Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Worst Things You Can Ever Say As A Pagan Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:55 pm
Aino Ailill
Why is an appeal to popularity, when dealing with language, wrong? Is that not how words are defined - in accordance with the agreed upon meaning? Is that not how language functions?

I can understand condemning the misappropriation of others' titles, such as with 'Wicca,' 'Shaman,' and 'Druid,' because the people using these are making a claim to a position that they do not hold. They pass it off as being valid, as if they are the same as those who use the terms with the proper meaning. However, with such words as 'cult,' we don't have that issue. It has simply evolved to have new (or distorted) meaning.

This.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:01 pm
Yanueh
Celeblin Galadeneryn
W-why should we accept this?

You're telling me it's ok that people use words wrong because it's an appeal to popularity.

What I'm saying is that even though her vocabulary might have been off, what she probably meant to say is that Wicca isn't a destructive brainwashing cult, and that much is true.
Then she should say that.

Quote:
Like it or not, people don't always use words in accordance with their dictionary definitions. Annoying? Yes. Something you have to factor in when talking to the average Joe? YES. Otherwise, you're going to have a tough time talking to a lot of people.
Not really. Explaining something like that is pretty damn easy to do. You're kind of suggesting that people don't understand simple things.

Here's the point: I'd rather explain myself than use words incorrectly.

Quote:
I'd also like to point out that if she looked up Wicca in the dictionary, she could have found something like this:
Quote:
(sometimes initial capital letter) witchcraft, esp. benevolent, nature-oriented practices derived from pre-Christian religions.
Congrats on missing the point of the dictionary: It's to categorise the popular usage of words. Hence why our surprise and you saying cult is obscure, because it's the most populous definition in the dictionary.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:09 pm
Aino Ailill
Why is an appeal to popularity, when dealing with language, wrong?
Because it's fallacious.

Quote:
Is that not how words are defined - in accordance with the agreed upon meaning? Is that not how language functions?
First, the agreed upon meaning for cult is the one I'm saying. The one she's putting forth was only added to Oxford in an May 2007 addendum, which means it doesn't even appear in the main definition. Secondly, while language is continuously evolving, if we are forced to accept every change made, even if it has popular support, language would break down just as much as it would if we take the words mean anything approach. There's a reason why we put strictures on language, and why it took a deviation that has been used since at least 1971 this long to enter the Oxford., even as an addendum.

Quote:
I can understand condemning the misappropriation of others' titles, such as with 'Wicca,' 'Shaman,' and 'Druid,' because the people using these are making a claim to a position that they do not hold. They pass it off as being valid, as if they are the same as those who use the terms with the proper meaning. However, with such words as 'cult,' we don't have that issue. It has simply evolved to have new (or distorted) meaning.
But it hasn't.

That's my whole point. It has not evolved this way. She's not supported by Oxford. This is something new, and I don't have to be forced to accept it because a bunch of people want to turn a frankly very beautiful word into something tainted.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:06 pm
And now for something completely different (from the beginning)-

Quote:
Well, It has started.

All that I have invited so far are from what I have witnessed in True World or other wise Alter Users-Or those who have connected with their True Self. This is a place to gain insight and knowledge on what race, fighting style, weapon specializtion, and arts abilities you have or can gain control over.
Also, I know some of you are deep christian and religious followers, so keep an open mind about this all. It is not Devil Worship, but more of a study of the human subconcious mind and soul connected.

If any of you have questions, contact Either myself or the one known as Stevo(Mentioned as Govet in the Description) for answers. Also, feel free to invite friends who've you've seen exhibite or mention anything otherworldly.

Nazull_oUT

Quote:
First off, It's been a while, Things have changed and people have gotten stronger.

The Time's Tome has shifted it's prophecies once agian, and the Seven Years War will not be held on a physical plain, so If you have been phasing in and out of conciousness at unwanted times, that is way. Second, Now that Serryx has be reawakened and that Legendary Four of the elements have been descovered, many of us Bounders(The Users themselves) Have gotten alittle more intouch with their abilities, and thus stronger without their Altors.

I urge all to keep up with their training and if you haven't start doing it somemore.

New Bounders and Altors: Kerowyn/Liz; Legendary of Wind..
Falcon/Andrew; Legendary of Fire.
Jeigahn/Kyle; Wolfarian Bezerker
And Serryx has awakened within me, the Alter Bounder team, Nazull and Sam: Nezumian High class Shadow/Lightening Magi/Killian Master.

Quote:
I ******** hate dark gin s**t I mean I throw their world into a black hole but there should not be this many left and there attacking my homeworld of Kitsune if i don't use full power i will be overrun but if i do i will destroy my planet. little help Nazull i need the rest of the hazards!

Quote:
Well, The war is currently barred at Madussia, That's Euedaans area for all you who don't really know. But it seems that Gray has place for Seryaen and Wisora, Where Kerowyn and an un-named warrior of extreme power are holding the front for their respective groups.

The V# Zero is complete, and X has finally come out of hiding, so we have them now, and We have a few new recruits I found around stockton with my hacking....

Searouya, A harioa Female specializing in Pyro arts and Kido style melee combat.

Hrungdrince, a Trersian Male specializing in Tank style melee and a developing earthan defense.

Kikaider: Model 147 has finally been able to enter and thus adds a great warrior to our combat forces. Sadly, Fidchell had not been convinced to join our side yet, and Macha has yet to be fully awakened by Kuroda.

Quote:
Well, appearently for those of you who can sense it, the war has halted altogether.

Gray wants to put a truce up until the Twilight Incarnate(Myself) Accends so that based on my decission, he can make his.

Nothing new other than that though....

Quote:
The first thing to note that you or your friends have alter abilities is that you'll gain a sort of sixth sense on things. You could tell if someone you just met has an evil or good inent for the next action they will take. You would be able to tell how People that are good at hiding their true fillings are actually doing emotional wise. Most living things will emit a viewable aura of sorts. From here your abilities really start to show.

Quote:
Has any one been having weird dreams, feeling or been getting/seeing weird signs?

Please message me with them, I've started to really worry after the Fire Storm started, but if you noticed, that was only the beginning, right after that we had a silent lightning storm and now the quake? Me things Gaias Pissed, but what about?

Just hunting for signs and portants, I can interpret dreams and such on my own if need be, Just send them if possable.

Can anybody translate for me? Pretty pwease?  

erinnightwalker

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:08 pm
Where did you find this? Because it looks much more like an RP than some of the other stuff we've seen.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:09 pm
Yanueh

There's a huge difference between saying "Christians don't worship Christ" and "Wicca isn't a cult."
Not really. After all, the core information on the cults that stemmed from Yeshua are found within the texts written about their Christ.

The core information about if the religion of the Wica is known as a cult is... Hey! Found in the writings of the person who popularized it.

While I'm in agreement with Celeblin's argument- the most basic flaw in their assertion and yours is the fact that the ******** members of the cult call it such.

Quote:
The definition of "Christ" used by Christians isn't obscure and known by few people outside of themselves.
I would like you to prove that the majority of Christians actually understand the definition of Christ.

Quote:
Wiccans, on the other hand, use a definition of the word "cult" that is fairly obscure and therefore very likely to be misunderstood.
What makes you think it's obscure? Your personal ignorance?

Quote:
While you might call Christianity a cult,
No might about it. I do call it a cult.

Quote:
I'd like to point out that the word "cult" has such negative connotations in the English-speaking world that many churches devote quite a bit of time to explaining how they aren't a cult.
Which means they're wrong. Boo hoo.

Quote:
I believe her stating that Wicca isn't a 'cult' is defensible in the light that she was trying to defend it from being seen as a destructive cult.
And I believe that if she wants to claim to be a ******** member of a cult, she shouldn't be so ignorant as to attempt to lie about it's status, and instead should educate people on it's nature as a cult and the correct application of the ******** word.

Quote:
It was fluffy, I'll admit, but it's a far cry from the worst thing she could say.
Gee. She lied, spread misinformation about a cult she claims to be a member of, and perpetuated ignorance because heaven forbid we educate instead of pandering to those who aren't familiar with the language they speak.

Naw. It's not only fluffy, it's deceptive.

Quote:

No, she didn't.

The government can and does recognize religions in the sense that they recognize them as religions.
BULLSHIT. Tell you what- you find me a list issued by the US Government that affirms specific religions in the eyes of said government. I'll wait.

Quote:
If the government recognizes your beliefs as a religion, that gets you all kinds of cool benefits like tax-exempt status for your synagogues/mosques/churches/whatever and the symbol of your religion on your grave at Arlington. (I'm sure you remember that kerfuffle.)

The Separation clause refers to the government as recognizing an official religion and/or endorsing a religion, whereas the poster was referring to them recognizing Wicca as a religion.
WOOT! Yet another US citizen who is completely ignorant of the way the US Constitution and it's Amendments work.

Tax exempt status is not determined by any status in the eyes of the US government save for the people's ability to file paperwork with the IRS. I mean ********. I can set up My Left Testicle as a ******** tax exempt organization.

Having a symbol on your headstone at Arlington is not a matter of having your religion recognized either. It's a matter of successful bringing an anti-discrimination lawsuit against the Department of Veterans Affairs.

You have one chance.
Provide a list issued by the US Government wherein it states that the specific religions on said list are officially recognized by said government as religions, or retract your claim.

This is going to end in one of two ways. You acknowledging that you were uninformed and in error and learning from the correction, or a demonstration of how pathetic that US education system is and how full of s**t the claims to the contrary were.  

TeaDidikai

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:03 am
You know, I don't have a problem with admitting I'm wrong - and it does appear I am in some regards on this issue - but honestly, I think you're nitpicking and hammering at things that are completely irrelevant.

You accuse the girl of "lying" about Wicca's status as a cult. If she meant "cult" as in the popular definition of a destructive, brainwashing cult and was unaware of any other definition for the word, then she wasn't lying. Lying requires a deliberate intent to deceive. I don't see any reason to presume that she was being intentionally deceitful.

Quote:
BULLSHIT. Tell you what- you find me a list issued by the US Government that affirms specific religions in the eyes of said government. I'll wait.

True, there's no such list. Still, the government does have a criteria for what qualifies as a religion.

Civil rights Act of 1964
To be a bona fide religious belief entitled to protection under either the First Amendment or Title VII, a belief must be sincerely held, and within the believer's own scheme of things religious."

So, if some people went and did some oddball ritual that people complained about, the people who did the ritual would have to demonstrate that their beliefs fit the government's criteria of religion in order for their actions be sanctified according to religious freedom laws.

They wouldn't "recognize" it in the sense that it's added to a list of government-approved religions, but rather that they determine that is is, in fact, a religion opposed to, for example, a bunch of rowdy drunks making a lot of noise at night just because they can and falsely claiming freedom of religion to get away with disturbing the peace.

Do you get what I'm saying?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:24 am
Yanueh
I think you're nitpicking and hammering at things that are completely irrelevant.
Because of course your concept of what is and isn't relevant and how it reflects upon the rights and traditions of others and how it degrades that which they have sacrificed for is so much more important than their perspective in regards to their own traditions. rolleyes

Quote:
You accuse the girl of "lying" about Wicca's status as a cult.
You get once chance at this. ******** cite the exact quote where I claim this is the reason she is a liar. If not, stop putting words in my mouth.

Quote:
If she meant "cult" as in the popular definition of a destructive, brainwashing cult and was unaware of any other definition for the word, then she wasn't lying.

Quote:
Lying requires a deliberate intent to deceive. I don't see any reason to presume that she was being intentionally deceitful.
In so much that she entered into a contract with the Site wherein she agreed to follow the Terms of Service and then ignored them to perpetuate false information in an attempt to justify her position, she's a liar. rolleyes

Quote:

True, there's no such list. Still, the government does have a criteria for what qualifies as a religion.

Civil rights Act of 1964
To be a bona fide religious belief entitled to protection under either the First Amendment or Title VII, a belief must be sincerely held, and within the believer's own scheme of things religious."

So, if some people went and did some oddball ritual that people complained about, the people who did the ritual would have to demonstrate that their beliefs fit the government's criteria of religion in order for their actions be sanctified according to religious freedom laws.

They wouldn't "recognize" it in the sense that it's added to a list of government-approved religions, but rather that they determine that is is, in fact, a religion opposed to, for example, a bunch of rowdy drunks making a lot of noise at night just because they can and falsely claiming freedom of religion to get away with disturbing the peace.

Do you get what I'm saying?
I get what you're saying. I also view it as backpedaling that doesn't actually address the fact that the claims made were false.

And what you fail to understand is that the government doesn't determine that it is a religion. It determines the positions of the individuals who practice.

Also- your post demonstrates a complete ignorance of the legal precedents when it comes to the legal rights to observe their rites when said rites infringe upon others legally protected rights.

But that's not surprising given how this conversation has gone.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:15 am
Quote:
It is very hard to be specific about the g~ culture since there are several meanings; at the beginning the word was used to refer the first roman people who appeared in England around 16 th century.

It gets worse.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:20 am
TeaDidikai
Quote:
It is very hard to be specific about the g~ culture since there are several meanings; at the beginning the word was used to refer the first roman people who appeared in England around 16 th century.

It gets worse.

Wow.  

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:22 am
TeaDidikai
Quote:

It gets worse.
Sweet Gods.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:22 am
AniMajor
TeaDidikai
Quote:

It gets worse.

Wow.
burning_eyes
Seconded.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:35 am
Is it official? Did I win the thread?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:11 pm
"[Tea] is a witch. She has books on it, and I've seen her jewelry, and stuff."

I poked my head around the corner and glared at them.  

TeaDidikai

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:20 pm
TeaDidikai
Is it official? Did I win the thread?

I think you've found a whole new kind of fluff.

It's like she created a mythical race of like elves or something, then assigned it to a real-life group.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games