Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
--- C H A T B O X --- Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 ... 2614 2615 2616 2617 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boricuan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:33 am
sorry bout that but i be right back im doing some stuff to this pic see ya  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:35 am
Boricuan
sorry bout that but i be right back im doing some stuff to this pic see ya

All right.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:38 am
lurichan
MortSanglant
Finish what?

Oh and I have a story for you if you care to hear, plus I'd like the input of a guild owner.

Finish getting something for my halloween costume. 3nodding I need tickets for it, so I've been working on it here and there for a little while now.

I would love to hear your story.

Ah! I see. I haven't even thought about Halloween yet. >.<

Anywho, I was guild browsing the other day and came upon a guild called Gothic Angels.

I looked at the homepage and saw that it seemed like something akin to this guild. So I filled out the application per the instructions of the owner and sent it in. I like to consider myself a very literate person and someone who can write a good but concise statement for why I would like to be accepted, etc... So I was surprised to get a denial from the guild.

I PM'd the owner because it just bothered me that I wasn't accepted. I mean, you know us here, we're very accepting people and it's a gothic creed - if you will - be open minded and accepting. I just had to know what was the cause.

She first said that I may not have filled out the entire application. And I told her that I'm positive that I filled it out to the fullest extent.

So she responded saying that most likely there was something in my interests that the mods knew would bother the rest of the guild.

I responded simply with, "Talk about close-minded."

She didn't take immediate offense, but was on her toes by now. She asked me if I meant her. I responded that I didn't mean her, but the guild. I found it very close-minded to not even give me a chance because I might be different in my beliefs for things.

She PM'd me back saying it was probably my views on gay marriage and abortion (two questions in the application which I had answered simply with "Against it" figuring any questions arising about that would be addressed in the guild itself for discussion). She said that they are like a family in the guild and are just overprotective because they've had problems in the past apparently. She must have seen how close-minded it seemed to not give me a chance though because she offered me the opportunity to re-apply.

I declined her saying that I understand her and the mods wanting to keep peace within the guild, but it's almost a form of cowardice to just turn away anyone who shows even a hint of differing from the rest of the guild. I mentioned that it's not as if they don't have the ability to ban anyone who causes trouble.

I told her thanks for the offer but "I'll stick with GotGoth? where we aren't afraid of a little confrontation or debate."

I'm no longer upset with what happened because I realise that that guild - or maybe just the mods and owner - are pretty much hypocrites, wanting open mindedness, but not being open to the fact that there are people who have differing opinions. But I just wanted to know what you thought.

Sorry for the lengthyness.

sweatdrop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:45 am
MortSanglant

Ah! I see. I haven't even thought about Halloween yet. >.<

Anywho, I was guild browsing the other day and came upon a guild called Gothic Angels.

I looked at the homepage and saw that it seemed like something akin to this guild. So I filled out the application per the instructions of the owner and sent it in. I like to consider myself a very literate person and someone who can write a good but concise statement for why I would like to be accepted, etc... So I was surprised to get a denial from the guild.

I PM'd the owner because it just bothered me that I wasn't accepted. I mean, you know us here, we're very accepting people and it's a gothic creed - if you will - be open minded and accepting. I just had to know what was the cause.

She first said that I may not have filled out the entire application. And I told her that I'm positive that I filled it out to the fullest extent.

So she responded saying that most likely there was something in my interests that the mods knew would bother the rest of the guild.

I responded simply with, "Talk about close-minded."

She didn't take immediate offense, but was on her toes by now. She asked me if I meant her. I responded that I didn't mean her, but the guild. I found it very close-minded to not even give me a chance because I might be different in my beliefs for things.

She PM'd me back saying it was probably my views on gay marriage and abortion (two questions in the application which I had answered simply with "Against it" figuring any questions arising about that would be addressed in the guild itself for discussion). She said that they are like a family in the guild and are just overprotective because they've had problems in the past apparently. She must have seen how close-minded it seemed to not give me a chance though because she offered me the opportunity to re-apply.

I declined her saying that I understand her and the mods wanting to keep peace within the guild, but it's almost a form of cowardice to just turn away anyone who shows even a hint of differing from the rest of the guild. I mentioned that it's not as if they don't have the ability to ban anyone who causes trouble.

I told her thanks for the offer but "I'll stick with GotGoth? where we aren't afraid of a little confrontation or debate."

I'm no longer upset with what happened because I realise that that guild - or maybe just the mods and owner - are pretty much hypocrites, wanting open mindedness, but not being open to the fact that there are people who have differing opinions. But I just wanted to know what you thought.

Sorry for the lengthyness.

sweatdrop

It sounds like a lot of places really. A lot of guilds like to avoid confrontation before it even occurs because it's easier or safer that way sometimes, and if you just want to talk to a few select people all the time that is perfectly fine I suppose. Guilds like that don't really have as much room to grow and mature with time because they are stuck in a set strick parameter of just accepting other people who think just like them. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it just is. I think it's one of the main reasons a lot of guilds don't grow. If you don't ascribe to someone's exact idea of what "goth" is for example, some places won't accept you for having slight variencies in your definition.
Personally I dread the days where I come online and there are 3-4 spam threads in the main forum, and someone has started a flame war somewhere in the dark recesses of a subforum, but I would rather have to ban a few people then to be afraid to make new friends.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:50 am
I myself might end up being a bit of a hypocrite if my ex ever tried to join the guild. I would not want him to be in my comfort zone and simple deny his request. -_-*  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:54 am
Yeah, I can understand the distaste for having to deal with unruly people, but it's just that denying someone for such differences and assuming that because my opinions differ that I'll be overspoken and rude about mine and cause trouble for the guild is just ridiculous.

It's just a testament to the fact that no matter how open minded some people say they are, they really are pretty closeminded about somethings.

Nah, I wouldn't call that being a hypocrite. That's something other than just differences in opinion. That's something that would make you as the owner uncomfortable.

I might add that I mentioned to her that I'm not one to tell her how to run her own guild.

Just didn't want to seem like I was being pompous and telling her what to do.

sweatdrop

MortSanglant

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:59 am
MortSanglant
Yeah, I can understand the distaste for having to deal with unruly people, but it's just that denying someone for such differences and assuming that because my opinions differ that I'll be overspoken and rude about mine and cause trouble for the guild is just ridiculous.

It's just a testament to the fact that no matter how open minded some people say they are, they really are pretty closeminded about somethings.

Nah, I wouldn't call that being a hypocrite. That's something other than just differences in opinion. That's something that would make you as the owner uncomfortable.

I might add that I mentioned to her that I'm not one to tell her how to run her own guild.

Just didn't want to seem like I was being pompous and telling her what to do.

sweatdrop

Everyone has different degrees of open minded-ness and different comfort levels really. It's really hard for some people to admit that they aren't as open minded as they would like to think they are. Personally you could tell me someone is a transvestite and I'll just look at you like "so?" because of my personal experiences in life. Other people might have the mentality of accepting it, but still be nervous because they've never spent any time with one, and still others might gossip/whisper/make fun of the person because they don't want to understand why a guy would dress up in drag. Not the best illustration in the world, but I think it gets the idea across. Even if you want to accept something in your own mind, sometimes the practical application is a little different than your idealized vision of how things should be.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:04 am
And no, it don't come off as sounding pompous to me. It just sounded like you were a bit indignant because you pride yourself on your literacy and communicative abilities, and wanted to know why you were declined.

My time is quickly dwindling away. *Waves* Have a pleasant day.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:05 am
::waves::

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:20 pm
the pic in my siggy is the one i was talking abou  

Boricuan

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:58 pm
Hello.

A manniqueen of depression with the face of a dead star  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:31 pm
I've noticed recently at the extreme declining of my mental barriers.
The one I put in place to keep my brain's functioning and thoughts, seperate from my personalitie's.

While, that may seem very confusing to some, to others, you know just what I mean.

But, for those who don't, what I mean is this:
I and my brain are like to complete seperate entities within one body. I think in a way that differs from my brain, such as, I try and be extremely nice to people all the time, I try and help out as much as possible, and I generally am a giver. While, as my brain on the other hand, is extremely mean, only focuses on itself, and will not allow me to give out anything unless I get something of equal or greater value in return.

You could simply call it a multi-personality, or my alter-ego. But it is more than that, a lot more.

Anyway, all throughout today, I noticed how my brain was switching through that back and forth. It's like, really hard to keep it from stoppign once it starts.

So, now I am extremely mad at myself, and I am being mean to someone I love, which make me even angrier with myself. So, yeah,
In other words: bad day  

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:45 pm
I think I know what you mean.
I'm sorry to hear you had a bad day. Those obviously are not good.
I hope that gets better.

But now I have to go. I'm being pressured to get off the computer.
So, goodbye if you're still here, Macabre.

I hope at least we die holding hands, for always  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:46 pm
Bye IY.
I'm sorry I'm never in here anymore.....  

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

Drifter_Xwolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:10 pm
hey there any body about  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 ... 2614 2615 2616 2617 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games