Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Exercise Video Review Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Toxic Watermelon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:45 pm
I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but I figure, "Hey. Its fitness DVD related. It fits!"

So anyway, this morning while waiting to leave for school, I saw an infomercial for P90X. Now, I realize that its for people in decent shape just looking to improve and I'm not a candidate yet (I still have 70 pounds to go).
But I was wondering if buying it once I have 30-40lbs to go would be smart.
Also, has anyone tried this or any product by Tony?
His products are expensive ($120 for P90X and $60 for P90) and I just want to know if I'm getting a good product.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:06 pm
Hip Hop Abs
I saw this on TV and decided to try it!
I bought the full set but the Hips, Buns, and Thighs and the 5 Minute Cardio are my favorite out off all of the disks.
They are both real workouts and get me sweating up a storm.
The 5 Minute Cardio is really nice if I'm running out of time and its powerful stuff!
AM Yoga for Beginners
This video is really nice to do in the morning for 20 minutes.
I have lower back problems and the stretches in here have helped alot with both that and to give me a nice boost of energy in the morning.
Rodney Yee leads this one and his voice is very relaxing and doesn't get as annoying as some of the others I've heard.
I'm a good morning person, no matter how long I've slept, but even my mom who doesn't like mornings, enjoys this.  

skankmuffin

Hilarious Prophet

4,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50

[.Vicodin.Dreams.]

Distinct Member

6,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:17 pm
From the son of Tae Bo instructor Billy Blanks, Cardioke is pretty awesome.

It combines karaoke with a nice dance workout.

I just did my first workout with it and it left me sweaty and happy, the pain of my first workout was well worth the inspiring end cool down workout.

I wish it did more focus on extremities (arms, legs, etc.), but I can definitely keep with this workout for my cardio.

I'll let you know more as I continue with this workout.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:46 pm
Bunniegurl123
TurboJam

I know it's expensive but it's really worth it. I love it. It's so fun to do. It takes a while to learn how to do all the moves and get used to the workouts, but it really is fun and you really feel the workout.

so I haven't posted here in a while. Probably close to a month. Anyway I thought I should get back into the swing of things.

I borrowed tj from my neighbor, and I absolutly love it! The moves are challenging enough that it keeps my interest, but it isn't way above my head. I once tried ta boe an gave it up because I just couldn't do it.

The other set that I really like is Core Rhythems. It is based on Latin ballroom dancing and it really works on ur core. It is expensive, something like $70, butif u are wiling to pay for that, I highly recomend it!  

rainst0rmz

1,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Market Browser 100

freelance lover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:52 pm
These are fabulously helpful reviews. The AM yoga one is just what I was looking for. And under 30 minute yoga based workout that will help me keep in shape will help combat my back and shoulder issues. There's a few others I'm interested in as well, but we'll start with the Yoga one.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:16 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I started using Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred last August and I have to say I am so happy I decided to make the $15 purchase. It has three workouts, each one harder than the first. I don't really diet, but I do the dvd every day including weekends and it made me feel great! I did level 1 for ten days, then moved on to level 2, then after another 10 days I worked my way through level 3. After the 30 days I just alternated between levels to mix up my workout. I'm still using the dvd. Jillian gives you a great workout in a short amount of time and it makes you sweat a lot! I give this dvd 5 stars.

I just bought the Denise Austin: Best Belly Fat-Blasters dvd and I'm waiting to get it in the mail. I'll let you know how that turns out once I try it. biggrin

Chloe_the_Cursed

bittersweet irish coffee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:04 am
i just bought a Pilate DVD last night and I have a Body Boot Camp DVD.

the body boot camp has 4 different sessions you can do. and its 30 min of intense work out.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:04 pm
Let me say that I consider myself an intermediate to advanced exerciser.

Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Bost Metabolism.

This is one of the only ones I have that makes me sore the day after, although I wouldn't consider it "hard" (for me). Seven 6-minute circuits (do each twice) that feature a lot of jumping.

As always, I think that the warm-up and cool-down are too short. I am a person who favors at least five minutes of warm-up if I am going to do a 45 minute exercise.

My main objection is that this video is really boring. I love that I feel worked, but if I only want to do it once per week, then what good is it? And she recommends doing it five times per week >.>

Jeanette Jenkins: Kickbox Bootcamp

...I'm pretty sure that's correct. This ones doesn't work me super hard but it is the only one in which I am pleased with the warm-up and cool down. Around five mins for both!

This one uses weights for some of the segments. There are lots of squats =)

Damn. I have to finish this later.  

Omorose Panya

Wheezing Prophet

7,350 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Roslin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:22 am
Luscious: The BellyDance Work Out

Okay, Belly dancing is something I really want to pursue. I think it's beautiful and confidence building. Modern day mentality would call it sexy even though Belly dance was originally performed by women for women. I find it empowering.

I'd like the emphasize, and the DVD emphasizes, that this is not a cardio work out, but I did kind of break a sweat. It goes pretty fast at first and can be kind of frustrating but after I found the step by step tutorial part it was easier. It's not a quick DVD if you want to do the whole work out. I spent at least an hour doing it but I had a lot of fun doing it. It's kind of silly sounding at parts because one of the narrators has that whole new age calming voice but I'll be doing it again. I did feel some work in my abs. It also doesn't require a ton of space and gets you to move your body in ways you normally wouldn't.

It teaches you:
- Hip circles
- Infinity loops
- Undulations
- Hip accents
- Shimmy
- Body lines

10 Minute Solution: Fat Blasting Dance Mix

I bought this DVD a few years ago and revisited it this week. I had bought it after my cousin had lost considerable weight doing the entire 10 minute DVD every day. It's pretty fun but not what I would call dancing. It's aerobic dancing I guess. It goes at a good pace for when you're just learning the moves repeating each move several times and at a slowly increasing pace. However, after you've done the DVD a couple of times and know the routines fairly well it can be boring going through the learning part over and over again. One of the nice thing about this DVD is you can create a custom playlist of work outs that you want to do that day.

Work outs are:
- Simple Slimmer
- Calorie Meltdown
- Fat Burning Party
- Butt and Thigh Blaster
- Ab Attack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:15 pm
User Image

ZUMBA
"Ditch the workout, join the party!"

I must say, this is the video that got me addicted to exercising.

Zumba can be quite expensive. You can buy the single dvd's for about $20, but I recommend getting the whole transformation set, which is about $65 on the website

The routines feature interval training sessions where fast and slow rhythms and resistance training are combined to tone and sculpt your body while burning fat. Add some Latin flavor and international zest into the mix and you've got a Zumba class!

Basically what you're doing is dancing off the pounds! The music is so fun, I can;t stop smiling when doing it!

But, be warned. You will sweat! Its classified as a high intense workout, and you can burn up to 1000 calories per hour of it (:

But don't let that scare you, I've never had so much fun before in my life!

Il L o l l i-x-R o t lI

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:02 am
Does DDR count? blaugh For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a video game. All you need is a PS2, the disc, and a DDR dance pad. It's a dancing game where you jump on the arrows at the same time as the arrows on the screen reach the top. It's soooo much fun, and the more you play, the better you get, and can move on to harder, faster songs. I remember I used to play for 2+ hours everyday just because it was soooo much fun.

This one is my favorite out of all of them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:44 pm
I can't believe nobody's posted here in about 9 months. eek

Uhm... Anyways...

I've recently been trying Bob Harper's Inside Out Method Pure Burn Super Strength DVD, and I like it.
Recommended To: Men and Women (ages 18-50) without heart, back, or mobility problems

The Good: It's a super-simple workout that has your heart rate up the whole time (if you're doing it right with the right weights!). It involves squats, lunges, push-ups, down & outs, a whole lot of arm exercises (bicep curls, overhead presses, etc.), and crunches. He works everything you know how to use in your body, and he does it such a way that as the lower body gets to rest, the upper body is working, and vice-versa. The best part is, when it's done, it's done. He works both sides at the same time (most of the time), so just as you're tired of this particular exercise, he gives you a new one. It feels fast-paced in a pleasant "I'm going to have time to wash the laundry" type of way. He has a timer on the bottom of the screen so you know how much longer you have until the workout is complete; you'd be surprised to find how much time passes and how quickly when you're actively engaged in everything.

The Bad: He sucks at explaining things, and even has his workout crew with him questioning if he meant something else. When it comes near the end of the workout, he even has to get on the ground and show everyone what he's instructing them to do. You'll need to keep a close eye on the television if you don't have experience in any of the exercises he uses in his DVD. You'll also need a set of hand weights with the video and, if you love it as much as I do, you'll need to keep using heavier and heavier weights as you progress. This could make it expensive if you don't already have hand weights in your possession.

The Ugly: You'll love him for being nice and making you laugh (at times, unintentionally), but you'll hate him for making you do certain things. However, repeatedly yelling "I HATE YOU, BOB!" to the television could make the neighbors call the cops when they were sure you were alone.

Another one I've tried is Skinny b***h Fitness: Body, and I wasn't impressed with it in the slightest.
Recommended To: Young women (ages 16-23), and older women (ages 37-52) that want to pretend they're 16-23 again

The Good: You'll laugh throughout the video, and it's pretty easy. And they're not actually bitches.

The Bad: But they are annoying as crap. It's a stereotypical chick DVD; the two girls are talking to each other the whole time. I'm not into gossip magazines and I don't give a s**t that they're trying to create an air for girls to feel "accepted"---at the end of the day, it's just a marketing ploy to sell a DVD. It feels like a yoga class more than an actual workout. And there is no stretching after everything, so it's all up to you to decide if that's what helps prevent muscle soreness; they instead give you a 5-minute clip of them "meditating" to music at the end to cool down.

The Ugly: At times, if feels like the camera guy is obsessed with their face. By the time you look up at the television to see what they're doing, you have, at the very most, a waist-up shot that doesn't help you with proper form. It also drags on because they only work one half of the body at a time. Just when you think you're done, they switch to the other side. You know how much it sucks because you just lived it, but you HAVE to do it, unless you want to be uneven. They also make you work on the same part of the body over and over again until the DVD goes to the next part of the body to work on, so it feels unfulfilling and time consuming.

Almost Poetic

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games