Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru a la Deoridhe Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nomad of Nowhere

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:52 am
Well they must have done some... Video games don't have to be canon when they deal with mythology though. The wells and Yggdrasil seem to at least imply that they read up on Norse mythology. You bring up something I had wondered about awhile ago- I had been under the impression that dark elves and trolls were pretty much the same thing, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on that. Or is it just dark elves and dwarfs? It seems a little mixed up, because I read about "dwarfs" in "Svartalfheim", which would imply that they were dark elves. That's the conclusion I reached, but now I'm suspicious about it again.

I saw the ads for the game myself, and I was actually a little disappointed when I found out it was about technology. The idea of the main character being Baldr didn't seem too attractive either. Video games about gods rarely please me though; One game that made me wince was this one called Okami. I just couldn't like it as much as my friend...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:44 pm
TeaDidikai
Wasn't Vitka the feminine form?

From what I know, women weren't allowed in the boys club. ^^ Vitka could be the female form, but Vitki works as well.

Taliah
I guess my only question is to see if the game developers did their mythology homework well.

Sounds like it. Sounds pretty cool, too.

Teague the Druid
Well they must have done some... Video games don't have to be canon when they deal with mythology though. The wells and Yggdrasil seem to at least imply that they read up on Norse mythology. You bring up something I had wondered about awhile ago- I had been under the impression that dark elves and trolls were pretty much the same thing, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on that. Or is it just dark elves and dwarfs? It seems a little mixed up, because I read about "dwarfs" in "Svartalfheim", which would imply that they were dark elves. That's the conclusion I reached, but now I'm suspicious about it again.

We don't know, is the short answer. We don't know a lot about the different alfar and there are a lot of theories, but no one has reached the point where they can ask the right questions and get reliable answers.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:31 pm
Deoridhe
Teague the Druid
You prefer? When I said "Is that any better?" I meant to ask if comparing the Norns to the Moirae was any less fluffy than comparing them to the Wiccan triple goddess- you know, since they do at least both rule over fate- not if you liked them more. I would be embarrassed to come to an Asatru thread and ask if they liked a Hellenic belief more!

No, the Moirae rule over fate. The Norns record Wyrd. Wyrd and fate are similar in that both deal with the future, but they are different things. Fate was viewed as immutable by the Greeks and Romans, so far as I know. Indeed, it's central to many of their dramas that people who attempt to change their fate end up fulfilling it through trying to avoid it. Wyrd is a lot more mutable and uncertain.
The mutablity of fate is slightly more ambiguous than that, but for the greatest part, it is completely binding. Zeus himself must obey fate, as seen though him allowing his son Sarpedon to be killed in the Trojan war, despite his utmost desire to save him.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:05 pm
New toy!

User Image

User Image Improved.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:56 pm
Explain please?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:08 pm
I'm with Tea on this - explain for the non-runic gifted Buddhist too, please? biggrin  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

Striga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:47 pm
Looks to me like the rune rows arranged into a circle. I think...
I have no idea if there's more to it than that, though.

Though from cross-referencing internet sources, it looks like it's got a second Isa instead of Ingwaz. Don't take me as anything resembling an authority, though.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:20 pm
Striga

Though from cross-referencing internet sources, it looks like it's got a second Isa instead of Ingwaz. Don't take me as anything resembling an authority, though.
That's what I was hoping she would explain. sweatdrop  

TeaDidikai

Striga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:51 am
TeaDidikai
Striga

That's what I was hoping she would explain. sweatdrop

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea if that would be intentional or not, or what it would mean if it were intentional.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:01 pm
Whoops, not intentional. *kicks her rune font* I got a new rune font and I was playing with trying to get the lot into a circle. Figuring out which letter translate to which runes is irritating, though.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:02 pm
Deoridhe
Whoops, not intentional. *kicks her rune font* I got a new rune font and I was playing with trying to get the lot into a circle. Figuring out which letter translate to which runes is irritating, though.
Ah. That makes sense.

Tried building a simple graphic cypher?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:15 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
Ah. That makes sense.

Tried building a simple graphic cypher?

I should. Ingwaz as Q would have never occurred to me.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

patch99329

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:41 am
I found an article about loki online due to an argument over at LJ.
It's called 'top 10 misconceptions about loki', you might have seen it before.
I don't expect you to read the whole thing just to answer my silly question, but how accurate would you say the article is, in your opinion?

http://www.ragnarokr.com/Introductions/top_ten.html

Thankyou. ^_^

p.s- Sorry to bend your ear about such things. But you are the only none fluffy asatru I actually know. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:31 pm
patch99329
I found an article about loki online due to an argument over at LJ.
It's called 'top 10 misconceptions about loki', you might have seen it before.
I don't expect you to read the whole thing just to answer my silly question, but how accurate would you say the article is, in your opinion?

http://www.ragnarokr.com/Introductions/top_ten.html

Thankyou. ^_^

p.s- Sorry to bend your ear about such things. But you are the only none fluffy asatru I actually know. sweatdrop

I've read that before, but I can't really say I know enough to comment on it's accuracy.  

Striga

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:36 pm
I have a few questions:

1: So I've gone to the Local Borders and was looking for books on Norse Mythology. I wanted translations of the Eddas and Sagas. One of the books I bought was:Myths of the Norsemen from the Eddas and Sagas by H.A.Guerber. So far the only myth set I've been able to idenify was the creation myth. The rest of the book is broken up into chapters. Do you know anything about this author and his work?

I'm on the second chapter that deals with Odin. Now I remember you mentioned before that Odin has many "names". Are there any common names other than Odin and "All father" that I should be looking for as I read other myths and sagas?

2: What is your personal view on the creation myth and related stories?

3: Could you explain what they mean when they refer to Odin's "Wild hunt" and him as a "Wind God"?

4: Is Loki a deity or a Giant descendant? Some have said he has the mind of a God, but the heart of a Giant. Does this have any standing with the lore?

5: Could you repost your favorite/prefered authors and translations of the Eddas and the like?  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff