Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Film Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:33 pm
Sunshine is crap.

Tried to be deep and intellectual. Failed. Characters are caricatures. Symbollism largely meaningless, etc.  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Foetus In Fetu
Sunshine is crap.

Tried to be deep and intellectual. Failed. Characters are caricatures. Symbollism largely meaningless, etc.

It started out fine, and caricatures don't exempt a film from being good or effective.

It was disappointing because of the downhill trend, but it started out fine. I would simply have liked an improving rather than a collapsing line of progress.

Invictus_88
Captain

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:50 pm
Invictus_88
Foetus In Fetu
Sunshine is crap.

It started out fine, and caricatures don't exempt a film from being good or effective.

They do tend to when the premise of the film itself ostensibly is the observation of character interactions under a particular set of circumstances.

And I don't know that it started out fine. I immediately had to suspend disbelief actively for the premise, and I did that on the understanding that this would be paid off with either a thrilling plot or commentary on the nature of humanity, which never happened. I totally agree that it appeared like that was going to happen, and it could have happened - but it didn't.

Invictus_88
It was disappointing because of the downhill trend, but it started out fine. I would simply have liked an improving rather than a collapsing line of progress.

It wasn't unwatchable, but I wouldn't watch it again. I did enjoy it, but for instance I felt that a lot of the shot construction and visuals were for the sake of being pretty, characters existed just to be and plot was for plot's sake - which would have been fine, but it alluded to a deeper meaning when there was none.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:08 am
Foetus In Fetu
Invictus_88
Foetus In Fetu
Sunshine is crap.

They do tend to when the premise of the film itself ostensibly is the observation of character interactions under a particular set of circumstances.

And I don't know that it started out fine. I immediately had to suspend disbelief actively for the premise, and I did that on the understanding that this would be paid off with either a thrilling plot or commentary on the nature of humanity, which never happened. I totally agree that it appeared like that was going to happen, and it could have happened - but it didn't.

Invictus_88

It wasn't unwatchable, but I wouldn't watch it again. I did enjoy it, but for instance I felt that a lot of the shot construction and visuals were for the sake of being pretty, characters existed just to be and plot was for plot's sake - which would have been fine, but it alluded to a deeper meaning when there was none.

I didn't know what their own premise was, I was just assuming from the philosophically-leaning trailer I saw. So, if I was wrong then fair enough.

I'd not watch it again either, I'd still find myself wishing for more, but this time I'd not even have the hope that it might fulfil my wishes. It was very pretty, though.

Invictus_88
Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:01 am
Death in Venice is probably my favourite film ever.

Okay it's not strictly speaking a British film, but it does star Dirk Bogarde.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:20 pm
Boolean Julian

Seriously, watch this and weep.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Prince Starchild

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:16 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

St. Trinians is the best mainstream British film I've seen for a while. Sure it might be a media machine the way Hollywood movies are, but it's done in a British way and is more tasteful for it. Plus Stephen Fry gets high in it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:41 am
I say that the Full Monty or 28 days later is awesome  

killerclownmeat

6,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200

Behatzlacha-S

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:05 am
St. Trinians is the best mainstream British film I've seen for a while. Sure it might be a media machine the way Hollywood movies are, but it's done in a British way and is more tasteful for it. Plus Stephen Fry gets high in it.

Wait...
THE Stephen Fry?
And Russell Brand?
With hot teenage girls?
Must see this film.

On another note:
Twilight Debate now open.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:05 pm
Behatzlacha-S
Twilight Debate now open.
It isnt British is it?  

xXx White Lily xXx

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:29 pm
What'd the Harry Potter film count as?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:00 pm
Seeing that it was shot in Pinewood studios I'm gonna put 'Full Metal Jacket'  

Veterus

Unforgiving Elder

7,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:46 pm
Invictus_88
What'd the Harry Potter film count as?

There's a Harry Potter thread anyway.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:00 pm
The Italian Job!  

Behatzlacha-S

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:58 pm
Boolean Julian
Boolean Julian

Seriously, watch this and weep.

I wept.

"This video has been removed due to terms of use violation."

Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out