Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Harry Potter Guild of Gaia
The Hogwarts Monthly! May Issue 2015 [OPEN READ ME] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you ready for the new issue !?
  Yes!!
  I didn't know we had a paper.
  Can I please be a writer !?
View Results

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:42 pm

►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄

Name: December Issue
Issue Number: 3.5
EDITOR
: Aunt Slappy

Table of Contents:
1. Cover Page/ToB
2. News That Spreads Through The Halls
3. Birthdays
4. Member of the Month
5.Potterwatch
6.The Laptop Whimsical Stop
7. Hagrid's Pet
8. Shadows of the Dark Arts
9. Witch Weekly (entertainment)
10. Myths of the Muggle World
11. Happy Holidays
12. Be Active
13. Note from the Editor
14. Thanks to HM Staff

►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:56 pm
►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄►•◄

◘ News That Spreads Through the Hallway ◘

Hello members, students, house elves, and magical beings!
It's almost time to celebrate! It's nearly time to make some noise! It's time to get your jammies ready! This year is HPGoG's SEVEN YEAR ANNIVERSARY! And as you know seven is the most magically powerful number there is, so we are going to have one POWERFUL celebration! So "why" you ask is everyone in pajamas? We're kicking off this event with PAJAMA RAMA! My sources say we'll be starting with some star gazing in the Great Hall! As always, keep an eye on the Entrance Hall for date announcements and other important information!

User Image
oooOO0> Will you be ready? <0OOooo

gaia_gaiagold Caption Contest! gaia_gaiagold
Also, I'm bringing you a special event readers! The founder of this guild, o0Pinkie0o (Pirate Pinkie), loved to have caption contests, and so in the spirit of honoring our guilds history, we here at the monthly are holding a caption contest!!!!

How to Participate:
1. It's a simple caption contest. Look at the picture and come up with a funny phrase or have the characters depicted say things to make the situation humorous. Keep it relatively clean- and appropriate for all ages. What we will be looking for is Originality! So simply copying what someone else has done won't get you the prize.
2. Send your answers in to the HogwartsMonthlyEditor in a PM. You are allowed to send in multiple responses, but try to send them all together in one PM, please.
3. The Deadline for Submissions has been extended to January 5th!!!

Prize?
The winner will be decided by the staff of the Hogwarts Monthly and we will release the image with your caption in next months issue. The prize for this month is your choice between a Captain Clarino or Gift of the Gods

And without further ado I give you... the image!
User Image

By Calliope Wimple

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:57 pm

◘ December Birthdays! ◘

3 – Hyper Nerds Eats Cookies
10 – DownAzzLette
27- kreativeheat

If your birthday is in December but is not listed here, please post it in this thread. Make sure the guild knows of any name changes!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Sagittarius- December 1- 21 and Capricorn-December 22- 31

From you Fellow members of the Guild we would like to wish you a happy birthday, especially to one who always shares a lot of love and is kind with everyone here wink

By Amelia Grey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:03 pm

◘ Witch of the Month! ◘

The honor for being witch of the month goes to Vivacious-Red! Now Viv-red or Calliope Wimple (her rp name) Got selected as the honorary member this time around for her dedication in everything she does for this guild. She takes her time and adds so much passion to her work throughout the guild, she has amazing ideas, and is always posting about to keep the crickets from chirping in the halls. She also has now recently been appointed newest member of our amazing crew! And I have had the great opportunity to sit down with her and ask her a devious list of questions, which she, by the way, answered with a lot of enthusiasm....Interview below:

User Image

Q: Have you read all the books? How many times?
A:
Well, I started out listening to them on audio books as a kid, so funnily enough I'm not sure if I've ever actually read books 1-4 with my own two eyes and yet I can recite large chunks of all the books from memory. I listen to them quite a lot. User Image (I did read Beedle the Bard earlier this year and LOVED them!)

Q: Which is your favorite?
A:
gonk The ones with words... Okay... Half Blood Prince.

Q: Have you seen any of the movies based on the books, if so which ones?
A:
I saw 1-4 (all opening nights) and then boycotted the rest because I strongly disagreed with Michael Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore... You can put in that weird thing with Hermione Howling, you can also make her yule ball dress pink (barely), but Dumbledore does NOT yell at Harry! For one thing, he doesn't need too, he can get much better results with disappointment. --- oh dear.. I seem to of worked myself into a tangent... sweatdrop

Q: Which is your favorite of those?
A:
I'd have to say the 2nd one. It was so good that made me like that book even better than I had before. (And just because I boycotted doesn't mean that I think they're total poop, there were some AMAZING cast choices, I just weep when Dumbledore isn't portrayed how I wanted him to be, it's kind of like finding out Santa Clause isn't real... )

Q: What is your favorite book or author? Besides Harry/J.K.?
A:
Oh- David Sedaris. Love him, although I mostly listen to him too... I swear I know how to read! It's just easier to listen and have hands free to work on projects... sweatdrop

Q: Do you have a favorite character from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books? Who is it?
A:
I'd have to say my three favorite characters are Dobby, Neville, and Luna in that order. I think I cried harder for Dobby than Fred and Sirius put together... But I love them because they are unconditionally devoted to good, and I think they've endured the brunt of both the good side and the bad side and yet they remain unwavering their devotion. emotion_bigheart

Q: How did you find out about Gaia?
A:
Well, seven years ago my sister said that I should get an account on gaia because she'd found this really neat Harry Potter guild, and so I did.

Q: What's your favorite thing to do on Gaia? Outside of HPGoG?
A:
Definitely messing with my avi. xd

Q: Are you in any other guilds? Are you as active in those?
A:
Technically yes I am, but I'm not active at all in either of them.

Q: How often would you say you are on Gaia? In the HPGoG?
A:
Everyday. When I go on Gaia, I go on HPGoG, they're inseparable.

Q: Was Hufflepuff your first choice for House? Why or why not?
A:
No, It wasn't, for a while I had always wanted to be in Ravenclaw, but honestly when I got to the sorting, I just decided I'd go wherever I got sorted. Now of course, some thought will go through my mind and I'll think to myself, "man, I'm such a Hufflepuff" User Image

Q: I've noticed that you joined on Thursday, Apr 23, 2011 8:04 pm. How's your experience been in the guild so far? Why do you think that it is?
A:
Well, this is my third time joining the guild, and my first time actually making it to being sorted. It's been a really great experience, I've found that my life as a college student is much better suited to staying an active member than it was in high school, and I'm very glad for that fact.

Q: What do you think about being deemed the Member of the Month?
A:
(Cue Smiley Montage) Quite literally... I saw I had a new message, User Image then was reading eek then was absorbing User Image then was starry-eyed with awe and gratitude emotion_kirakira Thank you so much!

Q: Lastly, is there anything else you want to tell the members of the guild?
A:
Be Active, Stay Active, and always wear earmuffs while studying, lest a wrackspurt wriggle in and fuzzify your brain.

If you want to become member of the month like Vivacious-Red? Approval by Heads, Help out, Be active, Get noticed!

By Amelia Grey

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:05 pm

◘ PotterWatch ◘

Every month we plan to update our readers on events that are occuring on Pottermore, our information comes form the Pottermore Insider, and any other news locations that are credible.
Currently on Pottermore Insider, they have displayed beta-user submitted artwork for every chapter in book one and revealed. So far we have chapters one- three: here are some of the favorites from HM crew

Chapter One, The Boy who lived

Chapter Two, The Vanishing Glass.
Chapter Three, The Letters from No One

and if you would like to see more be sure to click on the following link Pottermore ArtWork

By Amelia Grey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:05 pm

◘ The Laptop Whimsical Stop ◘

Welcome to The Laptop Whimsical Stop! One of the things we love about Harry Potter is the possibilities that the magical world opens up to us, it defies all rules of physics and lets our imaginations run wild. Perhaps due to overexposure, many of us have become a bit desensitized to the wonders of the internet, and the creativity of us mere mortals. Often times, there is is just so much on the internet to be seen that the truly inspired ideas can get lost in the shuffle. So every month I shall bring you videos, stories, or images that demonstrate the unique creative opportunities afforded to us by technology. It is my hope that they will brighten your outlook, inspire you to use your imagination, make you glad to be a human being, or just that they will make you smile.

For the first installment of The Laptop Whimsical Stop, I bring you the "Animator vs. Animation" series. It consists of three videos, where the animator tries to reign in the very determined stick figure. Enjoy!

Animator vs. Animation
Animator vs. Animation II
Animator vs. Animation III

By Calliope Wimple

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:06 pm

◘ Hagrid's Pet ◘

Today on Hagrid's Pet we will be discussing the fascinating creature: The Banshee

The banshee is a feminine spirit in Irish mythology, usually seen as an omen of death and a messenger from the Otherworld. In Irish legend, a banshee is a fairy woman
who begins to wail if someone is about to die. Similar creatures are also found in Welsh, Norse and American
folklore. The aos sí ("tumulus folk") are variously believed to be the survivals of pre-Christian Gaelic deities, spirits of nature, or the ancestors.
Sightings of Banshees have been reported as recently as 1948.The Banshee is a Dark creature with the appearance of a woman with floor length black hair, and a skeletal
green tinged face. The Bandon Banshee was supposedly defeated by Gilderoy Lockhart, which he describes in his book Break with a Banshee;
though he admits to stealing credit for his books. The only thing known about the actual witch who defeated the Bandon Banshee was that she had a hairy chin.
The only known way to stop a banshee is to break its neck when it closes its eyes to scream, because every other part of its body is as tough as steel.
A notable power of a banshee is a high-pitched supersonic scream that can kill anyone. A banshee's fatal scream is very similar (if not the same) to a fully grown Mandrake's scream, which is also fatal.

By Queen Lana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:08 pm

◘ Shadows of the Dark Arts ◘

Hello everyone this is Yami Enzeru from Hufflepuff House speaking.

First I'd love to start off by saying that last month was the grand release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2! I know what I want for Christmas. Preferably both parts at the same time. Now onto the main topic.
The Dark Arts have been around since the very early generations dating all the way back to the Salem Witch Hunts. Muggles back then believed that witches and wizards worked for the devil and did his bidding. As well all know that's a lot of rubbish and many innocent lives were taken. Those were dark times indeed for our kind, but we have progressed from that. We now interact with Muggles, marry Muggles, and even have children with Muggles. Anyone can perform the Dark Arts if they haven an evil enough heart. Anyone can become a Dark witch or wizard, so even though the Dark Lord is gone it's still out there today. Mostly purebloods who think that they are better then everyone else, and have a pure hatred for Muggles and Muggle-borns. With that in mind keep a watchful eye out on anyone who would do you harm and remember your counter-curses and defensive spells taught in my class, Defense Against the Dark Arts. This is again Yami Enzeru, 3rd year from Hufflepuff saying Konnichiwa and Sayōnara! That's hello and good bye for those that don't speak Japanese.
--Yami Enzeru, Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor, 3rd Year Student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Hufflepuff House

By Yami Enzeru

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:10 pm

◘ Witch Weeky ◘

Today in our entertainment page we will show you hilarious iages to make your day with criteria that is commonly known to the young gerneration today, ENJOY!

Disclaimer: (we are not responsible for your shortness of breath or urge to use the restroom)

Image One:

Image Two:

User Image
Image Three:

User Image

Video One: MUST WATCH!

HARRY POTTER IN 99 SECONDS

By HM Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:11 pm

◘ Myths of the Muggle World ◘

As witches and wizards we sometimes fail to grasp the concepts and lifestyles of muggles, but a good way to understand our fellow human beings is to learn their mythological stories, this is one that originated in Latin countries, and here is a story i found on muggle newspaper, and no moving pictures how do they manage emotion_dealwithit

A man living north of San Antonio says he has quite the animal sitting in his freezer -- and it may be a mythical chupacabra.
Jerry Ayer, a teacher at the Blanco Taxidermy School in Blanco, Texas, told TV station KSAT that he's never seen anything like it.
"Different, that’s for sure, very interesting," said Ayer.
The find comes amid a number of strange sightings in the area. The animal is gray in color with leathery, hairless skin and large fangs.
"The front legs seem to be a little bit longer than a typical coyote, very irregular and never seen any that have legs like that," said Ayer.
Similar animals have been spotted across the country and deep in South America.
"I don’t know what to call it, I'll just call it a chupacabra too," Ayer told KSAT.
He said he came across the animal because a former student of his didn't know what it was either and sought advice.
"It got into his cousin's barn and they thought maybe it was a rodent tearing things up, and they had no idea since they’ve never seen it," said Ayer. "He got out some poison, and this is what they got the very next day."
Ayer said he plans to preserve the animal with taxidermy. He also said he hopes a local museum will take it for display so everyone can marvel at the strange animal.
"It’s definitely something I don’t want to throw away,” said Ayer. “I think it will be an interesting mount and a tremendous conversation piece."
The chupacabra myth began not long ago in the 1990s when eyewitnesses claimed to have seen it in Puerto Rico. Farmers there said sheep were found with puncture wounds and were drained of blood. A total of 150 farm animals were reportedly killed by the beast. Since then, sightings have been reported from Chile to Maine.
The mythical beast also found its way into popular culture and television. CNN's Ed Lavandera called the chupacabra the "bigfoot of Latino culture." The animal gets its name from Spanish, chupacabra literally means "goat sucker."
Finds like the one in Blanco have appeared on the History Channel's "Monster Quest," they were subsequently determined to be dogs or coyotes.
Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.

By Amelia Grey

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:12 pm

◘ Happy Holidays ◘

It is the month of December and all from the HM Staff would like to wish you a politically correct Happy Holidays, but for me that is so boring SO! a special dedication to every holiday in December!
(We are not a religious guild and support every members beliefs we are not biased and share love to all)
For the Politically Correct :

For Those who Celebrate Christmas:
For Those who celebrate Christmas Religiously:
For Those who Celebrate Hanukkah:
For Those who celebrate Kwanzaa
For Everyone:
Have a Wonderful December

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:12 pm

◘ Be Active ◘

Last Hogwarts Monthly the Editor dedicated her Comments solely on telling fellow members to be a little more active, we find this as an important issue and we understand everyone has hectic Real lives to worry about, but if you ever have a spare second and are bored to death log onto your Gaia account and head here...... ninja Maybe it is too much to ask, but this guild has amazing members who surprisingly have a lot in common besides Harry Potter, there are always so much to do, and events to enjoy, and when classes are in session even more fun! This is also for new member if you ever have difficulties knowing what to do make a topic in Heard it in the Hallways you can meet great people and talk about everything! With one more opportunity to spread the message:

User Image

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:13 pm

◘ Thoughts from the one who Edits ◘

Hey everyone! Your monthly editor here!
and i am happy to give you all, a may i say nice looking Hogwarts Monthly for December!
Now there is one word that sums up the new style for the HM: PICTURES!
Why so many images you may ask.....well to start off I did not imagine it would be this filled with images, but one thing is for sure there will be a few good amount of images!
Why though? Because images attract attention if you see a picture you tend to take the time to look at it, and if the message isn't clear then you tend to read the text that surrounds any image, and vice versa. sometimes too much text is no fun and an image here and there sends the message a little better!
Now on other news staff members! are needed for the HM if you have any ideas or something you want to add criticize me go right ahead i can take it, everything can be taken in, in a positive way to better myself and the HM so send your feedback Here ----> The Editor's Office
but i hope you enjoyed this month's monthly and expect more to come!
Have a Great December!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:23 pm

◘ HM Staff ◘

Thanks to our HM staff for giving us an awesome December Issue!

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Calliope Wimple, Amelia Grey, Lana, Yami Enzeru

If you have any great ideas and would like to join the crew, post in the Editor's Office

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas