Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

Collowrath

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:31 pm
Sophist
Fiddlers Green
Sophist
You're Argentinian? biggrin

Nope.
However, in Argentina, there are several communities that are primarily of German stock, a large number of whom immigrated there after WW2. Thus, we have people who are to most appearances, very Caucasian, yet many have joined with the greater community of Argentina, giving them a cultural outlook similar to the norm there.
As a mechanism for reconciling my physical appearance with my apparent cultural positions (which often contrast with that of my fellow born-Americans in my current area), it was suggested, and accepted that I was obviously Argentinian, the descendant of German immigrants. I have three internal reactions to this.
I am somewhat flattered that I "obviously" don't belong to group that is largely seen as negative or undesirable. surprised
I am irked that a group I am a part of is seen so unpleasantly. confused
However, in the end, I am just amused by the whole situation. rofl

So you're German-Argentinian. Were you born there? I reckon there are also many Italians and Jews under that same situation, and possibly more that I'm forgetting. I didn't know that those populations were disliked, however.

Nono, he's not saying he's German-Argentinian. He's saying that because he's "white" but has cultural positions that are at odds with American whites, but rather more like Latinos, they assumed he was German-Argentinian.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:35 pm
Collowrath
Sophist
Fiddlers Green
Sophist
You're Argentinian? biggrin

Nope.
However, in Argentina, there are several communities that are primarily of German stock, a large number of whom immigrated there after WW2. Thus, we have people who are to most appearances, very Caucasian, yet many have joined with the greater community of Argentina, giving them a cultural outlook similar to the norm there.
As a mechanism for reconciling my physical appearance with my apparent cultural positions (which often contrast with that of my fellow born-Americans in my current area), it was suggested, and accepted that I was obviously Argentinian, the descendant of German immigrants. I have three internal reactions to this.
I am somewhat flattered that I "obviously" don't belong to group that is largely seen as negative or undesirable. surprised
I am irked that a group I am a part of is seen so unpleasantly. confused
However, in the end, I am just amused by the whole situation. rofl

So you're German-Argentinian. Were you born there? I reckon there are also many Italians and Jews under that same situation, and possibly more that I'm forgetting. I didn't know that those populations were disliked, however.

Nono, he's not saying he's German-Argentinian. He's saying that because he's "white" but has cultural positions that are at odds with American whites, but rather more like Latinos, they assumed he was German-Argentinian.

OH. sweatdrop My mistake, sorry about that.  

Bastemhet

Maze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:37 pm
I don't get my supervisors.

I was given an Action Plan the other day.

It said "We have done this and this to no avail to improve the stats of [me]."

Also "Two weeks from now, there'll be an improvement."

Don't action plans generally also describe the action taken (or to be taken, either by me or my supervisor in the form of more coaching) to improve the situation?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:43 pm
Maze

Don't action plans generally also describe the action taken (or to be taken, either by me or my supervisor in the form of more coaching) to improve the situation?
Only when said supervisors are actually trying to support your success.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:46 pm
TeaDidikai
Maze

I love having a one-year-contract.

They, I get the impression, do so with less enthusiasm, though, yes..

But getting me to quit for the 'greater good' doesn't really strike me as a sensible thing to agree to, so, oh, well.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:47 pm
Maze
TeaDidikai
Maze

But getting me to quit for the 'greater good' doesn't really strike me as a sensible thing to agree to, so, oh, well.
Best of luck Hun.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:50 pm
TeaDidikai
Maze
TeaDidikai
Maze

Best of luck Hun.

Thanks. I can probably use some of that.

But what I can use more right now is sleep.

Night all. 3nodding

Note to self: drop by more often.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:13 pm
Thanks for fielding that Collowrath. surprised

Sophist
OH. sweatdrop My mistake, sorry about that.

No worries, in retrospect, my answer was not the most succinct. 3nodding

Take care Maze.
I hope things get better.

My entire state is largely Work-at-Will contracts. Surprise surprise, we have massive unemployment and ridiculous turn-over rates. Companies viewing their pay-roll budget as a soft budget can lead to dangerous speculation.  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:17 pm
Maze

Note to self: drop by more often.
This.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:18 pm
Fiddlers Green
Thanks for fielding that Collowrath. surprised

3nodding  

Collowrath

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:23 pm
Fiddlers Green
Celeblin Galadeneryn
This.

My best friend often has her hands wrist deep in my hair and I won't care. Random people going for my braid and saying "Oh, is the colour natural?" just raises my hackles.

It probably has to do with similar but more negative experiences that demisara had. As a child people would touch my sister and my hair and ask my Mother if she dyed our hair. At which point Mom would grab us away from them, rather insulted at someone suggesting that she would put chemicals in the hair of her three and five year old daughters.

The weirdest thing is when people smell my hair. I mean yeah, I use really good organic shampoos, but seriously people stop being fecking weird. gonk sweatdrop

Okay, that is something else I aught address...
If someone snifs me, I take it as a direct come-on. That is possibly the only thing that might be possibly considered subtle that I pick up on. And it sets of every one of my "this person is gauging me as a perspective mate" alarms.
Mind you, my usual reaction is to lock up and become about as reactive as an iron ingot, but I do register it.
Never, ever thought of it that way. eek I just admittedly use very fragrant shampoo. >.>

Quote:
Quote:
I always occupied sort of a weird space as a child. It was hard to identify as a Canadian living among so many people, both family and neighbours, who's primary home culture was one of a different country. And I could tell a difference between "Canadian-Canadians" and "Immigrant-Canadians." It's probably one of the reasons why I lash out at people who think I'm American because it took me so long to find a Canadian identity. I literally didn't even speak like other people, and was apparently more fluent in modern Greek than English at one point when I was about three because of how much time I spent across the street with the neighbour's little girl

okay, I'm about to say something very ignorant...
Aren't the majority of Canadians, like people of the U.S., immigrants or the descendants there of?
Pretty much.

However, my father's family have been in the New World for almost as long as it's been discovered by Europe. I think they participated in every war since the Conquest of Canada. I live in a city where you have a lot of recent immigrants, but also a lot of families like my fathers, who've been here for five or more generations, and as I said, you can tell the difference. It was even in my own house, since my father didn't grow up in the same circumstance as my mother, and since I was never as close with my father's family, he, and the way he did things was always a little odd to me.

I got into a lot of culture shock as a child. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the universal cure for the common cold (for young and old I might add) was not hot tea with lemon, honey, and two fingers of whiskey to knock you right out, as my grandmother swore by.

It's also different by region. My grandmother would have undoubtedly fit in better were she in, say, Newfoundland or Nova Scotia than Ontario.

Quote:
Other than that, I do not savour the feeling of being a foreigner in my own home-nation either. I have a habit of abusing those assumptions at times, when I am feeling spiteful or petty, but it does get old.
It's par for the course with me. Then again, I really only "became" Canadian, after Pierre Elliot Trudeau taught be to be one. He's simultaneously the most beloved and most hated Prime Minister ever. This basically translates to I either come off as extremely Canadian or some fruity liberal who should have been born in the Maritimes.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:45 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Never, ever thought of it that way. eek I just admittedly use very fragrant shampoo. >.>

I'm a pretty feral person, so it may just be me.

Quote:
Pretty much.

However, my father's family have been in the New World for almost as long as it's been discovered by Europe. I think they participated in every war since the Conquest of Canada. I live in a city where you have a lot of recent immigrants, but also a lot of families like my fathers, who've been here for five or more generations, and as I said, you can tell the difference. It was even in my own house, since my father didn't grow up in the same circumstance as my mother, and since I was never as close with my father's family, he, and the way he did things was always a little odd to me.

Ah, I can see how that works, from some similar experiences I believe.

Quote:
I got into a lot of culture shock as a child. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the universal cure for the common cold (for young and old I might add) was not hot tea with lemon, honey, and two fingers of whiskey to knock you right out, as my grandmother swore by.

You mean a Hot Toddy isn't universal?
eek

Quote:
It's also different by region. My grandmother would have undoubtedly fit in better were she in, say, Newfoundland or Nova Scotia than Ontario.

So about as homogenized as the U.S., gotcha.

Quote:
It's par for the course with me. Then again, I really only "became" Canadian, after Pierre Elliot Trudeau taught be to be one. He's simultaneously the most beloved and most hated Prime Minister ever. This basically translates to I either come off as extremely Canadian or some fruity liberal who should have been born in the Maritimes.

Maritimes?  

Fiddlers Green

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:06 pm
Fiddlers Green
Quote:

You mean a Hot Toddy isn't universal?
eek
I KNOW.

Quote:
Quote:

Maritimes?
Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick. The Maritimes are basically the east coast.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:43 pm

happy: i only have one more midterm to go before i get a break
crappy: i work my butt of studying for my linguistics midterm even help my friend understand the concepts so she does good then i get a really crappy mark now i feel stupid.
got nothing else to say but do feel better now!  

mirawin

5,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Full closet 200
  • Healer 50

Maze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:48 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Fiddlers Green
Celeblin Galadeneryn
The weirdest thing is when people smell my hair. I mean yeah, I use really good organic shampoos, but seriously people stop being fecking weird. gonk sweatdrop

Okay, that is something else I aught address...
If someone snifs me, I take it as a direct come-on. That is possibly the only thing that might be possibly considered subtle that I pick up on. And it sets of every one of my "this person is gauging me as a perspective mate" alarms.
Mind you, my usual reaction is to lock up and become about as reactive as an iron ingot, but I do register it.

I sniff people.

Sort of.

I mean, I don't go up to them and SNIFF, but when I'm in their neighbourhood, and they're someone I'm meeting for the first time, I do tend to try and make myself aware of the scent that goes with that person.

And while I cannot say whether I tend to subconsciously reject people whose smell I do not like or something, but I have noticed a certain tendency among those I do call friends.

I do not mind their scents.

A pleasant scent is part of my 'list of requirements for potential boyfriends', but I don't currently have 'room' for 'em.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games