Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru a la Deoridhe Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:31 pm
RubyLight
Is The Nibelungenlied and Saga of Volsunngs the same thing? Also, I was going over ritual structure for the blot and I was wondering what would be an acceptable beverage for offering? What would be accpteble to use to sprinkle the beverage?

Similar. Nibelungenlied took serious liberties with characters, but was based on the Volsunngs.

I've used everything from milk & honey, to cheap vodka, to my most expensive whisky. Other people have used coffee. A lot of it is matching the offering ot you and to the god(s) in question.

I always pour, not sprinkle.

Ultraviolett1127
Have you ever had any experiences with Freyja? If so, what was she like with you?

Not so much. Two of my Kindredmates are close to her, though. One of them described her as someone who comes up behind you and whispers in your ear, "You KNOW you want to."

I have no reason to disagree.

Ultraviolett1127
Also, kind of an odd question, but what is your hoff? sweatdrop . I thought I knew what one was, but now I'm not sure.

It's a pile of sea stones in my front yard, at the base of a tree, where I did my landtaking. I make my offerings there. When I leave, I'll return all the stones but one, and carry one forward to go on my next hoff. I like continuity like that (my altar has earth from all the places I've lived).

Ultraviolett1127
EDITED TO ADD:
Are there any books you recommend for the history of the Norse? I feel like I am sorely lacking in my history.

A lot of the anthropology sources for Northern Europe are good, particularly the ones that focus on physical evidence not the writings of contemporaries who have their own agendas.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:44 pm
I came across this article on Skadi in the Pagan Pages online magazine.
http://paganpages.org/content/2009/01/skadi-goddess-of-winter/

Personally, I think they toned down some of her more. . ."harsher" qualities, but it was an interesting article.  

RubyLight

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:51 pm
Is anyone familiar with the practice of refraining from loom crafts during the winter, starting on Mothers' Night? It's something that's tied to Frigga.
I've read about it in my Troth-y chapters...but it doesn't really say when it's acceptable to pick your crafts back up sweatdrop and I was wondering if anyone knew when it is/was acceptable to do so.

Also, how did the Norse view a woman's period?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:15 pm
If it's during Yule, then it makes sense for it to be the twelve days. I don't know anything about that, though.

So far as I know, women's periods weren't an issue for the Norse or Germanic peoples. I'm pretty sure for the Celts as well. And even if it were, we live in an era of pads and tampons; the mess which old practices might have been for is no longer the same.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:20 pm
Deoridhe
If it's during Yule, then it makes sense for it to be the twelve days. I don't know anything about that, though.

So far as I know, women's periods weren't an issue for the Norse or Germanic peoples. I'm pretty sure for the Celts as well. And even if it were, we live in an era of pads and tampons; the mess which old practices might have been for is no longer the same.

Just as a point of reference, the physical mess isn't always the concern with such traditions. Doesn't effect Asatru, but just sayin'.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:11 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Just as a point of reference, the physical mess isn't always the concern with such traditions. Doesn't effect Asatru, but just sayin'.

Very true.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

xXxBerzerkerxXx

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:57 am
Greetings, I have been a follower of the Asatru faith for a few months now, I'm still learning. I'm hoping that i will learn more.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:13 pm
xXxBerzerkerxXx
Greetings, I have been a follower of the Asatru faith for a few months now, I'm still learning. I'm hoping that i will learn more.

Good luck.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

skvllkid

Monarch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:30 pm
Hey Deo, I was recently talking to people about the Asatru faith and the subject came up of it being 'ethnospecific', what are your thoughts on this?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:31 pm
Vailor Kusanagi
Hey Deo, I was recently talking to people about the Asatru faith and the subject came up of it being 'ethnospecific', what are your thoughts on this?

Depends on what they mean.

If they mean, "I think you should have a European who once worshiped these gods when they were popular as an ancestor," then I disagree, but have no problem with you.

If they mean, "If you aren't 100% European you can't worship these gods, but you can be 100% Italian and it still counts," ******** you, your a*****e, racist twit.

...does that make it clear enough? wink  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

skvllkid

Monarch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:39 pm
Haha, indeed it does, and I'm not trying to create a sense
of racism nor am I myself a racist, but it would seem strange
if say a Japanese person would want to embark on the Asatru
path wouldn't it?

I don't know whether this is because I'm used to seeing and reading about European people, namely white people being of Asatru faith.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:46 pm
Vailor Kusanagi
Haha, indeed it does, and I'm not trying to create a sense
of racism nor am I myself a racist, but it would seem strange
if say a Japanese person would want to embark on the Asatru
path wouldn't it?

I don't know whether this is because I'm used to seeing and reading about European people, namely white people being of Asatru faith.

Actually, a lot of aspects of Shinto are similar in feel (I think, speaking as a non-practicioner) to land spirit worship within Asatru and other Norse flavored things. In addition, I always found it odd that the Norse and the Japanese matched in terms of gender of the sun and the moon.

And what if the person were Japanese and Swedish? Is it suddenly less odd, or does all of that non-Eurpeaness just overwhelm in a "one drop" sort of way?

As white people, it is really easy for us to make a lot of assumptions about people based on their experiences and expect to be right. This is called privilege. If you're interested in combating the distortions to reality which your privilege causes, I can give you some links. If you don't.... well honestly I have little patience for that these days.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

skvllkid

Monarch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:30 am
That's a good point, if a person was half Japanese and half Swedish it would be unfair to deny them their right to be apart of any of they're ancestral faiths.

Links you be very helpful if you can provide me with them, ever since the subject was brought up it has intrigued me, and I have been trying to seek out others opinions as well as try to find reading resources on the subject.

I would be very grateful if you could give me the links Deo! =]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:59 pm
Vailor Kusanagi
That's a good point, if a person was half Japanese and half Swedish it would be unfair to deny them their right to be apart of any of they're ancestral faiths.

Links you be very helpful if you can provide me with them, ever since the subject was brought up it has intrigued me, and I have been trying to seek out others opinions as well as try to find reading resources on the subject.

I would be very grateful if you could give me the links Deo! =]

Awesome. I'm always thrilled to pick up someone else in the fight against institutionalized racism.

The Angry Black Woman is awesome. Womanist Musings is decent on everything but trans gendered issues. (Questioning Transphobia can fill in some of the gaps). Feministe is getting quite good at intersectional analysis of multiple discriminations, though the focus remains on women in particular. Bucking the Dominant Paradigm is my rights and theory blog and has links to some of the better sources, though it's a bit out of date and a lot of the feminist blogs suck on non-white, non-cis gendered, non-currently able bodied analysis.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

skvllkid

Monarch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:32 pm
Takk Deo! I shall give them a read tomorrow when my eyes arn't so tired haha.

I'm going to purchase some reading material soon and was wondering what you would recommend reading first, the Poetic Edda, the Prose Edda, or Njalls Saga?

PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff