Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Worst Things You Can Ever Say As A Pagan Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:31 pm
"First off, I'm gonna start this post off with saying that I don't want to undermine the power of Highpriestesses over the world and their role in the lifes of many wiccans.

And I want to say that this post is in no way me trying to level the high priestesses of this world with fishsticks and christmastrees and tractors.

But I am a solitairy wicca, i've initiated myself and with out shame I can say that I didn't need any other wicca to do that. "
WTF??? Fishsticks? gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:26 pm
Elfin Brill
"First off, I'm gonna start this post off with saying that I don't want to undermine the power of Highpriestesses over the world and their role in the lifes of many wiccans.

And I want to say that this post is in no way me trying to level the high priestesses of this world with fishsticks and christmastrees and tractors.

But I am a solitairy wicca, i've initiated myself and with out shame I can say that I didn't need any other wicca to do that. "
WTF??? Fishsticks? gonk
There is a long pagan tradition of Trouting- which was stolen from the Catholics. Instead of beating someone to a pulp out of agner- you hit them across the face with a Trout.

It is so funny in practice, it doesn't violate the Wiccan Rede. 3nodding  

TeaDidikai

Henry Dorsett Case

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:17 pm
I've grown tired of this scene, which I have seen repeated far too often...
Guy 1: "You're wrong because of this definition."
Guy 2: "That definition is wrong."
Guy 1: "It's not my definition - take it up with the guy that wrote it!"  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:59 am
Henry Dorsett Case
I've grown tired of this scene, which I have seen repeated far too often...
Guy 1: "You're wrong because of this definition."
Guy 2: "That definition is wrong."
Guy 1: "It's not my definition - take it up with the guy that wrote it!"
This is somewhat valid.

Look at the shift in the Wicca debate.  

TeaDidikai

Henry Dorsett Case

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:55 am
TeaDidikai
This is somewhat valid.
Contested.
Refusal to defend your position when your definition is proven wrong, instead leading your opponent to "take it up with" the person who wrote the incorrect definition, is not a valid debate tactic. You have now stopped debating altogether and are instead hoping that your sources will debate for you. Invalidation of a source or definition should be met with a new, less impeachable source or definition, or an outright concession. The problem is that too many people respond with the equivalent of "I'm basing my position on someone else's statement; if they're wrong, I'm still right." or "Hey! Don't be mean to me for repeating bullshit as fact, or I'll tell my mommy!". The person offering up the false definition is then attempting to shield themselves from repercussion by directing all opprobium to their sources, rather than their own inability to provide useful facts and evidence in the course of debate.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:58 am
Ah, the subtle dance between siting one's sources and appealing to authority. sweatdrop

Edit: xd Wikipedia lists siting Wikipedia as an example of the logic fallacy of Argumentum ad Verecundiam. rofl  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:19 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
TeaDidikai
This is somewhat valid.
Contested.
Refusal to defend your position when your definition is proven wrong, instead leading your opponent to "take it up with" the person who wrote the incorrect definition, is not a valid debate tactic.

Except- no matter which side says this, it can either be an appeal to authority or an appeal to tradition.

Quote:
You have now stopped debating altogether and are instead hoping that your sources will debate for you. Invalidation of a source or definition should be met with a new, less impeachable source or definition, or an outright concession.
Problem. Validity of a source (in this case for a definition) can be contested, and this argument needs more context to identify the fallacy in play.

Quote:
The problem is that too many people respond with the equivalent of "I'm basing my position on someone else's statement; if they're wrong, I'm still right."
That would be a completely different fallacy all together- which isn't indicated in your post.

Your intial statment lacks the context needed to cite who is being fallacious- thus your post can be valid.

For example- if Guy 1 in this case is citing Gardner's use of Wicca, Gardner as an Authority as to the application of the term is a valid argument.

If Guy 1 is citing Silver Ravenwolf- then there is a problem.

If Guy 2 is citing Garnder to discount the individual who is citing Ravenwolf, then you have an appeal to authority countered by a legit source.

If Guy 2 is citing Ravenwolf to discount Gardner- then you have an appeal to popularity/authority.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:31 am
"Harry Potter is Wiccan!"  

Henry Dorsett Case

Aesi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:30 pm
eek "My High Priest made a prophecy about me. I'm gonna be the next Hitler!"  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:47 pm
Aesi
Ba-pssh. Hitler's small potatoes. Nostradamus prophecied about me, specifically - and I'm the Anti-Christ! You just wait 'til I'm out of high school!  

Henry Dorsett Case

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:28 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
Aesi
Ba-pssh. Hitler's small potatoes. Nostradamus prophecied about me, specifically - and I'm the Anti-Christ! You just wait 'til I'm out of high school!

"I cannot recall making any prophecies about you? "  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:35 am
Ello!
This is my first post in this guild but I've been reading stuffs. I have to say, this thread is frickin' awesome. Here's my input

"I was actually a powerful deamon (lol, spelling) in my past life because a guy told me so on instant messenger!"

Sadly that really came out of someone's mouth....and she was serious. yikes. gonk  

iolitefire

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:33 am
"my split personality is a demon who says your blessed by Dagon!" oh the things i have put up with.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:06 am
"I'm juggling souls" *idiot waves hand around in a juggling patterns* "You can't see them cause their invisable!"

This is based on a true story...and by based I mean the true story was worse. xp  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:17 pm
"Merlins got nuthin on me!" neutral  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 227 228 229 230 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games