Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Doctor Who/Torchwood Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25 26 27 28 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Favourite Doctor?
  Patrick Troughton
  John Pertwee
  Tom Baker
  Peter Davidson
  Colin Baker
  Sylvester Mcoy
  Christopher Eccleston
  David Tennant
View Results

Smigg-the-Miserable

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:47 am
Sky Seeker
ficklefiend
and_solo_said
He is so gay.

soooo gay.

He's still sexy. heart

I love Torchwood. It just rocks.

I agree.

I like the fact that it's not just Doctor Who with more blood and swearing, but also deals with mature themes in a mature way. With added blood and swearing. To be honest I think it would actually hold up pretty well by itself, even without the Doctor Who connection. In fact, it didn't have the Doctor Who connection then people might not spend so much time complaining about how it's not as good as they think it should be and so on.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:12 pm
I think its a lot more childish and tactless than Dr Who in its far too obvious attempts to be adult.  

and_solo_said

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:17 pm
Is it, in trying to be adult, insinuating that Doctor Who is childish?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:24 pm
Dr Who has innocence and subtlety. Torchwood seems to go out of its way to make itself adult and in doing so makes itself look childish...to me at least.  

and_solo_said

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:43 pm
and_solo_said
Dr Who has innocence and subtlety. Torchwood seems to go out of its way to make itself adult and in doing so makes itself look childish...to me at least.

You put it very well. Then again, I still haven't seen it so I can't really say...  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:48 pm
and_solo_said

It is possible that they may be trying a little too hard to distinguish themselves from Doctor Who, but I don't think it really makes them look childish. If you look beyond the blood, sex and swearing then you'll see what to me seem to be some well thought out characters with plenty of potential for interesting development, and some really quite dark plot-lines and themes, which I think are the real reason that it is classed as an adult show. Tonight's episode, for example, was very well written and quite creepy, exploring some interesting ideas about a number of things. I would sight as an example the theme of the girl who wanted to cling onto her childhood and the adults who want her to grow up and behave more normally. Also the whole thing of Jack's relationship with the old lady, which I think runs along a similar line to things like Love and Monsters, and some of the Short Trips stories, i.e. the results of traveling through time and the effects it can have on those around time travelers.  

Smigg-the-Miserable

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:14 am
and_solo_said
Dr Who has innocence and subtlety.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/subtle  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:20 am
I saw them setting up for some of the outdoor Torchwood scenes 3nodding Living in Cardiff RULES!  

Tsamikayu

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:15 pm
I missed the christmas episode of Doctor Who! (and a couple of torchwoods and Qi!!) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

How do they expect me to wait for a dvd? Godammit!! Is it on Youtube yet?

and I am on 49k internet. Yes, you heard it, 49K! Putting me onto dial-up is tantamount to torture and violation of the geneva convention thingy. Grrrr! *stupidnewzealandgrumble*  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:23 am
The Christmas episode wasn't too amazing. Good but not amazing.

I've definately missed the last 3 Torchwoods and if there was a double episode yesterday (my brother insists there was one, I'm not so sure) I've missed it too. Why there had to be parties every Wednesday for the past 3 weeks I don't know.
Was there a double episode yesterday? My electricity was out so I've missed all the hogmany tv (not much of a loss) as well as the new years day tv (Wind in the Willows looked good xp ).

I couldn't find the Torchwood episodes on Youtube last week, I might look again. There are bits on the bbc website, they talk you through how they made each episode and there is episode highlights. You get the jist of it.

Thoughts on the Sarch Jane program? I think it looks like one Doctor who spin off too many but will have a look at it anyway.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Smigg-the-Miserable

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:48 pm
It was indeed a double bill, and I thought it was pretty good. I loved the end. That said, it did leave a few loose ends, which I assume will be tied up in the second series.

I haven't watched the Sarah Jane thing yet, but I have it recorded. My friend says that it's not bad.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:24 am
They already tried to do a sarah jane and k9 spin off in the seventies or eighties. It was a horrible failure apparently. I think it's kind of cute that they want to open up the programme for kids though. I get the feeling that Doctor Who is quite a wholesome thing to watch, you know?  

ficklefiend
Crew

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:47 am
MARCH 31st!!!

I'm going to be working! gonk gonk gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:05 pm
ficklefiend
MARCH 31st!!!

That's not as bad as my friend. He'd been waiting most of his life for Doctor Who to make a return, and when it finally did he had to miss the first episode to go to Easter mass.  

Smigg-the-Miserable

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:01 pm
ficklefiend
MARCH 31st!!!

I've neatly managed to get off working.
Unfortuanatly it means my friend, who also likes Dr Who is working but I didn't realise it was on then when I said she could do the evening and I'd do day.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25 26 27 28 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games