Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
--- C H A T B O X --- Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 ... 2614 2615 2616 2617 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:41 pm
Ascher
zz1000zz

Aww. Poor Ascher!

*pokes repeatedly*

Does that help?

*Is already snoring on the couch*

Goodnight! ^_^

Goodnight Mr. Sleepypants!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:21 pm
*Note to self: Never Skip two nights in a row again*  

lurichan
Vice Captain

ieatyourtclol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:24 pm
lurichan
*Note to self: Never Skip two nights in a row again*

It isn't advised.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:24 pm
Just a bit to read, eh?  

zz1000zz
Crew

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:27 pm
Just a bit... I've been trying to read since about 11:30, though eating ice cream and my cat trying to get said ice cream did slow down my progress for the first half hour or so... I'm on the sub-forums...finally..........*thuds*  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:29 pm
zz1000zz
Just a bit to read, eh?

The whole selfish comment. What about it. I need not be selfish in order to life. I live as of now for others. Sure I want things, I am willing to share those things.  

ieatyourtclol

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:34 pm
celebie.exe
zz1000zz
Just a bit to read, eh?

The whole selfish comment. What about it. I need not be selfish in order to life. I live as of now for others. Sure I want things, I am willing to share those things.

The key part of your post was this.

Quote:
I live as of now for others.

If you take this stance, i suppose you are not living for yourself. However, if you live entirely for others, you cease to be meaningful. You, as an individual no longer have any purpose. Yes, you could argue you are not being selfish. However, if you live entirely for others, suicide could easily become the appropriate course of action. By being completely selfless, you have no say in whether you live or die.

So sure, you can live without being selfish. However, you lose all meaning if you do.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:44 pm
zz1000zz
celebie.exe
zz1000zz
Just a bit to read, eh?

Quote:

If you take this stance, i suppose you are not living for yourself. However, if you live entirely for others, you cease to be meaningful. You, as an individual no longer have any purpose. Yes, you could argue you are not being selfish. However, if you live entirely for others, suicide could easily become the appropriate course of action. By being completely selfless, you have no say in whether you live or die.

So sure, you can live without being selfish. However, you lose all meaning if you do.

0o; It's a carefully constructed verbal trap that I'm too tired to deconstruct at the moment.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:48 pm
sweatdrop The music and art/poetry/ect are just too much for me right now... and I'm too tired to continue much longer.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:54 pm
Sensative person+ cynical person= bad combination.

ZZ please don't attack celebie.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:54 pm
lurichan
zz1000zz
celebie.exe
zz1000zz
Just a bit to read, eh?

Quote:

0o; It's a carefully constructed verbal trap that I'm too tired to deconstruct at the moment.

Verbal trap? Only in that i could have made it simpler. The basic premise is quite true. In fact, i think i will rephrase it.

A certain degree of selfishness is required for a human to live as we know it. This is because selfishness is required both for survival, and for self awareness. The first is obvious, but the second may not be. If one is self aware, his/her natural survival instincts will take the form of selfishness. To this degree, there is nothing wrong with being selfish. It is required to survive, as are instincts in an animal.

If instead, one decided to live entirely for something else, (s)he sacrifices these survival instincts. Instead, you replace the instincts, or selfishness, with something else. Perhaps it is loyalty to a god, person or cause. No matter to what you devote yourself, you are giving up a core part of yourself to something else. By sacrificing your survival instincts, your selfishness, you give up the part of yourself that makes you live. While you may find a replacement, you will still have given up an essential part of you, namely your individuality.

I am not sure it would be possible to truly lose all selfishness, but if you did you would not truly be human. Of course, this is in part a matter of semantics, as survival instincts are only selfish in the most literal interpretations.

Woah, i ramble too much.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:00 am
zz1000zz
celebie.exe
zz1000zz
Just a bit to read, eh?

Quote:

It is 3am give me a break. I have been argueing with you for the last 5 hours. I am tired. You win. I am incoherant.  

ieatyourtclol

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:03 am
celebie.exe
It is 3am give me a break. I have been argueing with you for the last 5 hours. I am tired. You win. I am incoherant.

Heh. Sorry about that. I just like to think about things, and it can help to talk to other people while thinking.

And sometimes i think i am always incoherent. Maybe i am, but i am just so confusing people do not realize it?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:03 am
Hmm, one subforum left, but the only things keeping my eyes open are sheer willpower and music playing.....................I think I'll zonk now.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:06 am
lurichan
Sensative person+ cynical person= bad combination.

ZZ please don't attack celebie.

I am not attacking him. Well, i suppose i did a bit in a good-natured way, but nothing i have said was meant to be mean.

If anything i said has seemed mean, i do apologize.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 ... 2614 2615 2616 2617 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games