Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Aino Ailill
Sophist
Calixti
Sophist
This sexist pedagogy really ******** disgusts and irritates me. Being brainwashed is not enough, she also wants to inflict it on other people. BLAH. evil
First reaction: ********. That. Noise. Don't think I can say anything other than that. >.<

If you scroll down you can see that she posted a quote on the right side of the screen labeled "What Feminists think," and it's your typical sexist, ignorant garbage, written by A MAN of course. rolleyes I love that she thinks having big hair means power over men. Let's just not talk about how becoming a sex object is exactly how they've coerced women into being inferior, even by ignorant choice. Let's just not go there.

UGH.

What does it being written by a man have to do with anything?

Throughout the entire site she parrots this "ideal women do this" or "you're not a real woman if you don't wear make up" kind of attitude that it almost seems like a caricature created by a man. I'm just having a really hard time believing that she's for real. I just thought it interesting that her ideas of feminism come from a male source that warps its meaning, much like the rest of her ideas about what a women is supposed to be.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Although, if a woman does want to be submissive and aspires to being the quintessential 50's housewife, more power to her.

Granted, that doesn't excuse some of the language of the blog or that it might be written by a man. :/

Collowrath

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:22 pm

Collowrath
Although, if a woman does want to be submissive and aspires to being the quintessential 50's housewife, more power to her.

Granted, that doesn't excuse some of the language of the blog or that it might be written by a man. :/

I agree. Being a housewife can be fulfilling for some women. But to then declare that you're not a woman unless you stay home, rear children, and let your man be a REAL MAN was really distasteful to me. Whatever "real man" means.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:49 pm

Sophist
Aino Ailill
Sophist
Calixti
Sophist
This sexist pedagogy really ******** disgusts and irritates me. Being brainwashed is not enough, she also wants to inflict it on other people. BLAH. evil
First reaction: ********. That. Noise. Don't think I can say anything other than that. >.<

If you scroll down you can see that she posted a quote on the right side of the screen labeled "What Feminists think," and it's your typical sexist, ignorant garbage, written by A MAN of course. rolleyes I love that she thinks having big hair means power over men. Let's just not talk about how becoming a sex object is exactly how they've coerced women into being inferior, even by ignorant choice. Let's just not go there.

UGH.

What does it being written by a man have to do with anything?

Throughout the entire site she parrots this "ideal women do this" or "you're not a real woman if you don't wear make up" kind of attitude that it almost seems like a caricature created by a man.

Why 'by a man?'

Quote:
I'm just having a really hard time believing that she's for real. I just thought it interesting that her ideas of feminism come from a male source that warps its meaning, much like the rest of her ideas about what a women is supposed to be.

The ideas originate from a male source? Can you justify this?

Aino Ailill

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:28 pm

job hunting SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! scream gonk scream gonk scream gonk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:32 pm

Fiddlers Green
Recursive Paradox
The internet certainly does, Gaia is slowly working it's way towards one. This forum is more a blend of many different cultures together (because of all the cultures that are in this guild) so it's hard to really pinpoint any distinct overall culture for the guild.

To clarify... has the internet reached the level where applying our own cultural standards to it would be culturocentricism?

Perhaps. It's iffy. The biggest difficulty is that the internet has largely developed an extraordinarily harmful culture (e.g. 4chan and /b/), comparable in some ways to the Frosts.

The hard part comes in where a large number of folks are using the internet through their own culture. The actual areas where a unique culture has formed are rare.

Quote:
You can see where this is going, of course, but I wish to gain further knowledge of the conditions for something being it's own valid culture and how it must interface with other cultures in this paradigm.
I'm trying to establish the givens of cultural validity.

I can sort of see where this is going, although I can't see what direction it would take with the situation between Tea and redwings.

Recursive Paradox

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks for turning all my high school friends against me.

Besides my family, I have no real reason to go back home anymore. The only reason I was attached to that place was the friends. stare
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Aino Ailill
Quote:
Throughout the entire site she parrots this "ideal women do this" or "you're not a real woman if you don't wear make up" kind of attitude that it almost seems like a caricature created by a man.

Why 'by a man?'

Instead of man I'll say "result of ideas of male superiority," which typically are expressed in patriarchal societies, although I suppose women too are capable of conceiving themselves as not worth anything but for what's between their legs and how well they can clean the house.

Edit: Though I can think of a man who expresses ideas like this. Confucius. I wasn't using man to say "all men think this."

Quote:

Yes. If you look at the directions I gave Calixti to look at the quote, you can find it as well. It's written by Henry something. I'm pretty sure Henry is not a unisex name but I could be wrong.

Bastemhet

Calixti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:55 pm

whiporwill-o
job hunting SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! scream gonk scream gonk scream gonk
It really does. *hugs*
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:32 pm

Sophist
Instead of man I'll say "result of ideas of male superiority," which typically are expressed in patriarchal societies, although I suppose women too are capable of conceiving themselves as not worth anything but for what's between their legs and how well they can clean the house.

Edit: Though I can think of a man who expresses ideas like this. Confucius. I wasn't using man to say "all men think this."
I am now reading one of their PDFs, and though based on initial work by a woman (which my sister in law owns and has been giggling her way through for months now), the version posted there is rewritten and edited by a man, and has some amount more 'male'-ness to it than the original text that I've seen.

Though they're both clearly caught in the 1950s, and while some of the ideas aren't bad (actually listening to your partner, for one), I wonder how safe some of them are in practice (staying with an abusive man because you can get him to stop hitting you if you just become June Cleaver).

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

Daearen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:35 pm

the law of three is true crying and still I am paying for past mistakes.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:36 pm

Sophist
Aino Ailill
Quote:

Why 'by a man?'

Quote:

Yes. If you look at the directions I gave Calixti to look at the quote, you can find it as well. It's written by Henry something. I'm pretty sure Henry is not a unisex name but I could be wrong.

I did follow it. I couldn't find it. Searching for 'Henry,' though, I think I have found what you are referencing:

""I don't want to be a woman. I don't want to look good for men. I fear and distrust men. I want male prerogatives. I want to look like a man. I want to be a man." - Henry Makow

If not this one, then it might be one of the following:

"A truly elegant taste is generally accompanied with excellency of heart " - Henry Fielding

"To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not wealthy, to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common - this is my symphony." - William Henry Channing

But I don't see how any of these would support that the ideas originate from a male? That they originate from this Henry? Unless you ares imply saying that it is interesting that a male source agrees with e's ideas?

Aino Ailill

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:40 pm

Wow, I just use Facebook to schedule games and let people know when I am asleep. xd

As far as written by a man issue.
Some person's believe that a man can never truly understand a woman and therefor cannot have an informed opinion. At the very least, it will always be an outsiders opinion. To be fair, some of these same people hold the juxtaposed to be true, that a woman can never understand a man, or will always be an outsider passing judgement.

I've already observed about as much as I can benefit from in this type of exchange. In so much that all the dialogue I can find, with rare exception, is just a permutation of previous dialogue, and much of it reeks of troll feces or incendiaries in presentation. Sometimes it is hard to tell when someone is honestly trolling, an @$$hat, or just erecting a strawman to make their opponents look bad. At the end of the day, I think people need more sodium-chloride to go with most of the articles they read online.

Poe, my interest in the over-arching topic really left the realm of it's origin some time ago. I will reference it so that I might obtain perspective, but my motives are expansion of (my own) understanding, and thus tangential to the exchange that took place. However, with Internet culture in a gray area for this dialogue, I shall need a bit more time to articulate my next point. Then again, it may already be satisfied.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:45 pm

Fiddlers Green
I've already observed about as much as I can benefit from in this type of exchange. In so much that all the dialogue I can find, with rare exception, is just a permutation of previous dialogue, and much of it reeks of troll feces or incendiaries in presentation. Sometimes it is hard to tell when someone is honestly trolling, an @$$hat, or just erecting a strawman to make their opponents look bad. At the end of the day, I think people need more sodium-chloride to go with most of the articles they read online.
Me too. But hey, NaCl is alright in small amounts. biggrin

As for the trolling/satire point, it reminds me of something my husband said once: After a certain point, a fundamentalist and a satirist will be impossible to tell apart. The rhetoric will be so similar, you'll think they're both jokes or both horrible reality.

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Byaggha
Me too. But hey, NaCl is alright in small amounts. biggrin

As for the trolling/satire point, it reminds me of something my husband said once: After a certain point, a fundamentalist and a satirist will be impossible to tell apart. The rhetoric will be so similar, you'll think they're both jokes or both horrible reality.

Now, best/worst of all is the damage it does to the actual point of the dialogue being taken seriously.
I've already got a solid concept working... some people will not before they turn away in disgust, or see the whole thing as a slap-fight amongst equally ridiculous pundits. Thus damaging the ability for progress to be made.
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games