Reply Music - Related Topics
Goth Music Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kikio Hurashai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:43 am
i think marliyn mason is one of them...cause he sings goth songs like "halloween" and "i put a spell on u"  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:17 am
Juileen
i think marliyn mason is one of them...cause he sings goth songs like "halloween" and "i put a spell on u"

not goth.  

Sinister Kung Fu

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:44 am
Sinister Kung Fu
Juileen

not goth.

Merely shock rock.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:10 am
Rellik San
Sinister Kung Fu
Juileen

not goth.

Merely shock rock.

Shock rock is not a genre.  

Sinister Kung Fu

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:02 am
Sinister Kung Fu
Rellik San
Sinister Kung Fu
Juileen

not goth.

Merely shock rock.

Sure it is, its an image based rock band, the image in question is one of a shocking nature.

Otherwise, by your reckoning, there is no such thing as Glam and Visual Kei. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:40 pm
GilAskan
CypressMoons
instead of buying them hun, try LimeWire, i found most of my music off of it.. just an idea is all...

Getting ahold of goth music really isn't impossible, and a lot of us want to support the bands we love.

"Believe it or not, you are not valuable to the artist if you do not contribute to his success...If you get an artist's work for free and then show it to a friend while also showing him how to get it for free, you are not creating a fan or helping the artist, you're adding another leech into the system. Only when you or your friend actually contribute to the artist's work are you fans in the real sense of the word."

~ ANN, Answerman

Here here! *raises glass in the air*  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:30 am
XWraith_LordX
GilAskan
CypressMoons
instead of buying them hun, try LimeWire, i found most of my music off of it.. just an idea is all...

Getting ahold of goth music really isn't impossible, and a lot of us want to support the bands we love.

"Believe it or not, you are not valuable to the artist if you do not contribute to his success...If you get an artist's work for free and then show it to a friend while also showing him how to get it for free, you are not creating a fan or helping the artist, you're adding another leech into the system. Only when you or your friend actually contribute to the artist's work are you fans in the real sense of the word."

~ ANN, Answerman

Here here! *raises glass in the air*

Like I said, I'll support my artists through merch and gig tickets, I'll start buying mp3's and CD's when the record companies stops trying to bend people over a table and anally rape them.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:17 am
Rellik San
Sinister Kung Fu
Rellik San
Sinister Kung Fu
Juileen

not goth.

Merely shock rock.

Sure it is, its an image based rock band, the image in question is one of a shocking nature.

So tell me the similarities between the music that Marilyn Manson plays, and the music that Screamin' Jay Hawkins played....  

Sinister Kung Fu

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:55 am
Sinister Kung Fu
Rellik San
Sinister Kung Fu
Rellik San
Sinister Kung Fu
Juileen

not goth.

Merely shock rock.

So tell me the similarities between the music that Marilyn Manson plays, and the music that Screamin' Jay Hawkins played....

Non, like I said its an image based musician, more like Alice Cooper or KISS.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:33 am
Rellik San
Sinister Kung Fu
Rellik San
Sinister Kung Fu
Rellik San

Merely shock rock.

Image does not define a music genre.  

Sinister Kung Fu

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:13 pm
Sinister Kung Fu
Rellik San
Sinister Kung Fu
Rellik San
Sinister Kung Fu
Rellik San

Merely shock rock.

Then like I said, by your reasoning, Visual Kei and Glam Rock don't exist, which means David Bowie, Dir En Grey, Wizzard and Slade don't exist.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:37 pm
Rellik San
Sinister Kung Fu
Rellik San
Sinister Kung Fu
Rellik San

Then like I said, by your reasoning, Visual Kei and Glam Rock don't exist, which means David Bowie, Dir En Grey, Wizzard and Slade don't exist.

Glam rock had a particular sound that defined it, in addition to the image.
Visual Kei is more of a fashion/cultural movement than a genre, much like the cosplay culture. The music is predominately hard rock.  

Sinister Kung Fu

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:35 am
Sinister Kung Fu
Rellik San
Sinister Kung Fu
Rellik San
Sinister Kung Fu
Rellik San

Glam rock had a particular sound that defined it, in addition to the image.
Visual Kei is more of a fashion/cultural movement than a genre, much like the cosplay culture. The music is predominately hard rock.

And yet you say shock rock, because of its heavy reliance on shocking lyrics, often with highly sexualized content and a style that has extremes ranging from the original Manson look to Gwar, is a non-genre? Because you decided it to be a non-Genre... despite me probably being into alternative music, longer then most people here... so know for a fact its a genre, because I was around during its prime, when it was known as shock rock.

Your argument has no point, no validity, it consists of, a genre can't be defined by its look, in which case then, why isn't Visual Kei, just called J-Rock and isn't Glam just called Rock and Roll?... let me guess... and this is probably gonna be an accurate one, because either this is the first time you've heard of shock rock, or because Wikipedia (something anybody can adjust and edit) says so.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:09 am
Sinister Kung Fu

I love Screamin' Jay, by the way. I actually have "Voodoo Jive" in my car's CD player right now.

And on an unrelated note, I think Screamin' Jay is often overlooked for his influence on goth. While some of his odder tracks (like the immature "Constipation Blues" or the exceptionally racist cover of "I love Paris") don't deserve such mention, his more down-to-Earth work was some of the first popular music to establish macabre or dark themes. I can't help but hear similarities between his vocal polarity and Peter Murphy's with Bauhaus.  

GilAskan
Crew

Sinister Kung Fu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:19 am
Rellik San

And yet you say shock rock, because of its heavy reliance on shocking lyrics, often with highly sexualized content and a style that has extremes ranging from the original Manson look to Gwar, is a non-genre?

Gwar is not "shock rock", they're thrash metal.

Rellik San

Because you decided it to be a non-Genre... despite me probably being into alternative music, longer then most people here... so know for a fact its a genre, because I was around during its prime, when it was known as shock rock.

Don't make baseless claims you can't back up. What? Did you start listening to Marilyn Manson in 2001? rolleyes I was listening to "alternative" music before you were even born. I guarantee I'm older than you. In other words, you're only 20. You're still a baby. STFU.

I'm not saying shock rock is not an accurate description, I'm saying it's not a genre.
You were around during it's "prime"? How old were you in 1972?. rolleyes
It's been used to describe everyone from Screamin Jay Hawkins, to The Who, to David Bowie to The New York Dolls, to GG Allin to pretty much anyone who does something a little out of the norm. There are almost NO musical similarities between any of those artists, which is the main requirement for something to be part of a genre.

Rellik San

Your argument has no point, no validity, it consists of, a genre can't be defined by its look, in which case then, why isn't Visual Kei, just called J-Rock and isn't Glam just called Rock and Roll?... let me guess... and this is probably gonna be an accurate one, because either this is the first time you've heard of shock rock, or because Wikipedia (something anybody can adjust and edit) says so.

Don't be such a condescending douchebag, just because you can't stand to be proven wrong. Everything I've said is 100% valid. Just because you're too ignorant to know any better does not invalidate my argument in the slightest.

Visual Kei is not a genre. Sure, the music encompasses part of it, but it's predominately about the costumes, and exists outside of the bands themselves. There are entire districts in Japan (Harajuku ring any bells here?) where this can be seen. It's more of an artistic and fashion movement, which just happened to be popularized by a few bands. And most people DO call it j-rock (which also is not a real genre btw).  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff