Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
Movies and TV shows! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 89 90 91 92 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:49 pm
GamerChik240
Kaori Kapoigne
It was already ruined for me when it was explained that the author was a racist. I can never watch the Disney movie again with king Louie without frowning at Disney for being so mean. crying

and how is it racist? king louie...... an orangutang that rules over all the other monkies, he wants to move on and become a man but he can't because he's a monky... so he thinnks if he has fire the humans will accept him too. plus he's a pretty cool swinger XD (( wheres the racism in that? ))
Is that sarcasm? sweatdrop

All the animals speak with a normal voice except for the monkeys, who speak in jive....  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:22 pm
the vultures speak like the beatles, Shere Kan is a british royalty lilt to it... and @ Cal I have no idea if that supose to mean something to me?

and what bad about jive? I thought it made them look more fun loving and carefree as oppose to the tigers who thinks he should rule the jungle?
and no I'm not being saracastic  

GamerChik240

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:10 pm
GamerChik240
the vultures speak like the beatles, Shere Kan is a british royalty lilt to it... and @ Cal I have no idea if that supose to mean something to me?

and what bad about jive? I thought it made them look more fun loving and carefree as oppose to the tigers who thinks he should rule the jungle?

Rudyard Kipling was indeed a racist. He's the one that wrote the actual book.

As far as it goes, though, I have to agree with GamerChik on this matter. The accents were all spread around and there were lots of white people that spoke in the same way as King Louie (an intentional shot at Louie Armstrong). It was just aimed at being swinger-speak. As far as I know it, I think King Louie was voiced by a white guy...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:19 pm
A lot of Disney movies are secretly ******** up in the head, so when I heard that movie, eh.

Speaking of Watchmen, I saw the movie myself. Haven't read the comic yet because all my friends have a seriously long waiting list of other friends wanting to borrow it... >w> But I thought the movie was great, even despite the things I knew they left out or dumbed down. The director's cut is supposed to be a good 4 hours, though. biggrin But yeah, great movie, I'ma go see it again with my dad biggrin  

Necro Fusion

Commissar Hark

Dangerous Smoker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:00 pm
Saw Watchmen today, awesome! I loved Rorschach's character, For a minute there I swore that he was being voiced by David Hayter. Rumor has it that he is an extra in the bar scene somewhere. I think it's a distinct possibility, considering his ties with the film.

Likewise, I was a little bummed that they cut the aliens part, with Viedt using Dr. Manhattan's power instead, and The removal of the black freighter, oh well. It's going into the extended edition dvd, or so I'm told.

-Xenos, to the rescue!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:13 pm
Hark, you're pretty daft posting that spoiler oh so blatantly.. rolleyes  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Commissar Hark

Dangerous Smoker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:57 am
Kaori Kapoigne
Hark, you're pretty daft posting that spoiler oh so blatantly.. rolleyes

Oops, my bad. Ruining things for others is a hobby of mine. But I'm quite sure I wasn't the first one to spoil that part in this thread... Damn! Outdone again!  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:32 pm
*heavy sigh*
For my Film class, I've been watching a lot of movies and writing in depth critiques of them. I just got done watching Easy Rider. Now, I've heard this touted as a phenomenal piece of film work. I...ugh. I disliked it. The characters, while believable, were impossible to relate to. However, the reason on that might be that I'm living in the 21st century while this movie was made in 1969. All the same, the characters are hard to relate with. The plot is paperthin and the underlying themes of individual freedom and mass disapproval of people that exist slightly beyond the norm, while there, are shallow and develop only through blatantly obvious points and character dialogue.

The editing makes my eyes hurt. The screen cuts are quick and transition poorly. As for that same sort of business, the Acid scene is overly long and contributes very little. Yeah, the guys are stoners. Yeah, the whores are...well, whores. But having them trip out on acid for five minutes of a ninety minute film is overkill.  

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:57 pm
Well, I feel a bit like an a**.

Watching through Easy Rider the second time, it's not quite so bad as I originally felt.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:17 pm
Some movies age well with time, others don't. Though the expectations one has before seeing a movie can also do a lot to shape a final verdict. Easy Rider might not be a great movie, despite the stellar cast, but it is a classic nonetheless, if only for the barriers it broke with some of the stuff handled there.

And it's another one of those vague studies of the American Dream, deep stuff man. 3nodding  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:24 pm
Lt. Brookman
Some movies age well with time, others don't. Though the expectations one has before seeing a movie can also do a lot to shape a final verdict. Easy Rider might not be a great movie, despite the stellar cast, but it is a classic nonetheless, if only for the barriers it broke with some of the stuff handled there.

And it's another one of those vague studies of the American Dream, deep stuff man. 3nodding

Yeah. As I'm poring over it again, there are some things really jumping out to inform the themes I had already spotted (perversion of the 'American Dream,' changing times, etc.).

Two great quotes:
"This used to be a hell of a good country."
and
"If God did not exist, it be necessary to invent him."  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:27 pm
Caleidah
Lt. Brookman

Yeah. As I'm poring over it again, there are some things really jumping out to inform the themes I had already spotted (perversion of the 'American Dream,' changing times, etc.).

Two great quotes:
"This used to be a hell of a good country."
and
"If God did not exist, it be necessary to invent him."
"We're rich, Wyatt. We did it, man"

"We blew it."  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:32 pm
Caleidah
GamerChik240

Rudyard Kipling was indeed a racist. He's the one that wrote the actual book.

As far as it goes, though, I have to agree with GamerChik on this matter. The accents were all spread around and there were lots of white people that spoke in the same way as King Louie (an intentional shot at Louie Armstrong). It was just aimed at being swinger-speak. As far as I know it, I think King Louie was voiced by a white guy...
Politely put black people are often compared to monkeys amongst racists. All animals in the movie speak with an english accent or something along those lines. Louie and his cohorts speak jive, something usually associated with black people.

Seeing as this movie is from the good old racist 50's I think that Disney just wanted to pay homage to Kipling and his notions of the so-called "White Man's Burden" talk2hand  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:53 pm
Street Kings, starring Keanu Reeves.

Still not done watching it, but thus far it's pretty increidble. Keanu plays a bad cop who does some stupid s**t in the beginning and ends up hunting for the killers of a former partner, knowing that finding them means the end of his career.

Good stuff.  

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:04 pm
It's worth posting it twice.

Street Kings. Great goddamned movie.  
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 89 90 91 92 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games