Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Fluffy, or just completely nuts? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:59 pm
JulieDoc
TheDisreputableDog
Are they soulbonders or mediakin or what?

hard to say. I've never heard of either. If "soulbonders" means they think their souls are bound to each other and mine to theirs, then, yes.
Soulbonding and mediakin are two similar brands of really intense role-playing, I guess you could say. Mediakin are people who have alternate identities who also happen to be figures from books, video games, movies, TV shows, whatever--but not just once a week at the DM's house. Soulbonding can include those but also people like furries who channel their character in their regular lives or authors who have conversations with their characters.

And there's the dangerous/annoying version and the harmless/palatable version. Sounds like you friends are the former. There are many soulbonders who don't claim they are the sole vessel for the character or suck people into insular religions, and it's just a way to express their identity or their creative muses.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:59 am
TheDisreputableDog
JulieDoc
TheDisreputableDog
Are they soulbonders or mediakin or what?

hard to say. I've never heard of either. If "soulbonders" means they think their souls are bound to each other and mine to theirs, then, yes.
Soulbonding and mediakin are two similar brands of really intense role-playing, I guess you could say. Mediakin are people who have alternate identities who also happen to be figures from books, video games, movies, TV shows, whatever--but not just once a week at the DM's house. Soulbonding can include those but also people like furries who channel their character in their regular lives or authors who have conversations with their characters.

And there's the dangerous/annoying version and the harmless/palatable version. Sounds like you friends are the former. There are many soulbonders who don't claim they are the sole vessel for the character or suck people into insular religions, and it's just a way to express their identity or their creative muses.

I might be a soulbonder. I write, and talk to my characters all the time. I suppose, in a way, the world you create becomes real to you, but I recognize it as an escape and treat it as such.

I've been role-playing , Mediakin-style, with them. The thing is, I had to "play" the character they'd "assigned" for me, even when I felt far more drawn to another, personality-wise. Once, one of them let me borrow one of her characters, but I felt really wrong about it; she'd attached herself to him so hard. Even if they didn't claim they were the only vessels for their characters, they certainly were covetous of certain ones. Then, there was their not knowing when to quit. I'd have my fun, then say, "Damn, I've been playing (character's name) for an hour and a half. I can't believe it!" They'd then say, "What do you mean (character's name)?"

I was tapped out. I didn't feel like coming up with the same responses that character would. Yet, I played for the rest of the night, at least until they decided it was time to quit.

I'm sure the harmless soulbonders and mediakin know when it's time to stop.  

Hybrid Jewel

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:40 am
JulieDoc
For some reason, I tend to think the "harmless" ones don't use such titles. Least that has been my personal experience.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:53 am
TeaDidikai
JulieDoc
For some reason, I tend to think the "harmless" ones don't use such titles. Least that has been my personal experience.
Many otherwise wonderful people can't live without labels.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:35 am
TheDisreputableDog
Many otherwise wonderful people can't live without labels.
The people I have had to deal with in real life who cling to such labels have been unsound.

At a certain point- there is a pattern of Disintegration.
The idea of Mediakin is something I find a great deal of personal amusement in myself. For a start- while I can respect having a certain amount of interest in other people's fiction, beyond MarySueing (and sometimes even then), I find people can pay far too much effort to concepts in a desire for excapeism.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:48 pm
people scare me  

NMMoriaki

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:44 pm
I know how you feel. A wile back my best friend and I befriended this girl. We were all into sailor moon and had great fun watching the show and talked about all the time. Then one day the girl said that she had a secret she wanted to tell us. She said she was the reincarnation of the lost sailor scout, Sailor Earth; that she had dreams about the moon kingdom and that she was just waiting for the time that she was needed. And then she said that my friend adn I were her scouts and that we would help her. Now at the time we thought she was kiding, but after a wile we realized she wasn't. (at the time I was righting a sailor moon fanfic, and had based one of the sailors after myself, Sailor Star ^-^) She just wouldn't leave ust alone, always talking about her destiny. Even after we stoped hanging out with her she would stalk us and ask if any cats had talked to us..... stare Its been 7 years and she still thinks she is sailor earth.....every once in a wile i'll see her and she talk to me about it.

my best adivce....run away, they take fiction to literaly  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:47 pm
Sailor Moon seems to be a favorite. (Never watched it myself)

I knew a dear boy who was going to go through a transdimentional portal and become a female sailor scout... or some such.  

TeaDidikai

Hybrid Jewel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:26 pm
Neko_Bast
I know how you feel. A wile back my best friend and I befriended this girl. We were all into sailor moon and had great fun watching the show and talked about all the time. Then one day the girl said that she had a secret she wanted to tell us. She said she was the reincarnation of the lost sailor scout, Sailor Earth; that she had dreams about the moon kingdom and that she was just waiting for the time that she was needed. And then she said that my friend adn I were her scouts and that we would help her. Now at the time we thought she was kiding, but after a wile we realized she wasn't. (at the time I was righting a sailor moon fanfic, and had based one of the sailors after myself, Sailor Star ^-^) She just wouldn't leave ust alone, always talking about her destiny. Even after we stoped hanging out with her she would stalk us and ask if any cats had talked to us..... stare Its been 7 years and she still thinks she is sailor earth.....every once in a wile i'll see her and she talk to me about it.

my best adivce....run away, they take fiction to literaly

Dreams. Pssh, just because I dream frequently of going to Hogwarts isn't a sign to me that I belong there. Pity, I was looking forward to Potions. wink

A big tip off to me is that one of them, my former roommate, invariably seizes the position that is the "leader", lead singer, captain, whoever has the most power. Her girlfriend takes whatever positions seems to be secondary, said leader's foremost helpmate. The rest of us are left to "follow".

Yeah, I'd believe it's a cult.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:26 pm
TeaDidikai

I knew a dear boy who was going to go through a transdimentional portal and become a female sailor scout... or some such.
Transdimensional portal and becoming a sailor scout... Wha? Can you elaborate?

On the off-note of being on-topic to the post. I would definitely say they are probably attempting to make some sort of cult, or something like that. Maybe to feel more important in life? Might be a more psychological thing than a spiritual thing.  

The Sir Digi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:54 am
The Sir Digi
TeaDidikai

Transdimensional portal and becoming a sailor scout... Wha? Can you elaborate?
Not sure there is much more too it.

He said that he was going to be sucked through a portal and turn into a female anime character.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:38 pm
Maby he had dreams..... ninja but just beacuse I've dreamed that I was Ranma (a male anime character) dosn't mean I'll turn a into a guy. If I believed in every dream I've had about fictional places or people......  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:30 pm
Neko_Bast
Maby he had dreams..... ninja but just beacuse I've dreamed that I was Ranma (a male anime character) dosn't mean I'll turn a into a guy. If I believed in every dream I've had about fictional places or people......
This was just his Mr. Dark, he grew out of it.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff