and a lot of people also maintain memberships in groups whose focus in on their hearth culture (like The Troth, Neokoroi, Hellenion, etc.).
exactly!

RubyLight
Sorry, I've found the answer to my second question. I can't edit my post. sweatdrop
no worries, smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:54 pm
put some updates and added commentary! yay for personal opinions!

use of the word "druid" is still forthcoming.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers