Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru a la Deoridhe Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:02 pm
patch99329
p.s- Sorry to bend your ear about such things. But you are the only none fluffy asatru I actually know. sweatdrop

No worries; I like answering questions.

Looks accurate to me. Loki is one of the more misunderstood gods. I'm impressed by the detailing and citation of the original language, too; someone did his homework.

And I love the spelling Þórr. *snuggles it*

Neko Wyndy Wytch
1: So I've gone to the Local Borders and was looking for books on Norse Mythology. I wanted translations of the Eddas and Sagas. One of the books I bought was:Myths of the Norsemen from the Eddas and Sagas by H.A.Guerber. So far the only myth set I've been able to idenify was the creation myth. The rest of the book is broken up into chapters. Do you know anything about this author and his work?

I'm on the second chapter that deals with Odin. Now I remember you mentioned before that Odin has many "names". Are there any common names other than Odin and "All father" that I should be looking for as I read other myths and sagas?

Odin is All Father, and Masked One, and First, Second, and Third, and Spear Thrower, One Eyed, Cruel Eyed, Far-seeing and Fairing, he.

He has around eighty names recorded in I think Grimnirsmal - Grimnir being one of his names.

Myths of the Norsemen from the Eddas and Sagas is pretty, from what I remember. It's a compilation of the commonly accepted stories of the Eddas. It is not a translation of either the Eddas or the Sagas; you will likely find those in the Anthro section if you want them bound. I recommend Larrington and Hollander both as translators; Hollander is more poetic, and Larrington is more scholarly. Bellows also did a translation in the thirties which is available at Sacred Texts.

Neko Wyndy Wytch
2: What is your personal view on the creation myth and related stories?

I think they are great myths.

Neko Wyndy Wytch
3: Could you explain what they mean when they refer to Odin's "Wild hunt" and him as a "Wind God"?

It is said that Odin hunts in the winter. I've not seen anything Eddically to support this,a nd it could be a conflation of he and Herne or one of the other Wild Hunt Leaders, but it suits him. Odin is often associated with Ansuz, which is a rune of then gentle creeping force of wind which breaks down doors through trickery.

Neko Wyndy Wytch
4: Is Loki a deity or a Giant descendant? Some have said he has the mind of a God, but the heart of a Giant. Does this have any standing with the lore?[/uote]
Loki, like Odin and Thor and many of the other gods, is a son of a Jotun. He is also one of the Aesir - that is to say, one of the gods.

Neko Wyndy Wytch
Could you repost your favorite/prefered authors and translations of the Eddas and the like?

Larrington, Hollander, and Bellows are my favorite Edda translators. My book of Sagas was too large, so I left it behind, so I don't have it handy. Tea has a copy, though - Tea-love, who translated that huge copy of all the Eddas? Jenny Blain is my favorite person currently publishing scholarly work on Asatru and the Norse, and she's really nice, too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:38 pm
I was skulking around the AFA site and reading some of the essays on there, and wondered what your opinion was of Stephen A. McNallen. He seems to be the main essayist on there. This essay I found quite interesting (although a bit uncomfortable for me) and also wondered if you could counter his points.

Thanks!  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Ultraviolett1127
I was skulking around the AFA site and reading some of the essays on there, and wondered what your opinion was of Stephen A. McNallen. He seems to be the main essayist on there. This essay I found quite interesting (although a bit uncomfortable for me) and also wondered if you could counter his points.

Thanks!

Sure! Simplified, of course, and somewhat snarky.

Quote:
"The Vikings spread their seed far and wide on an equal opportunity basis, with no regard to race, religion, or culture."

What the vikings did is immaterial in terms of bloodline. What the descendants of northern European stock did is the critical point when discussing any sort of limiting of the field of "people who worship the gods" by ancestry. By that measure, someone of pure Italian descent should not be "allowed" to worship the gods, but the black descendant of a northern European slaveholder should. If that's the case for you, let's talk. If not, ******** off you worthless, racist twit, and get the ******** out of my religion.

In any case, even assuming there is an "allowed" in place 1100 years after the death of the last Aesir-worshiping-culture, what gives you the right to say it's ancestry alone?

Quote:
"All men and women are descendants from Ask and Embla, the primordial man and women who were found, as tree trunks on the strand, by Odin, Hoenir and Lodur and given life. Thus, Asatru is the legacy of all humans."

Eh, no argument with most of his claims here, but saying that this sort of generalization is racism is actually a trope used to justify racism (systemic discrimination against a group on the basis of a characteristic by a group which does not share that characteristic but holds significant influence). Plus it's lame.

Quote:
"The Gods and Goddesses have sex with all sorts of beings - dwarves, giants, and the like. This is more evidence that discrimination, particularly in the realm of relationships, sex, and marriage, has no basis in Norse culture!"

You didn't respond to the point, genius. Saying, "We're not like those fundamentalist Christians" is not a response, it's a parry.

Quote:
"Asatru is a religion, and joining it is no different than becoming an Episcopalian, a Muslim, or a Wiccan. Asatru is no more 'European' than Islam is 'Arabic' or Buddhism is 'Asian.'"

He says this is false. I say it is true because the people who created Asatru (Asatru is not 100% What Our Honored Ancestors Did, thank the Gods; for one thing we have computers) think of religion in the modern manner, by and large, not the tribal one. There IS little to no actual TRIBAL worship of the gods. If you want to be tribal and authentic to The Old Ways, I recommend you start by eschewing computers, electricity, indoor plumbing, and English.

Quote:
Shedding the Psychic Remnants of Christianity

Denying people the right to follow the calls of the gods based on simplistic understandings of genetics and heritage is not shedding the remnants of Christianity, it is embracing the worst of White Christianity and going bowling.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:27 pm
Deoridhe
If not, ******** off you worthless, racist twit, and get the ******** out of my religion.

I wish there was more of this.
I wish more Asatru took a harder stand against this stuff.

I was almost attacked at the most recent gathering I went to. It was an open Blot (I was invited to offer to my gods by the Godhi when I asked before the ritual). After the rite there was some casual conversation. My ears perked up at the G~ word and then I saw a group of three guys and a gal coming across the field at me. Two slurs out of their mouths and the huge (well armed) friends I was talking to stepped forward.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:18 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
If not, ******** off you worthless, racist twit, and get the ******** out of my religion.

I wish there was more of this.
I wish more Asatru took a harder stand against this stuff.

I was almost attacked at the most recent gathering I went to. It was an open Blot (I was invited to offer to my gods by the Godhi when I asked before the ritual). After the rite there was some casual conversation. My ears perked up at the G~ word and then I saw a group of three guys and a gal coming across the field at me. Two slurs out of their mouths and the huge (well armed) friends I was talking to stepped forward.

most AsatruaR are white. Most whites are unconscious of or embrace their privilege in some manner which results in frequent racist behavior and occasional racist language. *shrugs* I don't like it, but it's comprehensible.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:34 am
It's getting to the point where I'm not comfortable going to open Norse rites.
Maybe it's a PacNW thing- but AN violence seems to be on the rise again- and when the AN feels it's oats, the Odinists tend to pop up more often as well.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:48 pm
TeaDidikai
It's getting to the point where I'm not comfortable going to open Norse rites.
Maybe it's a PacNW thing- but AN violence seems to be on the rise again- and when the AN feels it's oats, the Odinists tend to pop up more often as well.

That sucks. 8( People are assholes.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:29 pm
Deo, you've probably answered this before, and if you have, i apologize for repeating; are you also a member of the Troth?  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:23 pm
saint dreya
Deo, you've probably answered this before, and if you have, i apologize for repeating; are you also a member of the Troth?

I was a while ago, but i haven't been for a while. Idunna just wasn't worth it when it was coming out twice a year. I made it to Trothmoot once, with my kindred.

have they gotten a more organized head person, or is Paxton still in charge?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:04 pm
Deoridhe
saint dreya

I was a while ago, but i haven't been for a while. Idunna just wasn't worth it when it was coming out twice a year. I made it to Trothmoot once, with my kindred.

have they gotten a more organized head person, or is Paxton still in charge?
Patricia Lafayllve is now Steerswoman, and i think Idunna has expanded to quarterly *checks* yep, quarterly now.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:43 pm
This is probably an odd question, but I'm really not certain on it...

I still have my grandmother's ashes...would it be acceptable/appropriate to put them on my little altar/shrine? sweatdrop . I don't think she'd be offended one way or the other, and I know a good portion of Asatru is honoring the ancestors...

Any input would be appreciated.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:31 am
Please note this answer isn't coming from an Asatru perspective.
It's really not that odd of a question. If you could contact your grandmother and ask her oppinion, that would be helpful.
Personally, I rather like the idea. I think it is a nice way to honor deceased loved ones.  

RubyLight

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:23 pm
saint dreya
Patricia Lafayllve is now Steerswoman, and i think Idunna has expanded to quarterly *checks* yep, quarterly now.

I may have to look into renewing my subscription, then.

Ultraviolett1127
This is probably an odd question, but I'm really not certain on it...

I still have my grandmother's ashes...would it be acceptable/appropriate to put them on my little altar/shrine? sweatdrop . I don't think she'd be offended one way or the other, and I know a good portion of Asatru is honoring the ancestors...

Any input would be appreciated.

That would, I think, depend on your aunt. Religiously, unless there are prohibitions against death (definitely in Shinto but I'm not sure about others) just about anything can go on an altar. In terms of Asatru, the female ancestors are considered to be part of the hamingja - the family luck - and the male ancestors are considered to be in the ground where they are buried (and some female ancestors there, too, since Odin consults the voelva at her barrow mound). In terms of your own practice, though, I think your inner sense and what you know of your Aunt should guide you.

I honor two Christian women, my Great Aunt and my Grandfather's mother, as my Disir (female ancestral spirits) because by my own estimation and those of my mother they would be pleased to be part of the family in such a way to me.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:33 pm
I was sortof hoping that someone could tell me how I can start...hmm, I don't really know how to word this... How can I start being Asatru(I hope people get what I'm asking)? My parents and all of my relatives are Christian but I'm really just not into it. I really feel a connection with the Asatru religion(mabey because I'm Norse or mabey not), but I know my parents wouldn't really approve of me not being Christian. I'm also confused if I should just do what they would want or do what I want...any comments that could help me with any of this?  

a_witches_past

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:11 pm
a_witches_past
I was sortof hoping that someone could tell me how I can start...hmm, I don't really know how to word this... How can I start being Asatru(I hope people get what I'm asking)? My parents and all of my relatives are Christian but I'm really just not into it. I really feel a connection with the Asatru religion(mabey because I'm Norse or mabey not), but I know my parents wouldn't really approve of me not being Christian. I'm also confused if I should just do what they would want or do what I want...any comments that could help me with any of this?

My first question is, do you live at home or are otherwise dependent on your parents? If so, I would recommend doing some anthropological research, read the Eddas, read the Sagas, maybe read some of Jenny Blain's stuff or Stephan Flowers,and pass on converting from/leaving Christianity until you are living under your own steam. Starting a religion by deceiving the nearest and dearest to you while also making use of their money and property is a conflict of oaths and ethics that I really can't recommend.

I can't tell you what you should do, though. your path is yours.If you're confused, waiting and researching is a good way to pass the time until your direction becomes clear to you.

Also, mistrust ANYONE who tells you they know your path. Most often, they know how to take advantage of you.  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff